lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-01-2018, 08:41 AM   #1
coosa
Gone Wild

Default Where does this Harness go?

So I'm installing an Admiral B2 motor into a 2008 PDS cart with an Alltrax DCX 500 controller already installed. I am just substituting the new motor for the stock motor. Scotty sent me the right field map and I have everything installed except the harness that contains the 3 wires that come out of the end of the motor.

This harness was unused with the factory motor, but Scotty says it's used with this one. Only problem is I see no where on this controller to plug it in. Here is the hookup on the controller, with the unused harness in the right of the picture:

It's easy to see where it went on the factory controller. Here is the factory controller with the harness plugged in:

private image hosting

So it looks like I either need a different harness or I need to splice in somewhere. It's Saturday and everyone is closed, so you guys are my only hope to get it going today. This isn't something I wanna use trial and error on. I would just wait until Monday to finish it, but my 3 year old grandson is visiting and I promised him we would go fast. I chose today to switch the motors so that my son in law could wrestle the motors in and out for me. He did his job with ease, but grandpa didn't plan ahead well enough.

Will it run at all without the harness being used? Safety?

I am thinking I need a different harness. Splicing wires in a place like that is likely a way to insure a breakdown at the worst time. Thanks for any help!
coosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-01-2018, 09:59 AM   #2
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Where does this Harness go?

The DCX does not use the motor's speed sensor. Just leave it unplugged, but keep it safe, you'll need it if/when you decide to upgrade to an XCT controller.

DCX controllers were Plug-N-Play replacements for the DCS controllers, which was EZGO's first attempt with a sepex drive system and didn't have a speed sensor on the motor. The DCS drive was replaced by the PDS drive in 2000 and Alltrax designed an adapter so the existing DCX family of controllers could be used in a PDS. All the PDS's speed sensor was used for was speed limiting and the DCX didn't (couldn't) limit speed (Motor RPM), which caused some problems for PDS cart owners running stock height and smaller tires with 42V and 48V battery packs.

In 2015, Alltrax finally introduced a sepex controller that uses the speed sensor, the XCT family. In addition to user adjustable speed limiting, the motor RPM is also used in the field mapping process and regen braking.

Tuck the speed sensor in a safe place and have fun with the grandkid.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:18 AM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

A picture is worth 1000 emails. Johnnie is right. The old DCX did not have the rpm control ability that the old stock or the new XCT does.
Just be careful not to exceed a safe motor rpm going down hills.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 10:27 AM   #4
coosa
Gone Wild

Thanks guys. So I just tape up the wires sticking out of the motor and I'm good to go? Maybe my grandson will get to go fast today after all. :)

A good day to all!
Old 09-01-2018, 10:55 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not 100% sure if the B2 has a three wire pigtail with a plug on the end or not, but if it does and it isn't very long, you can just let it dangle. If it is long enough to reach the side of the motor case, tape or Ty-wrap it there.

If there is just three wires, tape them so bare wires cannot touch each other or anything else.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2018, 12:42 PM   #6
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Remember not to exceed 6000 rpms. Give your tire size and we will calculate a speed limit you should not exceed. The lack of rpm control or limit is a problem with the old DCX controller.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:54 PM   #7
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Remember not to exceed 6000 rpms. Give your tire size and we will calculate a speed limit you should not exceed. The lack of rpm control or limit is a problem with the old DCX controller.
Scotty, it has 22" tires. You guys had figured that the stock motor shouldn't go over 33 mph, or at least I think that was the number. Kind of a moot point anyway because it topped out at 26 on flat pavement. I bumped it to 30 going down a hill once and quickly saw that was too fast for this cart with the steering, brakes, and suspension on it. Can the new motor turn a little faster without worry of damage to it?

I hooked it back up and my grandson rode with me on the 6 mile break-in without issue. And the good news is that the motor temp never got over 133 degrees. I didn't try to see how fast it will go on sustained speed, but it didn't appear that it was gonna be a lot different than the stock motor. The stock motor met all my needs for both speed and torque, but the way it was overheating made me believe it was likely to leave me stranded. Hopefully, this one won't overheat on me.

Thanks to all for the help.
Old 09-01-2018, 12:57 PM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

31.6 = 6000 motor rpms with 22 inch tall tires.
But that's faster than I suggest to go in a lifted golf cart.
Old 09-01-2018, 03:12 PM   #9
coosa
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
31.6 = 6000 motor rpms with 22 inch tall tires.
But that's faster than I suggest to go in a lifted golf cart.
Thanks. I seldom go over 15 as most of what I do is off road. I occasionally run it a mile down a county road and will go 25 then, but that is plenty fast.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO