lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-28-2017, 04:19 PM   #1
aclark
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Where to Start? - 2004 TXT (PDS)

I just bought a 36v 2004 TXT with Lights (PDS) a week or so ago, and I want to start modifying it a bit. I know what I [think] I want to do to it, but don't know the best way to go about it, or the order in which to do it.

I want to
  • Add a rear seat
  • Add a lift kit (and/or shocks or new leaf springs to support the seat)
  • New wheels/tires for lift kit
  • Add brake lights/turn signals
  • Add a rear mirror
  • Add a radio of some sort
Possible Back Seats
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01GUSAQ40...=2603EQW9A22KS

http://www.jasonsgolfcarts.com/EZ_GO...eat-711blk.htm

http://www.golfcarttiresupply.com/ez...t-w-cargo-bed/

Possible Lift Kit
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NP4W0QK...=2603EQW9A22KS

So my first question is what order should I begin installing things? My wife really wants the back seat, but do I need to upgrade my leaf springs to HD springs or shocks?
If I put on a lift kit first, would that come with new springs/shocks (different than listed obviously)?
Seems like 6" is the standard lift, but I don't know if I really need to go that high, I'd just like to make sure I can take curbs and go through the grass easily, what are some quality options?
Are brake lights and turn signals plug and play, since I'm assuming my wiring hasn't been cut up because I have factory lights (PDS)?

I think I know my answers, but I want to check here first. My thoughts are...
Install mirror (easy bolt on) - Suggestions/Preferences, I'm thinking the 5 panel style would work fine.
Install the seat with HD leafs (or shocks?) - again, suggestions or pref welcomed

---Down the Road - No clue on these things, need to do more research---
Install the lift kit - Can I use my stock tires, or are they a must replace
Install turns/brake lights
Install Radio

I hope my ramblings aren't too confusing, and that they are the same newb questions everyone asks. I tried doing some research but haven't really found the definitive answer I was looking for.
aclark is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-28-2017, 05:38 PM   #2
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Where to Start? - 2004 TXT (PDS)

The rear seat doesn't have to have upgraded leafs. However, from the factory if a cart came with the rear seat it came with hd leafs. I would highly recommend doing both at the same time.

Lift kits range from 4-6 inches, and three different styles. You can get a basic spindle lift, basic drop axle lift, or a more complex long travel kit. The long travel kit is the only kit that changes any shocks. It removes the front leaf springs and changes over to coil over suspension.

In my opinion that lift is meant for off road use, trails, rock climbing etc. I prefer the drop spindles as it keeps the front axle up and out of the way.

You can use your stock tires with a lift. Might look a little silly and, could lead to an easier roll over.

I'm not sure on the lights, I believe they are plug and play.
ARKSoft84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2017, 11:34 PM   #3
cv2065
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

I would start from the bottom up like I'm doing. I bought the All Sports 5" Axle Lift. Their products are top notch, and their customer service is incredibly good. I replaced the steering boot, tie rod ends, shocks, regreased the bearings and cleaned everything up with new stainless hardware. 12" Vampire wheels with 23" tires rounded it off and it looks great. My brake lines are a little messed up and one won't reach, so replacing those as well.

Now starting to pull the batteries and will wire wheel the battery cage, paint with POR15, then reinstall with new 4gauge wiring. From there, my body is cracked, so am replacing with a Titan body and will cut the speaker holes in the seat housing, extend the wiring for the new Doubletake dash then install the body then dash right after. Wire up the radio and speakers. I also bought a separate 12v reducer with fuse block and bus bar from carts unlimited so that the lights and radio are wired properly.

From there I'll install a new back seat, as mine didn't come with one. I already have HD rear leafs, so those are done. I will be painting the top, as a new one is crazy expensive.

Easy stuff after that with kick and rocker panels, and new bumper, as mine was roached.

Hope that order kind of helps you arrange your thoughts on how you want to do yours. Good luck!
cv2065 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2017, 07:11 AM   #4
rking1998
Getting Wild

I think that the key made by Aclark was "My wife really wants...". If you want a future of upgrading the cart with as much spousal support as possible, think long and hard about that statement.

Does the cart drive and handle adequately enough that you plan to use it as you upgrade it, or to you believe it is a complete teardown/rebuild?

As long as it's currently drivable, I suggest that you replace the rear leafs with heavy duty leafs and put the back seat on. That way it can be enjoyed right away. Consider if you plan to do anything to the body (paint or wrap) before installing the rear seat. The rear mirror is easy and can be done anytime.

Next, before you lift it and put big tires on it, make sure that the drive system is powerful enough to move it. Are your batteries good? Does it still have a standard controller/solenoid? Those are two expensive items to consider.
rking1998 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2017, 08:48 AM   #5
aclark
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

The cart is in great shape and runs fine. It was painted black and has custom seat covers that match. The batteries (i was told) were new last year, and have upgraded cables. It is also chipped and runs at a steady 18 MPH. Hills are a bit tough, but I can get up them, just takes a bit longer The steering wheel is a bit off center, but I don't get any shake or pull when I drive. Not sure about the controller/solenoid, but I would assume stock.

Guess I'll just grab the seat and HD leafs and call it a day, for now, until I do some more research. The seat will really make it more enjoyable, and allow us to take the kids on rides easier.
Old 07-30-2017, 09:26 AM   #6
aclark
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

OK well I just found this mid rise lift kit from EZ-Go and it seems to be what I'm looking for from a lift kit. I don't really want 5-6" lift since I'm not off-roading, but I want a bit of clearance and a nice look. I'm just trying to figure out if I need just 1 kit, for the rear, or if I need one for the front and rear? Sorry for the dumb question(s), but I'm just trying to learn.

I know my wife really wants the rear seat, but if I have to buy the lift kit first (comes with HD springs) to save money, and set the foundation for the seat, I know she'll be ok with it. Trying to not do it all at once, if possible, to spread out the spend.
Old 07-30-2017, 12:57 PM   #7
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I assume you are talking about this kit?

http://m.shop.ezgo.com/products/2-in...t-for-txt.html

I read the installation instructions, it appears that it comes with two front, and two rear leaf springs. However, the website only says 2 leaf springs. I suppose that means two leaf spring sets. May have to call them and find out for sure.
Old 08-01-2017, 03:42 PM   #8
aclark
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I called and the lady didn't really know the answer, and then said "yes it has 2 sets of springs". I don't know what to expect, but I ordered it, and had a 20% off coupon, so it was around $160. I also ordered the aluminum seat from Golf Cart Tire Supply as well as a mirror from Amazon. Everything should be here Thurs/Fri and I'm hoping to get it installed on Sunday. I will eventually buy some larger tires, but for now stock will have to do. Wish me luck, I'm handy, but not a mechanic.
Old 08-01-2017, 10:26 PM   #9
ARKSoft84
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Sounds great but remember

Old 08-02-2017, 08:51 PM   #10
aclark
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I'll be sure to take some before and after, but here's a pic from the guy I bought it from.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO