lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-18-2019, 03:11 PM   #1
slashpine
Getting Wild

Default Charger not clciking on...

Have an older 36V TXT DCS cart (all stock)...just yesterday the charger quit clicking on when plugged in...recently it had been a little fussy with a slight delay before clicking on...now nothing...
...I examined both the charge port and plug and all looked fine...have 37.7 volts at the receptacle on the cart...

What to check first inside the charger?
slashpine is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-18-2019, 07:00 PM   #2
slashpine
Getting Wild

Default Re: Charger not clciking on...

This is getting weird...after examining the plug and receptacle I had inadvertently left the plug in and left the cart to work on another chore...

...Returning to the cart I noticed the voltage up on the dash led but still complete silence from the charger and the ammeter at 0...but I re-plugged it in and I heard the typical click and the ammeter shot up with the typical buzz...

I have to think it is the charger...does this sound familiar to anyone?...as much as I would like to have a charger with the float circuit I don't want to get rid of the Power Wise if it will still work for me at reasonable expense to repair??
Old 03-18-2019, 07:16 PM   #3
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The receptacle contacts wear out and contact becomes intermittent at times.
If you plug in the charger then lift up and hold upward pressure on the charge plug end and ... the charger does come on after a sensing period... then replace the receptacle contacts, aka rad soks.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:22 PM   #4
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

It sounds like you have either a bit of a loose connection at the charging port or the board inside the charger could be causing issues.

There is a sticky in the electric ezgo section that deals with the powerwise chargers. You can test the charger by jumping out the relay inside.

Sometimes I experience the same; I have been able to drape the charging cable over the seat, giving the connection a little lift, and it will charge fine. One easy thing to do is clean up the terminals inside the plug with a little bit of emery cloth. There's a small flat connection inside the male end of the plug that senses voltage and tells the charger to go.
Brob1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #5
slashpine
Getting Wild

Thanks for the replies...I tried moving the plug and making sure the rad soks were not the issue...

is there any way the charger could be putting voltage into the cart without making any noise at all or showing nothing on the ammeter...?
Old 03-18-2019, 08:03 PM   #6
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slashpine View Post
Thanks for the replies...I tried moving the plug and making sure the rad soks were not the issue...

is there any way the charger could be putting voltage into the cart without making any noise at all or showing nothing on the ammeter...?

No, the coil inside the charger must be energized; thats the hum you hear.
Old 03-19-2019, 10:31 AM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Besides the radsoks, there is a secondary external connector on some charger plugs. If it's dirty, or the radsok in your cart is dirty, it can fail to make contact. If that's the problem and cleaning it doesn't help, or it's more intermittent than you are happy with, you can eliminate this connector all together.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:38 AM   #8
Brob1969
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by yurtle View Post
Besides the radsoks, there is a secondary external connector on some charger plugs. If it's dirty, or the radsok in your cart is dirty, it can fail to make contact. If that's the problem and cleaning it doesn't help, or it's more intermittent than you are happy with, you can eliminate this connector all together.
Are you referring to the little flat contactor on the charger connection? Cleaning that made mine function much better. What does eliminating it entirely do?
Old 03-19-2019, 10:49 AM   #9
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brob1969 View Post
Are you referring to the little flat contactor on the charger connection? Cleaning that made mine function much better. What does eliminating it entirely do?
Yes. Nothing. Instead of relying on an external connection, you merely eliminate the wire and connector by connecting the small wire to the charger output internally, if that makes sense. Electrically they are "almost" the same anyway.

Some argue that there may have been a potential future use for that connector, but my charger doesn't even have that at all.
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2019, 10:57 AM   #10
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Please verify you have a Powerwise 28115 charger, pictured below.

Also attached is a picture of the charger's plug plugged into the cart's charge receptacle with top covers removed, showing the Auxiliary contact touching the outside of the negative radsok inside the red ellipse.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg PW charger - Faceplate.JPG (447.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_2460 aux contact circled.jpg (294.8 KB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO