lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-06-2020, 12:20 PM   #1
viscid
Not Yet Wild

Default 1999 DCS throttle jerky, sometimes moves

Hello, I have been trying to get my cart running again for about 6 weeks now. I have a '99 36V EZGO DCS with an OEM Curtis controller and stock motor. The cart doesn't run and after a few fixes, it starts sporadically. When the pedal is pressed, once in a while it will take off (on stands) and the DCS will kick in. Most of the time, it won't move.

First I replaced the solenoid because there was absolutely no click, nothing. Then I verified the motor was still ok using 2 batteries. I bypassed a bad reed switch, which is on order. I also changed the micro switch in the pedal box and replaced the ITS (the plunger did not seem to be centered, it rubbed the bottom driver's side of the ITS, so I put the old one back on).

The batteries hold their pack voltage of 38.1. There's continuity in the Run/Tow switch. Battery side of solenoid reads 38.1 as does the controller side so somehow I think I screwed up the new solenoid and it needs to be replaced again.

I have some questions still so hoping to get some help.
- the solenoid clicks once I put the cart in F or R, NOT when I depress the pedal. It seems like that may be an issue, along with both sides reading pack voltage. New solenoid?
- have the resistor on the solenoid and added a diode because when this started and I replaced the solenoid, I noticed it didn't have one. Does this cart need a diode along with the resistor?
- could the controller be bad somehow?
- being 20 years old, with next to no maintenance done on it in the past 14 years, should I look into purchasing a new controller and possibly a motor?

Thanks for any assistance and let me know what other tests I can run to help with a virtual diagnosis!
viscid is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-15-2020, 04:59 PM   #2
viscid
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 1999 DCS throttle jerky, sometimes moves

Does anyone have any ideas? I was thinking about purchasing a new controller but not sure if that would help, and if I should purchase a new motor at the same time... If a new controller doesn't work, are they returnable?

Thanks for any assistance.
Old 07-15-2020, 10:22 PM   #3
Swamp_Cart_401
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

How are your battery pack cables? And have you checked all cables/wires for wear spots? They seem to occur where cables/wires bend around frame.

I’m new to the cart world as well and have started out with a 98 TXT DCS and it would sporadically stop/barely move when I first picked it up. Found a worn spot on the wire right outside pedal box and taped it up. Then I swapped battery pack cables due to previous owner mix matching over the years. These things seemed to eliminate the sporadic episodes it was having.

My solenoid clicks the same way yours does as well, hoping that’s not an issue.

I swapped out my controller and solenoid (Thanks to cartsunlimited) today and there is definitely increase in performance but I’m not completely sure it needed it (immediately).

I’m no expert but just some ideas/thoughts. Maybe wait for the pros to weigh in soon and good luck to you.
Swamp_Cart_401 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2020, 11:59 PM   #4
viscid
Not Yet Wild

Thanks Swamp Cart. My battery cables are in great shape, I replaced them all last year and I’ve checked all the wiring, which seems to be in gods shape. Glad to hear the controller helped you.

Tags
controller, pedal box, solenoid
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO