lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-20-2019, 09:35 AM   #11
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Upgrading F&R... Calling ScottyB

I almost bought the 202, but being honest... I really didn't want to spend the extra $86 right now. I am weird like that, I am sure it will come back to haunt me. However, until it does I am sure I will be happy.
DFW Rusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-20-2019, 11:49 AM   #12
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Overkill is underrated.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2019, 11:59 AM   #13
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have a friend in FL who installs a lot of the SW and DC182 and he swears they are underrated. He has had very good luck using them with aftermarket motors etc.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-21-2019, 02:58 AM   #14
Sideways
Gone Wild

I went with the DC182 from Scotty when I upgraded my Medalist to 48v, his instructions are very easy to follow.
I had no issues with the contactor but only use my cart for golf.
Sideways is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 11:04 AM   #15
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Got the contactor and toggle switch installed and wired up. Happy and disappointed at the same time. Not sure if I did something wrong on one issue and I think I have a throttle issue on the other, but I have some other minor issues as well.

Issue #1- When the toggle is in neutral, if you hit the throttle the solenoid will engage. Nothing moves, but the solenoid will still go "CLICK". Not sure if it is supposed to do this. I'm not sure if I did something wrong, but it feels to me like this is letting power go through the contactor even in neutral which will eventually lead to a drag on the batteries when not in use (IMO).

Issue #2- I could not for the life of me figure out how to wire the reverse buzzer back in. I really feel naked without it and want to wire back in. I tried to follow the diagram, but had no luck.

Issue #3- not sure if this is linked to the contactor or if maybe I am having a ITS throttle issue, my golf cart is still having intermittent throttle failure. I will push the throttle and sometimes I get nothing except a click. Before it seemed to do it in reverse more so than in forward, but now it does it in forward more than in reverse. Which is why I bought the new reverse contactor in the first place.

Lasely Issue #4- probably the most aggravating issue, the throttle is un-predictable. Especially in reverse. I can ease the throttle and the cart will not move until a certain point and then it takes off to what feels like 1/2 throttle. Maybe this is tied to issue#3. I wont let my daughter drive the cart until this is resolved, because I can picture her getting hurt or hurting someone else with this issue. Maybe I need to reprogram the throttle in the alltrax or look at the ITS throttle.

Any input will be appreciated!
Old 08-26-2019, 03:41 PM   #16
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

I'm not very familiar with reversing contactor installations, but according to the generic wiring diagram Scotty has on his website, with the key ON, the main solenoid will click when the pedal is pushed.

The beeper isn't shown, but connecting the red wire to the wire from the F/R switch to the coil of the reverse solenoid ought to do the trick.

As for the other two issues, it sounds like you've got a sluggish pedal switch. EZGO uses the NC contacts and they are closed by an itty-bitty spring when the lever is released, so all it takes is a little debris to gum them up.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:12 PM   #17
DFW Rusty
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
I'm not very familiar with reversing contactor installations, but according to the generic wiring diagram Scotty has on his website, with the key ON, the main solenoid will click when the pedal is pushed.

The beeper isn't shown, but connecting the red wire to the wire from the F/R switch to the coil of the reverse solenoid ought to do the trick.

As for the other two issues, it sounds like you've got a sluggish pedal switch. EZGO uses the NC contacts and they are closed by an itty-bitty spring when the lever is released, so all it takes is a little debris to gum them up.

Thanks for clearing up the solenoid activation question. I am not super smart, I just followed the diagram and expected results with little to no understanding of what I am really doing. lol...

I found a youtube video of a guy wiring in a backup buzzer on his reverse contactor, looks very similar to what you put. I'll try that.

So would you recommend just taking the throttle assembly apart and cleaning it, or replacing the microswitch and/or ITS? Parts look to be about $40ish, it's almost worth just replacing them if I'm already going to have it apart.
Old 08-26-2019, 04:37 PM   #18
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DFW Rusty View Post
So would you recommend just taking the throttle assembly apart and cleaning it, or replacing the microswitch and/or ITS? Parts look to be about $40ish, it's almost worth just replacing them if I'm already going to have it apart.
Probably just replacing the pedal switch will take care of issues 3 & 4.
Old 08-26-2019, 05:00 PM   #19
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Johnny is spot on - thank you JB
And issue #1 is really a non issue unless you sleep with the cart in neutral and your foot on the gas

I agree all issues sound like throttle problems.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO