lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-28-2020, 10:29 PM   #1
Homey244
Not Yet Wild

Default Full battery pack voltage?

The more I read, the more issues I keep finding with my 36 volt ezgo medalist. When my charger shuts off I test it with a multimeter and it reads either 35 or 36 volts. I thought this was full charge as it is a 36 volt cart. Now I read that full charge should be 38.6 and 35 is totally dead?? Is that the case and if so why is my charger shutting off too soon? It is a total charge 3 that has a new rectifier on the control board and new diodes.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using Tapatalk
Homey244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-29-2020, 07:42 AM   #2
cdressel
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Full battery pack voltage?

Voltage should be read 12 hours after the charger shuts off. Are you using a digital multimeter or trying to read an analog dial? You should be using a digital meter and recording the voltage to the second decimal place; e.g., 37.82 volts.
Depending on your answers, the charger may be defective or the batteries may need some care.
Also, what manufacturer and model are the batteries? Different manufacturers have slightly different fully charged voltages.

Chuck
cdressel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:35 AM   #3
kernal
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

What Chuck said. Also here is a chart that might help you courtesy of a site sponsor (not me). Your charger should bring the batteries to 44-46 volts before it cuts off. You'll probably have to keep checking to catch it in the act unless you have a fancy multi meter.

What do you know about the batteries? Age? Make and model? Are they all the same? and are they "golf cart" batteries and not so called "deep cycle" or starting batteries.

Is this the same cart that's in this thread? https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=165865
Attached Images
File Type: png state of charge.png (183.0 KB, 0 views)
kernal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:47 AM   #4
mfinnegan
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by Homey244 View Post
The more I read, the more issues I keep finding with my 36 volt ezgo medalist. When my charger shuts off I test it with a multimeter and it reads either 35 or 36 volts. I thought this was full charge as it is a 36 volt cart. Now I read that full charge should be 38.6 and 35 is totally dead?? Is that the case and if so why is my charger shutting off too soon? It is a total charge 3 that has a new rectifier on the control board and new diodes.
i had the same issue. Junked the boat anchor charger and got a modz max

https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=163600
mfinnegan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 09:40 AM   #5
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: Full battery pack voltage?

Quote:

Your cart is considered dead @ 36 volts. Even though it will run @36volts. Your 6 volt batteries should read if new around the 6.4. The charger you are using depends on how it charges. The newer ones want to see about 44 volts before they shut off. That being said check each battery as it's charging to see what you have.
I had a customer's cart had one 6 volt battery charging at 12 volts which isn't right. Took it off the charger and it read 4 volts. But the charger would kick off because of the voltage it was seeing.
One battery reading high but the rest where not even fully charged but the over all voltage was right for the charger to stop.
Check the batteries for water and try it again. It could be the charger also but we don't have enough info. Charge it again and check pack voltage and each battery separate as it's charging to have a better understanding of whats going on.
The batteries shouldn't be more than 2-3 tenths out from each other.
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 11:36 AM   #6
Homey244
Not Yet Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdressel View Post
Voltage should be read 12 hours after the charger shuts off. Are you using a digital multimeter or trying to read an analog dial? You should be using a digital meter and recording the voltage to the second decimal place; e.g., 37.82 volts.

Depending on your answers, the charger may be defective or the batteries may need some care.

Also, what manufacturer and model are the batteries? Different manufacturers have slightly different fully charged voltages.

Chuck
They are Duracell gc-2....all purchased back in may with a manufacturer date of of November 2019.....12 hours after charging I get a total pack charge of 35.38, individual batteries charge is 5.86-5.93

Homey244 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 12:20 PM   #7
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

Low charge voltage output from that style of charger could be because of a bad capacitor.
The capacitor bumps up the output voltage from the transformer.
Testing is fairly easy if you have a multimeter with a capacitance test function.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 01:19 PM   #8
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

All you really need is an AC voltmeter.

Measure the transformer's output voltage with and without the capacitor connected. For that type 36V charger it should be about 60VAC without the capacitor and about 90VAC with it connected.

Specific voltage ranges on attached stuff.
Also attached manual for a TC-III
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test - Text-1.jpg (367.7 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg Transformer-Capacitor test.JPG (66.2 KB, 0 views)
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Total Charge III Parts and service-1.pdf (3.28 MB, 0 views)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 06:30 PM   #9
Fairtax4me
Bonafide Nincompoop

Club Car

I knew that tin foil hat dude would have that info somewhere.
Fairtax4me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2020, 08:20 PM   #10
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Question Re: Full battery pack voltage?

Quote:
They are Duracell gc-2....all purchased back in may with a manufacturer date of of November 2019.....12 hours after charging I get a total pack charge of 35.38, individual batteries charge is 5.86-5.93

Either the charger is not charging the batteries are you have a whole set of bad batteries. I would think it's the charger but you never know.
What does the pack voltage read while charging it?
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO