lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-06-2020, 05:30 AM   #1
peter.tygh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default EM Brake Drive OC Fault

Hi Pete from OZ here,
just chasing some ideas on a 2013 RXV brake fault, I first found the cart with various brake faults on recently refreshed history page, EM Brake ,Failed to set, Test Failed, Drive OC, it would let you push by crossing the 1-3 plug (then put back to correct position once parked up) but there was a little drag, so I ordered a new brake assem from supplier, in that time the cart was moved by pro-shop while I wasn't present and the bypass plug were left in bridging position 1-3, for a couple of days till my return, which I found battery voltage totally drain to 4v for the battery pack & a very strong burnt smell from brake.
After unbolting the 3 x screw & removing brake to get back to workshop, fix battery issue, changed the brake assembly, it now has a EM Brake Drive OC constantly, the new brake works fine on 24v test lead.
Pretty sure the 1206AC-5201 controller may be damaged, is there any test to prove or repair? I hope everyone stays safe during these crazy times pete
peter.tygh is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-07-2020, 07:33 PM   #2
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Default Re: EM Brake Drive OC Fault

Quote:
Originally Posted by peter.tygh View Post
Hi Pete from OZ here,
just chasing some ideas on a 2013 RXV brake fault, I first found the cart with various brake faults on recently refreshed history page, EM Brake ,Failed to set, Test Failed, Drive OC, it would let you push by crossing the 1-3 plug (then put back to correct position once parked up) but there was a little drag, so I ordered a new brake assem from supplier, in that time the cart was moved by pro-shop while I wasn't present and the bypass plug were left in bridging position 1-3, for a couple of days till my return, which I found battery voltage totally drain to 4v for the battery pack & a very strong burnt smell from brake.
After unbolting the 3 x screw & removing brake to get back to workshop, fix battery issue, changed the brake assembly, it now has a EM Brake Drive OC constantly, the new brake works fine on 24v test lead.
Pretty sure the 1206AC-5201 controller may be damaged, is there any test to prove or repair? I hope everyone stays safe during these crazy times pete
Replace the controller. The motor brake FET is damaged.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2020, 11:06 PM   #3
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Always odd that it has a code for the bad FET inside the controller but not a single one for any instance when someone was thrown off the car when the brake locks up. I've replaced countless brakes that got hot and made that acrid odor due to failing but never seen a single code. I usually just assume the brake is bad automatically whenever customer says "it threw me through the windshield as we were cruising at 25 MPH with our lift kit!"

Even the newer Curtis RXVs have zero fault code for 'bad/baked brake'
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2020, 10:05 PM   #4
peter.tygh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Bob & Nick
Sorry for the deal in reply, the link was crashing every time I tried to access.
It looks like they are scrapping the cart for parts, so it gives me a chance to delve deeper, is there a diagram of the FET lay out for the AC controller, my friend at the local Apple shop has all the advanced soldering equipment if needed. I'm not sure on repairers for the controllers, I haven't had much luck dealing with FSIP with returning old controller in the past with there generic contact page, cheers pete
Old 04-10-2020, 03:03 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Thanks Bob & Nick
Sorry for the deal in reply, the link was crashing every time I tried to access.
It looks like they are scrapping the cart for parts, so it gives me a chance to delve deeper, is there a diagram of the FET lay out for the AC controller, my friend at the local Apple shop has all the advanced soldering equipment if needed. I'm not sure on repairers for the controllers, I haven't had much luck dealing with FSIP with returning old controller in the past with there generic contact page, cheers pete
I've replaced the FET before, but with the cover sealed in place with a hard epoxy, there no source for replacing the plastic controller case. Only FSIP can get those from Curtis.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2020, 03:51 AM   #6
peter.tygh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks Bob,
the case is cracked already where the plug lock attaches, well its lucky dip at FSIP again, will see if I get a reply, cheers pete
Old 04-11-2020, 02:18 PM   #7
nickdalzell1
Resident Curmudgeon

Quote:
Thanks Bob & Nick
Oh I hate it when a customer brings in a severely damaged cart (once we got one in that was hit by lightning--fried controller, motor, brake, and charger) and after spending all that time fixing it and getting it running again, they came in later telling us the insurance had decided to total the car and I spent another day undoing whatever I did to fix it.

We got a TXT in now that caught FIRE. I bet by the time I get it running again, they will likely total it and process repeat. I really wish I could do like a junkyard does and say "no" to certain repairs that are nothing short of time sinks with little profit.
nickdalzell1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2020, 09:03 PM   #8
peter.tygh
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I hear you Nick,
luckily this cart is is feeding into 4 other cart that they are trying to retire, so not a total loss which like you say is nice for a change, especially in this crazy time
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO