lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-29-2020, 04:29 PM   #1
Jacobmarquez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Rear Shocks on 2014 Ezgo txt

I was looking around at some other golf carts this past weekend and compared them to mine, and I noticed I did not have any rear shocks. It looks like the rear springs were upgraded to a three leaf. Is it possible that whoever owned this before just upgraded the springs and did not replaced the shocks?
Jacobmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-30-2020, 02:16 PM   #2
peachhead
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: Rear Shocks on 2014 Ezgo txt

If it was upgraded to HD springs (which I think are 3 leaf) then the shocks are not long enough to do any good. From what I can tell most people just take them off.
peachhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 02:37 PM   #3
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Prior to my lithium switch my 4-leaf rear springs (always had and still have shocks) did the job. Of course, 8 T-108's weigh 520-lbs and a 14 module Nissan Leaf pack is about 160-lbs. Net weight loss of 360-lbs.

I took out two of the shortest leafs in the springs on each side and now I have a two leaf spring setup.

Springs are made to support the weight.....shocks are made to dampen the ride so when you hit a bump, the spring isn't a catapult when it decompresses.

I would never run a cart without shocks.....provided the spring setup was correct for the application.

FWIW
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
Jacobmarquez
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveTM View Post
Prior to my lithium switch my 4-leaf rear springs (always had and still have shocks) did the job. Of course, 8 T-108's weigh 520-lbs and a 14 module Nissan Leaf pack is about 160-lbs. Net weight loss of 360-lbs.

I took out two of the shortest leafs in the springs on each side and now I have a two leaf spring setup.

Springs are made to support the weight.....shocks are made to dampen the ride so when you hit a bump, the spring isn't a catapult when it decompresses.

I would never run a cart without shocks.....provided the spring setup was correct for the application.

FWIW
I think I'm definitely going to be adding rear shocks on when I replace my springs. my cart leans to the drive side a little bit, so I will probably be needing to a spring and shock replacement all together.
Jacobmarquez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2020, 03:51 PM   #5
peachhead
Not Yet Wild

The HD springs are adding to the height of the rear of the cart. Even if the shocks are installed they are effectively not doing anything because they are fully extended (maybe I am not wording it right). So if you can tell me how to get shocks to work in that case I would be more than happy. I have talked to several other people that have the same problem with HD rear springs. If I could find some longer shocks maybe it would not be an issue.
Old 06-30-2020, 04:16 PM   #6
peachhead
Not Yet Wild

Let me rephrase maybe. With HD springs, they are stiff enough to where the shocks are effectively not doing anything. On rough terrain, it's as if you don't even have any. If there were some aftermarket shocks that would make a difference I would be interested to try to out. That's what I'm saying.
Old 07-01-2020, 07:58 PM   #7
Cobra,1
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Keep in mind the leaf springs are what carry the load.
The shocks are what dampens, smooths out the up and down travel of the of the springs.

Personally unless you always have the added wheight of people in rear seat, not much need for heavy duty springs.
I installed dual action springs. Since I rarely have someone in back seat. These springs give me a smooth ride normally but if passengers added to rear seat. Springs compress enough to engage third spring thus carrying extra load and keep cart from sagging or bottoming out suspension.

Either way shocks should be used to tame,dampen bouncy ness of Rear suspension. Heavy duty springs or not.😊
Cobra,1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 07:23 AM   #8
DaveTM
Gone Wild

Peachhead and Cobra are both providing good advice.

That's why I stated "a properly set up of correct springs and shocks for YOUR application."

When my cart lost 400-lbs, the 4-leaf HD springs did not allow for the rear to compress when hitting bumps. Just ask my kidneys!!!
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 10:55 AM   #9
coldair
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

also golf cart shocks are really just dampers not a gas charged shock.
you can get shock stud extenders but the problem is some shocks have fine threads, some have course threads and some have fine metric threads
coldair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 09:44 PM   #10
txthunter81
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

My 15 txt didn't come with factory rear shocks either.
txthunter81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO