lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-18-2016, 10:10 PM   #31
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Increasing Speed for a 2012 48V RXV Standard Electric EZGO

Quote:
Originally Posted by kgsc View Post
Bob, where are you looking in SC ?
Custom Carts in Pageland was one of the ones on my list. I talked to them today and had no luck. I've had a few leads on carts that were submerged in the recent flooding. The motor, electrical, and electronics are done for, but the chassis parts are usable. I can buy a new floorboard from E-Z-GO but I prefer to get a parts cart. There are a lot of broken plastic parts in the dash area and it would add up quick buying new from E-Z-GO.

I keep feeling like giving up since this is taking so long. Most of those contacted at courses are refusing to lease more RXVs because of all of the nightmares they have had with them. It's a common theme I keep hearing. After lease, they just want to be rid of them as quickly as possible.

Apparently, the throttle runaway issue has been reported by golfers, as well as brakes suddenly slamming on while driving at speed. If they are on the asphalt cartways when it happens, occupants have been ejected through the windshield. Course owners/operators are concerned.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-18-2016, 11:55 PM   #32
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Maybe I don't see enough "refurb course cars" but I have not once heard of a failure mode of "run-away" Rxv carts. Excluding this example. They all seem to "not run" as opposed to "run full throttle" as seen in this situation. Dealt with corrosion in all the regular "harness problem" spots. Replaced harnesses (if you can get one). The worst corrosion I have seen caused throttle & brake sensor errors, and a not drivable condition. (jerky, get s mad, stops running). I am not saying that didn't happen as described, I am concerned how & why it happened. It's not the "normal way" a electrical failure strikes a Rxv. We must get to the bottom of this.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-19-2016, 07:30 AM   #33
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
Maybe I don't see enough "refurb course cars" but I have not once heard of a failure mode of "run-away" Rxv carts. Excluding this example. They all seem to "not run" as opposed to "run full throttle" as seen in this situation. Dealt with corrosion in all the regular "harness problem" spots. Replaced harnesses (if you can get one). The worst corrosion I have seen caused throttle & brake sensor errors, and a not drivable condition. (jerky, get s mad, stops running). I am not saying that didn't happen as described, I am concerned how & why it happened. It's not the "normal way" a electrical failure strikes a Rxv. We must get to the bottom of this.
These people I spoke with were on the management side of the golf courses in the Pinehurst NC area. My buddy Dan is a golf course builder and he put us in touch with a few of the people he knows at the top. The guys in the cart maintenance sheds have a fairly high turnover rate, so it's hard to find anyone with decent experience. Most of those I spoke with have been in that job for less than a year and had little feedback on the RXVs other than they were constant problems on a fleetwide basis with customer complaints that most TXT carts do not have.

I saved the file that I dumped from my controller, just in case it is needed to provide proof of the exact conditions that caused the runaway condition.

Bob
Old 10-19-2016, 08:39 AM   #34
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
I can bump your speed up if you have the Curtis 2012 and you have stock sized tires. If you have large tires you won't have the torque to do much more. Send me a PM with your contact info. Freedom mode is not required.

Bob
Bob, I'm curious, is this something that can be done with a dealer level access handheld or something specific to the access level you have? Everything I have read/heard says from the dealer level you HAVE to enable freedom mode and are limited to 19.5 MPH.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
cgtech, I'm in the same boat as you, this is the first time I have even heard of a runaway cart and am closely following Bob's comments as I deal mostly with the older generation and up until his problem, I have never heard of a RXV failing in that manner. The biggest concern I have is I remember reading the Bob had tweaked some settings to increase his speed to 25 MPH and I am wondering if possibly one of those settings might have caused the problem.
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2016, 12:00 PM   #35
HiTechRedNeck
Gone Wild

Lots of experience with off lease RXV's
Most with Danaher controllers.

NEVER had a cart move in failure mode.

ALL failures resulted in slow/limp mode (fully under control) or no movement.
HiTechRedNeck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2016, 08:05 AM   #36
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
Bob, I'm curious, is this something that can be done with a dealer level access handheld or something specific to the access level you have? Everything I have read/heard says from the dealer level you HAVE to enable freedom mode and are limited to 19.5 MPH.

cgtech, I'm in the same boat as you, this is the first time I have even heard of a runaway cart and am closely following Bob's comments as I deal mostly with the older generation and up until his problem, I have never heard of a RXV failing in that manner. The biggest concern I have is I remember reading the Bob had tweaked some settings to increase his speed to 25 MPH and I am wondering if possibly one of those settings might have caused the problem.
It is specific to my access level. Those limits in dealer and OEM level programmers can be changed in factory level programmers. No alteration to the factory OS required. Though that is an option, I choose not to do that. Altering the OS can result in unpredictable results. If I test such a change on the bench to run simulations, I always flashed the controller back to stock OS prior to actual use in a vehicle.

In my search for an RXV chassis, I am finding an overwhelming number of dealers that refuse to sell RXVs due to their prior reputation for problems. I keep telling them that it's not as bad as people say, it's just different enough and requires getting used to the unique failure modes to fix them.

Bob
Old 10-21-2016, 10:10 AM   #37
FluxCapacitor
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Apparently, the throttle runaway issue has been reported by golfers, as well as brakes suddenly slamming on while driving at speed. If they are on the asphalt cartways when it happens, occupants have been ejected through the windshield. Course owners/operators are concerned.

Bob

Driver pedal application error is one of the most common causes of accidents.

I have read time and again about "runaway" cars that crashed into pedestrians, storefronts, car washes etc. The drivers are often 100% certain they were braking but accident investigators instead find the gas pedal was floored and no brake pedal was applied.

Factor in golf course distractions and tee time alcohol and you get even higher pedal application errors. After an accident it's easy to blame the rented cart!

Bob has the data to support that HIS cart did have an uncontrolled runaway, including having to shut the cart down after the crash. However, I think other stories of runaways carts without hard evidence must be considered suspicious (at best)

BTW: Here is one of favorites:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdwHPOlYnQE

More Data:

http://www.nhtsa.gov/staticfiles/nti/pdf/811597.pdf
FluxCapacitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 07:36 PM   #38
mbogosia
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
If you have the Curtis version, I have my programmer with me and I'm in the area searching for a parts RXV. A few places I'll be checking are in SC. I can bump your speed up if you have the Curtis 2012 and you have stock sized tires. If you have large tires you won't have the torque to do much more. Send me a PM with your contact info. Freedom mode is not required.

Bob
Bob can you shoot me a text at 615-270-9604? I am a new member and can't private message you right now.
mbogosia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2018, 01:02 AM   #39
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbogosia View Post
Bob can you shoot me a text? I am a new member and can't private message you right now.
One more post and you can PM... I have no cell service where I live. I'll have to drive to a cell coverage area to call or text. I wrote down the number so you can edit it out if you want.

Bob

Tags
2012 48v electric rxv
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO