lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha
Electric Yamaha Electric Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-07-2020, 10:42 AM   #1
Jrnorris
Not Yet Wild

Default 2015 YDREX5 upgrade suggestions

Just bought a Yamaha YDREX5. Nice, but a little slow. Neighborhood is flat. Would like to get some more speed(of course) without breaking the bank. Local dealer wants 175 for the software update. I would rather look at other options. Was told by several people that a new controller would work great, that the original motor should be just fine.. others tell me to just replace the motor and keep stock controller. Looking for suggestions on the best route. I really would like something that gets me over the 20 mph range. Software comes close(I heard) but not fast enough.. thanks
Jrnorris is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-07-2020, 12:03 PM   #2
Unsoshl
Gone Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: 2015 YDREX5 upgrade suggestions

Controller all the way. Alltrax is very user friendly. I got mine from ScottyB (site sponsor) and he pre-programmed mine before shipping. I wouldn't pay for the code only, because you will most likely want to upgrade the controller and motor in the future anyway. My 2 cents.
Unsoshl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2020, 02:03 PM   #3
Jrnorris
Not Yet Wild

Thanks. That’s where I was leaning. Assume 400 should do just fine.
Old 05-09-2020, 02:56 PM   #4
halehouse
Not Yet Wild

I recently installed the Alltrax 400 controller in my YDREX5. It ran fantastic for about 1.5 weeks then burnt the motor out. I spoke with Don PLowman and he advised me that you should never put an Alltrax 400 controller in from of these Yamaha Hitachi motors. He said they will destroy these motors every time.

Needless to say, now I have to purchase a new motor that I wasn't counting on.

Also, my cart went form about 10-13 mph stock to around 15-18 mph when I put the controller in. It wasn't the 20+ I was hoping on but it did run a lot better, for a while. :)
halehouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2020, 02:19 AM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by halehouse View Post
I recently installed the Alltrax 400 controller in my YDREX5. It ran fantastic for about 1.5 weeks then burnt the motor out. I spoke with Don PLowman and he advised me that you should never put an Alltrax 400 controller in from of these Yamaha Hitachi motors. He said they will destroy these motors every time.

Needless to say, now I have to purchase a new motor that I wasn't counting on.

Also, my cart went form about 10-13 mph stock to around 15-18 mph when I put the controller in. It wasn't the 20+ I was hoping on but it did run a lot better, for a while. :)
That motor was already not healthy, those always go 21-22 with alltrax. But yes, bigger amp controllers will eventually kill the weak stock motor.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
RickyM
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yup I have the Alltrax 500amp on my 2015 Yamaha. It's has 23" tires and I get 23mph but from what everyone says my motor probably won't last too long. Only use on paved roads so hopefully it will hold up and can't afford a new motor right now. Amazing controller.
RickyM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2020, 10:39 PM   #7
ac921ol
Getting Wild

I went with plowmans riot kit jr, new controller, new motor, I believe a 2 year guarantee on the motor. On half
Pedal I get around 14-17 I feel pedal smashed I’d get 20+

Cost was 1050.

Was gonna do controller then motor, but just spent the money and went all in. Still in motor break in phase. 50 miles I’m at mile 25
ac921ol is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2020, 08:38 PM   #8
Jrnorris
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for all the input. Thinking of getting the riot from Plowmans. Cost is 1350..but that may be overkill. Grrr. Was just gonna get a controller, motor seems to be fine, but everyone says the Hitachi is gonna burn up. Had my mind made up with the 500 amp, but now I am rethinking, and may just get the whole package and be done with it. Decisions..decisions.
Old 07-11-2020, 06:28 PM   #9
Gafn
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

just pull the trigger on the kit....
I just finished installing controller/motor/wires/sol/reversing switch.....
AMAZING - Scotty hooked me up, install was easy minus a few oh chit... because bubba had been in my wiring harness.
Don't mix and match - do it all at once - new - warranties and POWER....
I had to call Alltrax on a wiring/behavior issue... they answer their tech support line and took care of me in minutes... good support - great product

Pull the trigger get it installed - NEVER look back!
Gafn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 08:52 PM   #10
Alloyvert
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I just went through the same dilemma with my ‘12 and after chatting with Don, I said screw it and ordered the riot kit. But as with many parts these day, patiently waiting for the controllers to get back in stock.
Alloyvert is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Yamaha