lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-16-2019, 09:00 AM   #1
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Default Ezgo limited slip vs Plowmans posi

Just trying to get some opinions from guys that have used either one or looked into either one.
EZGO part number is 614756 and it's the whole differential and has clutches and plates which put pressure on the side gears, just like a limited slip differential for a car.
https://shop.txtsv.com/limited-slip-differential-kit
The Plowmans posi is basically the same concept, but it puts pressure on the side gears by installing their posi unit which has springs and metal plates with a friction ring. The Plowmans posi goes into your existing differential and must be installed by Plowmans, so you need to send them your differential.
http://www.plowmanscarts.com/carts.c...1517241695&v=2
$417.40 vs $299.
70oldsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-16-2019, 09:21 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Ezgo limited slip vs Plowmans posi

If you have ever shipped a differential you know it can cost $50-80 each way.
Actually makes the OEM part cost the same or less. I did the research and bought the Ezgo limited slip unit. Not installed yet... too busy upgrading other peoples carts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 10:27 AM   #3
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
If you have ever shipped a differential you know it can cost $50-80 each way.
Actually makes the OEM part cost the same or less. I did the research and bought the Ezgo limited slip unit. Not installed yet... too busy upgrading other peoples carts.
I was thinking the exact same thing. The fact that I can install the ezgo limited slip myself, without sending it out and incurring additional shipping costs, makes it much more desirable, well to me at least. I am by no means putting down the Plowmans unit, I'm sure it works great. The EZGO limited slip differential is just like an automotive unit and as we all know, the concept works perfectly. I was able to get my hands on a used limited slip carrier. Since the spool seems to be more of a problem then it's worth, looks like I'm going with this. Scotty, when you do install yours, what differential fluid are you going to use? I've read that EZGO recommends Mobilube HD 85W140 gear oil and 2 ounces of friction modifier.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg limited slip differential.jpg (42.1 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-16-2019, 11:03 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Mobilube HD 85W140 sounds good, which friction reducer are you thinking?

FYI - My dealer said 2 freeze plugs needed for the installation.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:19 AM   #5
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Mobilube HD 85W140 sounds good, which friction reducer are you thinking?

FYI - My dealer said 2 freeze plugs needed for the installation.
https://www.summitracing.com/parts/red-80301/overview/
This is what I'll probably use. Why the two freeze out plugs? Take a look at the installation instructions from EZGO. Look how many ounces of fluid it recommends.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf EZGO Limited Slip (1).pdf (240.4 KB, 0 views)
Old 02-16-2019, 11:24 AM   #6
NCPW
Just Gone

Club Car

I may be wrong, but doesn't the Plowman's unit keep the limited slip engaged in reverse and the EZ-GO unit doesn't?

I thought I read that as the main difference between the two at one point and time.
NCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 11:29 AM   #7
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by NCPW View Post
I may be wrong, but doesn't the Plowman's unit keep the limited slip engaged in reverse and the EZ-GO unit doesn't?

I thought I read that as the main difference between the two at one point and time.
Guys were referring to the ezgo unit that's just like the plowmans when they said it wasn't working in reverse, not the whole limited slip carrier. In reality, there is no reason why that unit shouldn't work in reverse unless it was worn out.

https://diygolfcart.com/ezgo-txt-tra...RoCB6AQAvD_BwE
Old 02-16-2019, 12:13 PM   #8
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Just a question. Would Plowman be willing to ship you the parts of his, if you promise not to call it a "Plowman", since he may be worried about a shoddy installation ruining his reputation?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2019, 12:18 PM   #9
70oldsracer
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Just a question. Would Plowman be willing to ship you the parts of his, if you promise not to call it a "Plowman", since he may be worried about a shoddy installation ruining his reputation?
I have no idea, but from what I've read on here, he will not sell you one of his units unless he installs it, just for that reason. Someone would have to call them and ask.
Old 02-16-2019, 01:37 PM   #10
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

May be worth a call, given the cost of round-trip shipping. If he knows your background, he might take a gamble. Never hurts to ask.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO