lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-06-2013, 11:15 AM   #1
Wax
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Did I get ahead of myself?

Should a stock 2004 Club Car DS 48V be able to have 4 people on it (I installed back seat kit) and go up a hill? I have some decently steep grades in my neighborhood, and I really don't want to have to put a more powerful motor and controller in this thing. I'm almost starting to regret an electric instead of gas now that I've seen how it performs in the cold.

It never really even crossed my mind until winter came and I started seeing significant performance reductions (which other members on here said is normal). I just got it in December, so I don't know how it should perform in normal temperatures (it was much warmer when I got it and performed better). All I know is there's no way it would pull 4 people up my hill now, it barely pulled me and a buddy up the hill, and if I go around the neighborhood twice it will barely make it up with just me!
Wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-06-2013, 09:13 PM   #2
SV1
Getting Wild

Default Re: Did I get ahead of myself?

If the batts are good when it gets warmer,it might not be a problem In Minnesota we don't drive the carts in the winter but in the summer many people load their carts pretty heavy, like 6 teenagers, and they still run strong enough that the crabby people complain about the kids racing around and breaking their self imposed 10 miles per hour speed limit.

Last edited by SV1; 02-06-2013 at 09:14 PM.. Reason: spelling
SV1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2013, 10:02 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Sounds like you need to assess your batteries, how old are they?

This is a question I address everyday... The cart with 4 adults on it actually has 5 adults on it because the rear seat weighs 150 pounds. The cart is engineered for 2 people. You may have big tires? Those tires instantly change the gear ratio by 20-35%, great for top steed but a kick in the pants for the motor and generally power drops off especially under load ..... up hill.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 12:59 PM   #4
Wax
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Well the good news is it warmed up to the 50s and 60s this last weekend, and I took the cart out to check it out. I actually pulled my 3 seater jetski down to our lake lot (mostly downhill) and it did fine even backing it up in the thick wet mud. It seemed to be running a bit stronger. I took my dog for a run, and all winter I could only make it around the neighborhood about once, if I did it the second time I was basically pushing it up the last hill with my hand on the gas! It made it around my neighborhood twice with what seemed with no issue yesterday.

Scotty, as for my batteries, I am not sure of the age. The guy I bought it from said they were 2 years old. They are Crowns I think, if I remember right. Also BTW I do not have big tires, I have just stock tires with chains on the back for the winter and mud. I don't plan on doing a lift or big tires.

I guess another question about having the back seat...should I be putting in a rear HD leaf kit? If I do that, will it also raise the back maybe an inch or so? I would really like to raise the back up a small amount (maybe around an inch or two at most), just for purposes of plowing and hauling my smaller trailers around.
Wax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:24 PM   #5
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV1 View Post
If the batts are good when it gets warmer,it might not be a problem In Minnesota we don't drive the carts in the winter but in the summer many people load their carts pretty heavy, like 6 teenagers, and they still run strong enough that the crabby people complain about the kids racing around and breaking their self imposed 10 miles per hour speed limit.
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2013, 07:25 PM   #6
jakesnake27
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wax View Post
Well the good news is it warmed up to the 50s and 60s this last weekend, and I took the cart out to check it out. I actually pulled my 3 seater jetski down to our lake lot (mostly downhill) and it did fine even backing it up in the thick wet mud. It seemed to be running a bit stronger. I took my dog for a run, and all winter I could only make it around the neighborhood about once, if I did it the second time I was basically pushing it up the last hill with my hand on the gas! It made it around my neighborhood twice with what seemed with no issue yesterday.

Scotty, as for my batteries, I am not sure of the age. The guy I bought it from said they were 2 years old. They are Crowns I think, if I remember right. Also BTW I do not have big tires, I have just stock tires with chains on the back for the winter and mud. I don't plan on doing a lift or big tires.

I guess another question about having the back seat...should I be putting in a rear HD leaf kit? If I do that, will it also raise the back maybe an inch or so? I would really like to raise the back up a small amount (maybe around an inch or two at most), just for purposes of plowing and hauling my smaller trailers around.
I think if you install a rear seat, it is also a good idea to put in HD springs.
So yes, it probably would be better...
jakesnake27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car