lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 11-30-2012, 06:01 PM   #1
SDrob
Not Yet Wild

Default 1980 CC refurbish ...scared to plug in the charger

Hello all, I just got a 80 club car for use around my property. All 6 batteries were bad do I have replaced them with Trojan t105s. The batteries came charged and the cart seems to run great. I have only taken it on a few short test runs because I REALLY want to make these batteries last as long as possible (and I read the battery sticky thread) and I want to plug in this charger and get these batteries topped off. So there were some 12v accessories (lights and cd player) hooked up and I left them disconnected or pulled the wires all together before installing the new batteries. Also replaced a few cables that were in bad shape with 4g wire.
Now the problem (or maybe not): After test runs I could hear the batteries bubbling and the first run I could smell a faint smell of electrical...electrical something. Dont think it was quite as bad as burning electronics and it may only have been some burn in smell from the new batteries and cables. Smell is gone and cart still works fine.
Is it possible to burn out my new batteries by using a bad charger? I am guessing that it is possible. So what should I do/check for before/right after plugging in the charger that came with the cart? I am new to electric carts and I dont want to burn out my expensive new batteries! Is there a volt meter reading that I should keep an eye on for this first charge?

Thank you
SDrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 11-30-2012, 07:49 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 1980 CC refurbish ...scared to plug in the charger

Check the pack voltage as it sits. Check the voltage at the charge receptacle, is it close to the same? Plug in the charger and let it go. 1st charge takes the longest...up to 12 hours and more.
36v pack could run up as high as 46.5 volts before cut off. Subsequent charges will be shorter.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2012, 02:54 PM   #3
SDrob
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1980 CC refurbish ...scared to plug in the charger

Thank you much! That is exactly the info I was hoping to find here. The voltage in the pack pre charge was 37.1 at the batteries as well as at the on cart charging receptacle. With the charger plugged in about a hour it is sitting at about 41.1v right now. The DC AMP gauge on the charger was at around 12 but has steadily dropped over the past hour to aprox 7-8 AMPs. Plan on letting the charger run its 11 hour course and keeping an eye on it, but confidence is high my man. Appreciate the assist big big!

Thanks again,
Rob
SDrob is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car