lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-12-2019, 02:40 PM   #1
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Alltrax XCT humming

I installed an Alltrax XCT controller in a 2013 Cushman hauler 1000 a few months ago. I used the 1268 adapter and a G19 XCT-48400. It worked fine for a couple months and then started making a humming noise, even if the key was off. The controller would also get very warm. Within a week of this starting, the controller failed and I sent it to Alltrax for a replacement.

After about a month of having the second controller, it started making the humming noise again! It makes it all the time unless the cart is in tow. It also gets warm to the touch. It almost sounds like water bubbling really quietly. As of now, it is still working fine, but I’m sure it wont last long. What can I do to prevent this? Anybody familiar with this weird problem?

Thank you
Luke

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
LukeL is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-12-2019, 03:13 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Alltrax XCT humming

Not at all familiar with cart/symptoms, but there may be an intermittent problem. Follow each cable from end to end, and see if any of them may be connecting to the cart frame due to insulation having been rubbing until failure. I had that happen and it killed my AXE, which I'm replacing as we speak.

I doubt if a low current wire could cause this, so I'd just focus on high amperage cables.

EDIT: I forgot you have an adapter. I don't know what that looks like. Does it appear to have components, or is it simply one plug in and a different one out, to allow new controller to hook up to existing wiring?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:14 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Luke - Call Alltrax now!
I would even go so far as to say disconnect power and call.
Keep us posted.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:27 PM   #4
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

I would be looking for something related to the walk-away brake as it makes an audible "hum" when is activated and powering the motor field coils.
Sergio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2019, 03:47 PM   #5
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Will call them now

Old 02-12-2019, 04:14 PM   #6
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Just got off from a 30 minute phone call. There is a 5 V drop across the motor and they think that it is just about at the point where it is triggering the rollaway brake, even though it is not going all out and closing the solenoid yet. The cables going to the motor are good, and the brushes are very clean. The diodes in the controller tested good for the test I was instructed to do while on the phone with them.

Old 02-12-2019, 04:39 PM   #7
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

That is what I was thinking, did they not asked you to disconnect the speed sensor to make sure it is not related?
Old 02-12-2019, 07:07 PM   #8
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

I did. Same problem. What could cause a motor problem? It’s really clean inside.

Old 02-12-2019, 08:00 PM   #9
Sergio
Gone Wild

Club Car

Was the voltage on the Armature or Field winding?

I am trying to understand their comment about the voltage drop on the motor almost being to the point to trigger the roll-away brake.

I thought the XCT only used the speed sensor to detect motion, unlike the old DCX that actually kept the motor somewhat powered to detect voltage build up as the motor acted as a generator.

You may want to disconnect the cables from the Motor and do a resistance test to make sure there are no shorts or cross connections.
Old 02-12-2019, 08:58 PM   #10
LukeL
Gone Wild

Club Car

Pack voltage is 51.0. Voltage to the M- is 46.5. Same to the A1 and A2 motor studs.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO