lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-26-2019, 01:15 PM   #1
3491yrennalf
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 EZGO DCS runs if jacked up but not on ground

I have 2 of these carts and both will run like crazy with back wheels off the ground. They will run good in forward and reverse if jacked up but one will run well in reverse if on the ground but not in forward. The other will only run if off the ground.

I do hear a sound when in forward like it is trying to go but may be slipping or binding in the rear axle. Do I have a problem in the rear axle on both carts? If I turn the back wheels by hand the opposite wheel goes in opposite direction. Is this normal.

I tried switching the f1 and f2 wires and the cart that normally runs reverse on ground will run forward on the ground.
3491yrennalf is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-26-2019, 03:59 PM   #2
kgsc
Gone Wild

Mixed Breed

Default Re: 1999 EZGO DCS runs if jacked up but not on ground

Probably bad brake hubs. Take the rear wheels off and hold the brake while hitting the go pedal. I bet you will see a castle nut spinning but not the hub..
kgsc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2019, 05:25 PM   #3
3491yrennalf
Not Yet Wild

Thanks, I will try anything at this point
Old 08-26-2019, 09:33 PM   #4
Imapled
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3491yrennalf View Post
I have 2 of these carts and both will run like crazy with back wheels off the ground. They will run good in forward and reverse if jacked up but one will run well in reverse if on the ground but not in forward. The other will only run if off the ground.
Probably the hubs as suggested already. Just had this happen to one of my TXT's. Stripped hub would sort of work in reverse and rumble in forward. New hub and fixed.
Imapled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2019, 04:58 AM   #5
BBBHC
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
If I turn the back wheels by hand the opposite wheel goes in opposite direction. Is this normal.
Yes, that is normal operation of differentials
BBBHC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2019, 08:06 AM   #6
3491yrennalf
Not Yet Wild

Had to stop working on cart to fix lawn mower. Will try the brakes when I get mower running. Thanks for the info.
Old 08-28-2019, 12:13 PM   #7
3491yrennalf
Not Yet Wild

Checked hubs and brakes and all wheels are spinning freely. Still runs well if on jacks but only runs on ground in reverse unless I switch the f1 and f2.
Old 08-28-2019, 06:39 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Checked hubs and brakes and all wheels are spinning freely. Still runs well if on jacks but only runs on ground in reverse unless I switch the f1 and f2.
You've got two DCS carts with different sympttoms(s).

Cart#1 = one will run well in reverse if on the ground but not in forward.

Cart#2 = The other will only run if off the ground.

Let's start with Cart#2. f & R in the air, but neither direct on the ground. Sounds like a stripped hub, or spline coupling somewhere. The motor shaft is connected to the differential with a spline coupling. The differential is connected to the axles with spline couplings. The axles are connected to the hubs (brake drums) with spline couplings. The wheel and tire assemblies are connected to the hubs with lug bolts.

The weakest link in the mechanical chain between motor shaft and where rubber meets road are the splines in the soft steel hubs.

To check, remove any hubcaps or other covers so you can see the castle nut that holds the hub on the axle. Have one person watch the castle nut while another person tries ti drive cart. If the nut turns, but cat doesn't move, the splines are sheared. Stipped splines on either rear hub will prevent cart from moving, so you have to check both sides.

--------------
Cart#1: Sound like a bad controller, but needs some troubleshooting to be sure.

Since you have two DCS carts, swap controllers while waiting for the new hubs to arrive (Replace both rear hubs). If Controller#2 get Cart#1 going, Controller #1 is bad.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-29-2019, 06:44 AM   #9
3491yrennalf
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the information. I will try all of this. May take some time but I will post results.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO