lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-28-2014, 10:45 AM   #1
sstory
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Default 90 DS wiring all wrong, but cart still runs?

I have a 1990 DS cart that had been running great. Actually it still does run great, the problem I'm having is getting it to die. I finally found a Service Manual online for my cart. And according to the manual, here's how the wiring is supposed to be:
• Accelerator Starter Limit Switch should have an Orange wire on the NC post and a Green wire on the COM post.
• Accelerator Kill Limit Switch should have a Red wire on the NO post and Black/White wires on the COM post.

But here is how mine is currently wired up -- and I have no idea why it even works.
• Accelerator Starter Limit Switch has a White wire on the NC post, a Green wire on the NO post and a Black wire on the COM post.
• Accelerator Kill Limit Switch has a Red/White wire on the NO post and an Orange wire on the COM post.

I'll change all of the wiring around this weekend when I go back to the lake where we keep the cart. I guess I need to find out what the additional wires are running to as well.

Any thoughts to issues I might run into if I just change the wiring connections?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Accelerator Limit Switches.jpg (147.5 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Accelerator Limit Switches2.jpg (143.1 KB, 0 views)
sstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-28-2014, 12:26 PM   #2
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Default Re: 90 DS wiring all wrong, but cart still runs?

Here's your wiring diagram. I don't see anything wired incorrectly in your pics. You're not looking at what you think you're looking at. The accelerator starter and kill limit switches are inside the black box near the battery area (where they are attached to the accelerator linkage). Those two switches in your picture are the neutral lock out and the reverse buzzer switches (on the shifter), and they're wired correctly.

If your motor isn't shutting off, you should check that black wire with the white stripe that is labeled "TO ENGINE KILL HOOKUP". That wire needs to be connected to the ignition coil.

Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:03 PM   #3
sstory
Not Yet Wild
Club Car

Whew, that makes me feel better - thank you. I had taken these pictures awhile back and I "thought" they were of the two switches in the black box. So now I just need to look this weekend and see for sure how those switches are wired up. Then track down the black/white wire to see if/where it is connected. Should I be able to get to where ever it is connected while working from above the engine or will I need to get below the cart to track this wire down?

In the Service Manual, there is a section on the Engine Ignition Circuit that shows a CDI Control Unit -- with a black wire labeled as "To Kill Switch". Should this black wire and the black/white wire from the Kill Limit switch be connected together?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg CDI - Ignition Circuit.jpg (40.3 KB, 0 views)
sstory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2014, 01:27 PM   #4
Springbok
Photoshop Guy

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by sstory View Post
In the Service Manual, there is a section on the Engine Ignition Circuit that shows a CDI Control Unit -- with a black wire labeled as "To Kill Switch". Should this black wire and the black/white wire from the Kill Limit switch be connected together?
Yes I believe so. I'll look at mine next time I get a chance to be sure. What's labeled "CDI CONTROL UNIT" in that picture is the ignition coil.
Springbok is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car