lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-07-2019, 08:18 PM   #11
WVHarley
Gone Wild

Harley Davidson

Default Re: LED headlights too bright

Why dont you just put the old bulbs back in and call it a learning experiment that cost you a few buck? I am sure most of us here have tried something that sounded like a good idea and turned out not to be what we expected or wanted.
WVHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-07-2019, 08:44 PM   #12
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

There are no old bulbs. This is a new kit that came with LED's. I've been thinking about just buying non LED lights, but I'm not ready to give up yet.
jkenprice1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 08:46 PM   #13
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

If it used to have incandescent lights, which for cars at least, have two sets of filaments, I'd think it wouldn't be too hard to turn the lights on dim and then bright, and see where you have power for both scenarios.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 10:23 PM   #14
DrLove38
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Just made my mind up on my light bar.
I will be going with the halogen for my cart for riding around country roads.
I may get some led spots to turn on as needed.
My cart has no lights now.
DrLove38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2019, 11:03 PM   #15
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
If it used to have incandescent lights, which for cars at least, have two sets of filaments, I'd think it wouldn't be too hard to turn the lights on dim and then bright, and see where you have power for both scenarios.

I haven't had time to check out the lever on the steering column to see if the dim function actually works. If it does, my hope is to wire the LED dimmer into the dim position on the lever. If that won't work, I'll probably just wire the dimmer into the feed line to the lights. I could mount it so the brightness could be adjusted, or I could just set it at an appropriate level and hide the controller in the dash.

I won't know which way I'll be going until I get a chance to check out the lever.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:10 PM   #16
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
I'm doing this on my aunt's cart. She has a 1998 Series TXT. I kinda like that cart. I was just on Scottyb's website pricing the ADM 7126 upgrade package. I'm kinda dreaming about installing that, converting to 48v and installing some 20"wheels and tires.
Old 02-07-2019, 11:44 PM   #17
JRL
Gone Wild

You could use your hi/lo switch to control a 5 pin cube Bosch style relay and have high and lo beam.
Attach the headlight wire to output (either n/c or n/o terminal). The other output term would be wired to the led dimmer and with dimmer output jumped to the high relay (headlight wire). The relay would supply two signals to the headlight. The relay would isolate the unused terminal. Whichever terminal, n/c or n/o won't matter as the switch will toggle between them. The taillight signal will give the switched 12v to turn on a separate headlight 4 pin relay will be necessary to interrupt the 12v (B+) source to the 5 pin relay, or the hi or lo will stay on. Sounds complicated, but it aint. Only two control signals, "Lights on" and the toggle from your stalk are required for the system to work. The n/c n/o will prevent backfeed. The only thing that could present as a problem would if backfeeding the LED dimmer box damages it. My guess is that it would not....YMMV.
JRL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 05:52 AM   #18
jkenprice1
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRL View Post
You could use your hi/lo switch to control a 5 pin cube Bosch style relay and have high and lo beam.
Attach the headlight wire to output (either n/c or n/o terminal). The other output term would be wired to the led dimmer and with dimmer output jumped to the high relay (headlight wire). The relay would supply two signals to the headlight. The relay would isolate the unused terminal. Whichever terminal, n/c or n/o won't matter as the switch will toggle between them. The taillight signal will give the switched 12v to turn on a separate headlight 4 pin relay will be necessary to interrupt the 12v (B+) source to the 5 pin relay, or the hi or lo will stay on. Sounds complicated, but it aint. Only two control signals, "Lights on" and the toggle from your stalk are required for the system to work. The n/c n/o will prevent backfeed. The only thing that could present as a problem would if backfeeding the LED dimmer box damages it. My guess is that it would not....YMMV.

That makes sense. I hadn't thought about feedback. Honestly, I can't envision all the details in mh head. Anyway you could make a simple schematic for me?
Old 02-08-2019, 07:23 AM   #19
bronsonj
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I had a DPDT on, off, on toggle switch, and had halogen lights which I had wired in series for dim and parallel for bright.
That is a brilliant idea! I love the simplicity. I was thinking of wiring in a resistor for my "low beam" but I don't like the added inefficiency. So I think I will try your series/parallel method.
bronsonj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2019, 09:41 AM   #20
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Keep in mind that most of those PWM dimmers are "low side" drivers (like the controller in your cart) so You need access to the negative headlight wire to switch from dimmer to bright.

I am guessing the positive is a pass through on those cheap devices, but if not, you will need a DPDT relay to switch both positive and negative.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO