lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-18-2020, 05:41 PM   #1
redtide361
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2008 MPT 1000 48v speed, code 4 upgrade

Hey guys I was hoping one of the BMF's on this wonderful site know anything about my mpt 48v ezgo controller speed upgrade. I'm looking to go a little faster if possible.
redtide361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-18-2020, 07:43 PM   #2
redtide361
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2008 MPT 1000 48v speed, code 4 upgrade

Well what I found is I've got the best controller they make without a upgrade and they isn't anything to make it faster? But just cause I found that on the interwebs dont make it true. Any information would be awesome!
redtide361 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 08:02 PM   #3
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Who is "They" and what is the Make/Model of the controller?

A MPT-1000 has a 14.7:1 gears with a speed of about 13MPH on 18" tall tires, so the controller is limiting the motor to about 3600RPM.

Change the gear ratio, changing tire height or installing controller that allows motor to spin faster will all increase speed.

The first two will be reducing torque where rubber meets road in exchange for more speed, but the last one is a pure speed gain.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2020, 11:59 PM   #4
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

If it's the Sepex model I think it is, it can likely be tuned for extra speed, but not just any 'ol dummy with any 'ol programmer knows how to do it.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 05:14 AM   #5
BobBoyce
Gone Insane
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by cgtech View Post
If it's the Sepex model I think it is, it can likely be tuned for extra speed, but not just any 'ol dummy with any 'ol programmer knows how to do it.
100% correct cgtech! While I don't like doing them because they take so long to do right, I have done a few. The motor mapping is not simply uploadable like with an Alltrax controller so the data must be entered manually. Even my Factory level handset is useless for that task, as it requires Development level programming for even the simplest of tasks. The motor armature brushes are prone to premature failure once the RPMs are increased, so one needs to make sure that they are in good condition prior to beginning.
BobBoyce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 06:28 AM   #6
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by BobBoyce View Post
100% correct cgtech! While I don't like doing them because they take so long to do right, I have done a few. The motor mapping is not simply uploadable like with an Alltrax controller so the data must be entered manually. Even my Factory level handset is useless for that task, as it requires Development level programming for even the simplest of tasks. The motor armature brushes are prone to premature failure once the RPMs are increased, so one needs to make sure that they are in good condition prior to beginning.
Mr Bob,

I have a Curtis controller model 1205-112, Serial number 304787, 24V/36V, 400AMP. Is this something you could program or no? I'd like to get more out of it if i could before having to get something like an alltrax...
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:24 AM   #7
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by mfinnegan View Post
Mr Bob,

I have a Curtis controller model 1205-112, Serial number 304787, 24V/36V, 400AMP. Is this something you could program or no? I'd like to get more out of it if i could before having to get something like an alltrax...
Bob may be along later, but a Curtis 1205 is a series drive controller and to increase the speed of a series drive cart you have to change the final drive ratio (differential gears and/or tire height), or increase battery pack voltage, or install a high-speed motor, or reduce the mechanical load, or some combination thereof. Increasing the battery pack voltage increases both speed and torque while with little exception, the others sacrifice torque for speed. (The exception: A physically larger motor might increase speed with little or no torque sacrifice.)

This thread is about a 2008 48V MPT cart, which most likely has a sepex drive with either a Curtis 1206HB or Curtis 1264 controller, maybe a Curtis 1268, and unlike the 1205, they can be tweaked a little by someone with the right tools, skills and knowledge.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2020, 11:28 AM   #8
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnieB View Post
Bob may be along later, but a Curtis 1205 is a series drive controller and to increase the speed of a series drive cart you have to change the final drive ratio (differential gears and/or tire height), or increase battery pack voltage, or install a high-speed motor, or reduce the mechanical load, or some combination thereof. Increasing the battery pack voltage increases both speed and torque while with little exception, the others sacrifice torque for speed. (The exception: A physically larger motor might increase speed with little or no torque sacrifice.)

This thread is about a 2008 48V MPT cart, which most likely has a sepex drive with either a Curtis 1206HB or Curtis 1264 controller, maybe a Curtis 1268, and unlike the 1205, they can be tweaked a little by someone with the right tools, skills and knowledge.
Sorry JB, i'm looking for more torque to go along with the new High Torque D&D motor i just got to be specific! :) I messaged Bob separately earlier for his opinion as not to take away from the point of this thread!
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
48v, ezgo, mpt, sepex, speed code 4
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO