lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-14-2016, 09:49 AM   #1
Rudi
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Cart clicks but will not move

I have a 1992 EZGO Marathon electric golf cart. I was golfing last Saturday, got off the cart, took my swing, got back on and the cart only clicked but did not move.
I have read many of the threads in this site to try to solve the problem but am still no further ahead. Her are some of the checks performed.
The batteries are new and fully charged with a reading of 38.6 volts across terminals BL- and BL+

When depressing the accelerator, the solenoid clicks, but no movement.

The F/R switch has been rebuilt and getting good contact.

I checked all cables large and small for being loose, frayed, burnt etc. etc. and all is good. All cables by the way are new and were replaced a few months ago.

CHECKING SOLENOID
When checking on the + battery side terminal (large terminal) of the solenoid, I get full battery voltage.
When checking on the controller side of the solenoid, I get 3 to 4 volts less than full battery voltage.
When putting the volt meter + on the positive side of the solenoid and the - on the controller side of the solenoid, I get a zero volts reading. However, when I push the accelerator until it clicks, the voltage reading goes to zero.

POWER TO CONTROLLER
When I connected (-) probe to M- terminal and (+) probe to B+ terminal, I got a reading of 33.7 volts. Approx. 5 volts less than full battery voltage. When I started depressing the accelerator, the voltage jumped to full voltage immediately. Now, I dont know if this is good or bad???
All this time, the motor did not turn.

I also checked the potentiometer as well by pulling the black and white wires that come from the potentiometer to the controller.
I put the (-) probe of the meter in one cable and the (+) probe in the other cable, set the voltmeter to read 20,000 ohms and started depressing the accelerator. I got a reading from zero to 7000 ohms at full throttle. Seems OK.

Now, Im stuck and do not know what direction to go.
I will check the motor to see if the motor turns. If it does then I know the problem is upstream. Looking for suggestions.
Rudi is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-14-2016, 10:58 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Cart clicks but will not move

Welcome to BGW!
Put the test leads on M- and B-. Reading should be 38v when the solenoid just clicks & then go down as the pedal is depressed. If yes, the controller is working, look at the high amp delivery system, particularly the rebuilt F&R.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2016, 11:23 AM   #3
Rudi
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, will do that. What am I looking for and what is the high delivery system?
Old 04-14-2016, 12:42 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
Ok, will do that. What am I looking for and what is the high delivery system?
You are looking for a lost connection in the high amp delivery side of the system. This includes all 13 cables, the solenoid, and the F&R. The F&R has rotary contacts and is most likely to fail
Old 04-14-2016, 01:11 PM   #5
Rudi
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok, I got it and will check the F/R switch. I checked all the cables and they were fine. When I say fine, I mean they were tight on the terminal. The tight grommets on the cables themselves were tight. But, I will check the rotary contacts on the F/R switch.
What would be the best way to check the rotary switch. Can I use a voltmeter and if so, what is the procedure for this.
Old 04-14-2016, 01:45 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudi View Post
Ok, I got it and will check the F/R switch. I checked all the cables and they were fine. When I say fine, I mean they were tight on the terminal. The tight grommets on the cables themselves were tight. But, I will check the rotary contacts on the F/R switch.
What would be the best way to check the rotary switch. Can I use a voltmeter and if so, what is the procedure for this.
You Can make a continuity test but sometimes you can get a false positive when the contact is good enough for the meter 9v battery test but can't hang with the cart's 36v 300 amp draw. Often disassembly and visual inspection is best.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0.1Ezgo F&R instruc EZ575.jpg (120.5 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-14-2016, 03:01 PM   #7
Rudi
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Scott, thank you very much for all the help and advice. Will let you know the results.
Old 04-15-2016, 07:12 AM   #8
Rudi
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Ok Scott, here is what I have discovered.

I connected the meter to the M- and B- and had a voltage of 7.7 volts. When I step on accelerator to activate solenoid, voltage goes to zero.

Checked the continuity on the F/R switch as per drawing you sent and had good continuity. Took switch off and checked switch. No signs of burning, springs in good condition. Switch looked good in all contacts.

Then I disconnected the battery and removed all the wires from the motor. Checked the continuity between F1 & F2 as well as S1 & S2. Had continuity between S1 & S2 but not between F1 & F2.
I put a jumper between A2 and S1 and connected S2 to battery + and A1 to battery -. Motor did not turn.
So, obviously there is an issue with the motor but I am not sure about the controller.

And, how is it possible for both if this is the case, to burn out
Old 04-15-2016, 08:05 PM   #9
timmyjane
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

A short in the motor could cause the control to burn out.

Did you get crazy sparks when doing the motor test?

Id pull the motor and check the brush area.
timmyjane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2016, 08:40 AM   #10
Rudi
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

No sparks when I tested the motor. But took the motor apart a found that the cables in the brushes got hot and came loose in the brushes. But no shorts or signs of it in the motor. The brushes are new and I dont know if it was poor quality on the brushes or if they got over heated and came loose.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO