lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-22-2018, 06:46 AM   #11
jeff vaccaro
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Keep blowing the precharged resistor

When I removed the resistor I get 6 red blinks on the controller as soon as the key is turned on. With the resistor install, I get a green solid light then 6 red blinks when the pedal is pressed. I have 38v through the micro switch in the peda.
jeff vaccaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #12
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The SR controller senses the caps are not getting a pre-charge. You may be able to work around this feature by disconnecting one end as instructed then holding on top of the post it was disconnected to until you can press the gas and then release the pre-charge contact.

The only reason I see for a pre-charge resistor getting burnt up is the solenoid not closing or not staying closed while the cart is trying to run. So this may be an activation problem or a bridge contact problem. HD high quality contactors can be opened and bridge contacts can be inspected.

How many cables are on the solenoid?
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:08 AM   #13
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You mentioned earlier the battery end post on the solenoid gets hot. I don't understand why one end would get hotter than the other. If the connections are good and the solenoid is energizing and making contact there is no explanation why the resistor should be getting hot during operation because the solenoid contacts should bypass the resistor when energized just like the jumper wire you used across the terminals. You might need to take it to a shop.
radioman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:59 AM   #14
Sideways
Gone Wild

I recently had an issue with my cart not moving and was getting the same 6 red flashing lights (pre-charge failure) on the Alltrax controller.
While I did not have the heating up issue it turned out the MZJ400 solenoid went bad even though it clicked after pressing the pedal.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:40 AM   #15
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Idea! Check for voltage across the big solenoid posts when solenoid is supposed to be energized and the resistor is getting hot. There should be very little or no voltage across solenoid closed contacts. If the resistor is getting hot there has to be voltage which would indicate defective solenoid contacts or a poor connection or the solenoid might be dropping in and out as others have suggested during operation due to something else out of kilter.
Old 06-22-2018, 11:40 AM   #16
jeff vaccaro
Not Yet Wild

Here are the results. Even though the solenoided tested out just fine i ended up replacing it. That seemed to do the trick. However I was told by the shop where I bought the solenoid to remove the resistor. So I hooked everything up except the resistor. I get the 6 red flashes but when I hit the pendant everyhing turns green and works. Drove around up and down hills and nothing is getting hot. Do I need the resistor? Or no? He told me that the Alltrax controllers say to remove the resistor but I couldn’t find the instructions so I’m not sure. It works with the resistor installed also.

But new solenoid seemed to have done the trick.

Thanks for the help everyone
jeff vaccaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 12:31 PM   #17
radioman
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

If the solenoid fixes problem I would reinstall the resistor but it should not get hot. If it gets hot something is wrong. The resistor furnishes a trickle of power to the controller and helps prevent peak current when the solenoid first closes. It keeps the controller ready to go. You most likely fixed your problem replacing the solenoid.
Old 06-22-2018, 06:55 PM   #18
Sideways
Gone Wild

I put the resistor back on my new solenoid. I believe the SR controller requires it.
I believe there is an Alltrax controller that does not require the resistor but cannot remember which one it is.
Glad your back up and running.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 08:38 PM   #19
mgray70
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

The XCT doesn't use a resistor.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sideways View Post
I put the resistor back on my new solenoid. I believe the SR controller requires it.
I believe there is an Alltrax controller that does not require the resistor but cannot remember which one it is.
Glad your back up and running.
Sent from my SM-G930R4 using Tapatalk
mgray70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2018, 09:13 PM   #20
Mooncarter
Gone Insane

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeff vaccaro View Post
Here are the results. Even though the solenoided tested out just fine i ended up replacing it. That seemed to do the trick. However I was told by the shop where I bought the solenoid to remove the resistor. So I hooked everything up except the resistor. I get the 6 red flashes but when I hit the pendant everyhing turns green and works. Drove around up and down hills and nothing is getting hot. Do I need the resistor? Or no? He told me that the Alltrax controllers say to remove the resistor but I couldn’t find the instructions so I’m not sure. It works with the resistor installed also.

But new solenoid seemed to have done the trick.

Thanks for the help everyone
Good for you. Glad the shop could help.

Seems to me some people in here suggested removing the resistor and replacing the solenoid.
Mooncarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO