lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-15-2018, 02:37 PM   #11
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 36v EZGO TXT Series low torque but gets up to speed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stingray240CS View Post
I only replaced the battery wires. I didn't think i needed to replace the other high current wires since I was using stock controller.
All 13 of the high current cables are in series and the same amps go through all of them, so they all have to be upgraded, or the amp throughput will be limited to whatever the thinnest or worst cable will pass.

Attached is a schematic with the high current circuit of a series drive cart highlighted.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Wiring Diagram - Series- No A2 -Hi-Current traced.JPG (57.9 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-15-2018, 02:38 PM   #12
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

That PMC controller is not going to be able to drive tires of that size, for long. Expect it to fail any minute you are running it. They were known to fail with stock sized tires, and you are putting a lot more load on it. The PMC was a flawed controller from the very beginning. You'll be much happier with an Alltrax, and with those sized tires you'll need 400 amps or so. 2 guage cables and a 400 Amp solenoid.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:40 PM   #13
Stingray240CS
Getting Wild

Thanks buddy. I'll try and do some more troubelshooting tonight.

I've been looking at the 400 and 500 kit that scotty has. This cart has been a fun project for me, but it's going to be for sale soon so I don't want to dump a ton of money into it. At the same time, I want it to do it's job right and that will probably just be a neighborhood vehicle.

The picture above is a couple of months old. I actually have the newer TXT body painted blue on it now. I haven't put it back together yet since I'm deciding if I need to powder coat or spray the metal pieces like the roof frame and seat frame. Actually the body is just sitting on it now. I need to find my rivet kit in my mess of a garage.

I'll definitely get those wires cleaned up, haha. I also can't decide if I want to install a stereo or just stick with the bluetooth soundbar and sub-woofer. I took a marine stereo out of my boat the other day and was thinking of putting it in this cart, but I'll probably just stick with the existing setup.
Stingray240CS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 02:42 PM   #14
Stingray240CS
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
All 13 of the high current cables are in series and the same amps go through all of them, so they all have to be upgraded, or the amp throughput will be limited to whatever the thinnest or worst cable will pass. .
I'll pick up some cable this weekend and get this taken care of. Thanks for the schematic!
Old 08-15-2018, 02:46 PM   #15
Stingray240CS
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
That PMC controller is not going to be able to drive tires of that size, for long. Expect it to fail any minute you are running it. They were known to fail with stock sized tires, and you are putting a lot more load on it. The PMC was a flawed controller from the very beginning. You'll be much happier with an Alltrax, and with those sized tires you'll need 400 amps or so. 2 guage cables and a 400 Amp solenoid.
I've been looking at a new controller solenoid combo, but was hoping to ensure I wasn't just throwing parts at it first.
Old 08-15-2018, 03:35 PM   #16
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

You got two of the absolute best on your thread now. Stick with Bob and Johnnieb.

My last two cents: if you’re going to sell it, you’ve maybe got some tougher decisions. It wouldn’t be good to sell it to anyone with that current setup. Maybe you can reuse the lift and those big tires, or sell them. Put it back on the ground with a nice set of 12s/ low pros. It’ll still be slow with a questionable controller, but would have a better chance of lasting.
orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2018, 04:10 PM   #17
Stingray240CS
Getting Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangeman6 View Post
You got two of the absolute best on your thread now. Stick with Bob and Johnnieb.

My last two cents: if you’re going to sell it, you’ve maybe got some tougher decisions. It wouldn’t be good to sell it to anyone with that current setup. Maybe you can reuse the lift and those big tires, or sell them. Put it back on the ground with a nice set of 12s/ low pros. It’ll still be slow with a questionable controller, but would have a better chance of lasting.

I really appreciate the feedback. I bought it because I like working on and fixing things as a hobby. I bought it super cheap, but I do have a fair amount in it at this point. I don't mind spending the extra money to make it right at this point. Even if it means I won't make a lot of money. For me it's more for fun and I think at the very least I'll break even.
Old 08-15-2018, 04:34 PM   #18
orangeman6
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

orangeman6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2018, 02:54 PM   #19
not-so-ezgo
Not Yet Wild

My experience would have me tell you to finish doing the cables. I had bad spots in each cable and each time I replaced one I found another issue. I would definitely do this BEFORE a controller, or you can do what I did... replace battery cables, then FR, then solenoid, then controller and solenoid again, and then finish cables. The new controller will want the new cables anyway.

BTW - My cart is a 36v Medalist(txt) with stock tires(for now) and pretty much everything else new. because I learned the hard way.

FWIW - I am also a newbie... but your description looks similar to how my issues started.
not-so-ezgo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2018, 09:36 AM   #20
Stingray240CS
Getting Wild

Work and birthday parties have set me back on time this week. I'll definitely get some testing/work done and parts ordered this weekend. I'll definitely update this thread with progress.

Can I go with the 400amp upgrade, or should I go with the 500amp? Do I have to have the F&R upgrade? If so, what does it do?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO