lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-04-2018, 09:32 AM   #1
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default "Powerwise Battery Charger..."

That title should be "Powerwise Battery Charger..."

Now just to remind you, I don't know a lot, so please answer in pretty easy terms.
My Powerwise battery (about 10 years old?) intermittently won't charge, or rapidly goes on/off/on/off. The power registered very low yesterday on the cart meter. I topped off the batteries, but none were very low. I know I need to take the cover off the battery and maybe clean it up a bit, as I think I saw a wasp nest earlier in it. Could that cause a short/interference?

Okay......so I left it charging last night, but when I went out this morning, the charge on the cart meter was still pretty low. I plugged it in again and on the battery charger meter,it went to about 18, (which is normal) and the cart meter responded. I went back about 20 minutes later and it was still charging, but the cart meter was at the extreme "full" spot, but the battery charger meter was only showing at about 5. Any insights as to what's going on?

I really depend on this cart since my legs are bad and we have a large property. So I need to either fix this fast, or get a new one. The people who service my cart are about 80 miles away and probably couldn't come for awhile.

Thanks for any suggestions you might have for me.
Silverstreak is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-04-2018, 10:07 AM   #2
jkredman
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default More Powerwise battery questions ASAP please.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silverstreak View Post
That title should be "Powerwise Battery Charger..."

...the cart meter was at the extreme "full" spot, but the battery charger meter was only showing at about 5.

With full batteries, the charger showing a low charge rate would be normal. It would be in a ‘maintaining the charge mode’

How old are your batteries? If they’re pushing 5 years old they could be wearing out.

Really the next thing I would check are your battery terminals. Are they corroded? Are the nuts tight?

Be sure to wrap the wrench handle in tape to prevent an accidental short circuit should the wrench slip and hit the cart frame or another battery terminal.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
jkredman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:30 AM   #3
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

Default Re: More Powerwise battery questions ASAP please.

Quote:
but the cart meter was at the extreme "full" spot,
what kind of a meter are we talking about ? It sounds like a round needle style gauge which are pretty much useless. If this is the case you need to get a digital meter . If you have a multi-meter you can do a voltage check on the batteries .

Is now open
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gener...19-season.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Johnnie_BChart.jpg (31.4 KB, 0 views)
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 10:55 AM   #4
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks jkredman and Swan. I'm posting a picture of my batteries, and I have to say they have never looked this bad before.....so maybe they do just need their terminals cleaned. Very strange that they got bad so quickly. Yes, I have just one of those round meters on the cart.

I have tested each battery in the past, but I forget how to do it, so I'll look that up. Yes, I have a tester. But I'm thinking I need to clean those terminals, right? Why is there brown stuff on the battery covers next to each terminal? I've never seen that before either.

We live out in the country and it can get pretty messy out here.

I checked the cart again after 2 more hours of charging and the cart meter and the charger meter seemed to be where they should be after charging a bit. But I got in it and drove several feet and the cart meter dropped way low again. I'm thinking the terminals need cleaning. By looking at the picture can you tell? Is it possible that if it is the dirty terminals, would that somehow affect the running of the battery charger (going off and on in rapid succession at times...........of course, I would unplug it immediately).
I appreciate your help.
Old 08-04-2018, 11:07 AM   #5
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

oops.......forgot the pic! Everything is malfunctioning today.......my cart, my computer, and me!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_9888.jpg (178.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 08-04-2018, 11:21 AM   #6
PuttPutt
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Your batteries are four+ years old. Place to start is with a digital multi-meter to see what the pack voltage is after resting for several hours after removing from the charger. Also clean and tight to be sure all connections are good. One of the experts will have to comment on the charger going on off.
PuttPutt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:05 PM   #7
Silverstreak
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks PuttPutt. It's weird how all the terminals look. It doesn't seem like how the corrosion on other people's terminals look. It's almost like something sticky.

I'll check the voltage in a little bit.
Old 08-04-2018, 12:15 PM   #8
Swan
Cave Dweller

Club Car

yes they could use a cleaning and a little battery terminal protection spray

Multi meter how to pdf

Is now open
http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gener...19-season.html
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Everything Electrical.pdf (4.32 MB, 0 views)
Swan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:33 PM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

It appears that you've got more than one problem and those problems involve the charger, the batteries and the wiring.

1. The charger putting out about 18 Amps when first connected and only about 5 Amps after battery pack voltage has climbed above about 42V is normal, but turning on and off several times isn't. Try cleaning the outside of the brass terminals in the charge receptacle and the Auxiliary contact in the charger plug. (Attachment-1)

Attachment-2 shows the Auxiliary contact touches the outside of the negative brass terminal when charger plug is plugged into charge receptacle. This is where the charger senses the battery voltage, which is used to turn on and off the charger.

Hopefully that will solve the turning on and off problem. If not, replace the charger with a 36V Yewy: http://www.cartsunlimited.net/yewy-1...t-charger.html

2. I see what appears to be "D4" stamped into one of the negative terminals, which means April-2014. Trojan post dates their batteries up to six weeks or more, so your batteries are at least 5 1/2 years old and nearing the end of their usable lifespan or have already reached it. It's very likely time
for a new set of batteries.

I also see what appears to be the two 6V batteries on the driver side be used to power 12V accessories. This kills those two batteries faster then the others and due to the imbalance, the others don't live as long either. Use a 36V to 12V voltage reducer, or power the 12V accessories with a separate 12V battery,

3. Wiring and cables (and battery tops) need to be cleaned. Use a table spoon of baking soda in a quart of water to neutralize the acid that gets on the cable connections and battery tops. Rinse with tap water, being careful not to get controller, F/r switch or pedal box wet.

Clean ring connectors and battery posts with Scotch-Brite pad and reconnect. Tighten bolts snugly, but don't over tighten. Coat cable and battery terminals with Vaseline, or use a spray on battery terminal protectorate from an auto store.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg Clean Aux contact.JPG (26.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2460.jpg (157.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2018, 12:48 PM   #10
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Swan, thanks for posting the pdf. Now maybe I will actually start to understand how and when to test what!?!?
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO