lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2019, 07:54 PM   #1
Powderbullet
Not Yet Wild

Default 2008 Bad Boy Buggy charging issue

Today I bought a new-to-me Bad Boy Buggy that showed full charge when I first used it but within an hour of light use was showing one bar. When I plugged it in the charger heated excessively at the plug-in point to the cart and then popped the breaker. The batteries were said to be 1 year old and they do have the correct amount of water in them. I measured 6.2 volts on each of the 8 batteries initially. The buggy also must be cycled back to neutral from forward if you sit in one place more than a few seconds. Is this normal?
Powderbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2019, 08:23 PM   #2
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 Bad Boy Buggy charging issue

Welcome.

Attached is a Trojan state of charge (SOC) table for batteries. A fully charged 6 vlt battery should read 6.37 volts. They need to be fully charged before use, as they are only 70 - 80% SOC. You need to report values to two decimal places. After charger completes, with 12 hours and read the voltage of each battery and pack. Ignore the bar gauge and buy a digital volt meter, like ScottyB sells at:

https://www.cartsunlimited.net/
Attached Images
File Type: jpg SOC chart from Trojan Battery..JPG (52.9 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2019, 08:28 PM   #3
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Powderbullet View Post
Today I bought a new-to-me Bad Boy Buggy that showed full charge when I first used it but within an hour of light use was showing one bar. When I plugged it in the charger heated excessively at the plug-in point to the cart and then popped the breaker. The batteries were said to be 1 year old and they do have the correct amount of water in them. I measured 6.2 volts on each of the 8 batteries initially. The buggy also must be cycled back to neutral from forward if you sit in one place more than a few seconds. Is this normal?
Give us more detail. What exactly gets hot? Cable, charger plug, cart port, cart cables from charger port to batteries? Which breaker popped? House or charger?
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2019, 10:02 PM   #4
Powderbullet
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the replies and sorry I did not see them sooner. I will use the charging table to see where the batteries are. I have a good digital meter. The batteries are (much) older than the seller advertised. November 2015 Duracell Cart batteries but seem to be in reasonable condition for their age. The cart was running on rear motor only when I bought it (another thing the seller failed to mention) but turned out it was only a solenoid so now all good there.

The wires heating were a seller home-made charging port, which I have now changed out. Seems to have solved the issue. All in all the cart is in really good shape despite all these issues. Low time, looks new. Just sat too long. I have a steering issue I may self-repair and some annoying squeaks I will eventually run down but fun so far.

Thank you for the link to cartsunlimited.net. Just what I've been looking for. Hated to pay the local dealer to replace a solenoid after I diagnosed it but I was uncertain of where to buy the part. Good to know the local dealer anyway I guess and he did the recall on the throttle for free while he had it.
Old 06-04-2019, 05:03 PM   #5
Powderbullet
Not Yet Wild

The batteries are testing 6.34-6.35 volts at full charge and 6.25-6.26 volts after 15 minutes of moderate use. After about 45 minutes of heavier use they were at 6.16 volts. I am using Duracell Cart batteries from November of 2015.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO