lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-29-2018, 07:16 PM   #1
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default 2016 RXV power drops out at after about 15 feet

I got a 2016 RXV, batteries are 1 year old, in great condition. Sometimes when taking off from a stop, after about 10 feet, it feels like a car does when it runs out of gas. It will seem like all power just drops for a second, then will pick up again and drive fine for awhile.
Doesnt happen all the time.

So i cleared all faults, then after it did it again, i went home and plugged in the curtis scanner. There were 4 things that it showed , in this order :

HPD/Sequencing Fault
Undervoltage Cutback
Controller Overcurrent
Comms Supervision

Any thoughts, as to what is the matter with this cart?

It seems to me in the past whenever i see the first 3 codes mentioned, on other carts, i never could make sense of what the problem was.

I checked the manual that lists these codes, and still cant seem to decipher it.

Any help will be appreciated, Please???

Thank you
, i never found anything wrong
smokey tennis shoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-29-2018, 07:37 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2016 RXV power drops out at after about 15 feet

Quote:
Originally Posted by smokey tennis shoe View Post
I got a 2016 RXV, batteries are 1 year old, in great condition. Sometimes when taking off from a stop, after about 10 feet, it feels like a car does when it runs out of gas. It will seem like all power just drops for a second, then will pick up again and drive fine for awhile.
Doesnt happen all the time.

So i cleared all faults, then after it did it again, i went home and plugged in the curtis scanner. There were 4 things that it showed , in this order :

HPD/Sequencing Fault
Undervoltage Cutback
Controller Overcurrent
Comms Supervision

Any thoughts, as to what is the matter with this cart?

It seems to me in the past whenever i see the first 3 codes mentioned, on other carts, i never could make sense of what the problem was.

I checked the manual that lists these codes, and still cant seem to decipher it.

Any help will be appreciated, Please???

Thank you
, i never found anything wrong
It's the undervolt warning setting that sets a code, and the undervoltage cutoff setting. The default settings are too high for the guage of the cables in the RXV, especially if the performance levels are turned up. When I reprogram RXVs for performance, now I make those adjustments and recommend 2 guage battery cables be used. The sudden dropout by the undervoltage cutout can corrupt the motor current calibrations between phases, causing controller overcurrent errors. It writes the error count value into the motor current calibration value locations. I wrote about this not long ago. It can be blamed on a routine in the controller OS that is initiated by the use of a Passkey to set Freedom mode on. The fix is to disable Freedom mode with a Development level programmer, correct the settings and calibration values, and re-enable Freedom mode with that Development level programmer.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2018, 07:47 PM   #3
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

Bob, so if i increase the cable to size to the batteries will it fix this?

If right now, the cart has 6 gauge wires, and i increase them to 4 gauge, do you think that would fix this particular sitch?

And if so, do i need to change any other cable size beside the battery cables? I hope not to the motor?
Old 12-29-2018, 08:00 PM   #4
smokey tennis shoe
Gone Wild
Club Car

So if i have access to a dealer level 4401, that wont do it?

And if changing to bigger cables is not the answer, then I should send it to Mr Boyce for recalibrating?
Old 12-29-2018, 08:42 PM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

A 4401 is OEM level, but it is still not high enough. It takes a 66XX to access those menus.

2 guage wires are better than 4 guage, and yes... battery cables. If you send the controller, I can correct the cause of the errors. I don't have a current calibration bench like FSIP has, but I can get it back in the ballpark without one. You'll notice quite an improvement in performance once the motor current on the 3 phases is back in balance.

Bob
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO