lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-11-2020, 03:49 PM   #1
pixtart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default 2009 EzGo RXV Charging Issue

Hello, newbie here in the group.

I have a 2009 EzGo RXV with a Quiq charger model 9213-4810-E3B.

For the past 6 months, my golf cart would not reach 100% charge. I have a digital state of charge device that would measure the cart's battery level upon turning the key. Initially, it was 92% after buying the cart with a new Golf Pro battery from Battery Source. Told myself that's probably just fine.

But as time goes by, the % after charging goes down and this time it's at 72% so I asked the seller for a replacement charger and they gave me another Quiq charger with the same model.

I noticed that whenever I plug in the charger, it would charge so I leave it as is. The next day, I would check it again, unplug the charger, insert it back in, then the green LED would indicate it charging again as if it was not fully charged.

There were times that I would plug then uplug (then plug again) the charger for the golf cart battery to indicate it being charged, only to be in the same dilemna as above. I do my monthly battery checks religiously that is why I am baffled by this. I did some digging and some pointed out it could be a golf cart charge port issue, but how can I be certain before I buy the equipment?

With 2 of the same charger and still having the same issue, I am inclined to say that there is something wrong with the charge mechanism of the golf cart. Any help leading to the fix of this issue is greatly appreciated.
pixtart is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 08-11-2020, 04:13 PM   #2
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2009 EzGo RXV Charging Issue

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixtart View Post
Hello, newbie here in the group.

I have a 2009 EzGo RXV with a Quiq charger model 9213-4810-E3B.

For the past 6 months, my golf cart would not reach 100% charge. I have a digital state of charge device that would measure the cart's battery level upon turning the key. Initially, it was 92% after buying the cart with a new Golf Pro battery from Battery Source. Told myself that's probably just fine.

But as time goes by, the % after charging goes down and this time it's at 72% so I asked the seller for a replacement charger and they gave me another Quiq charger with the same model.

I noticed that whenever I plug in the charger, it would charge so I leave it as is. The next day, I would check it again, unplug the charger, insert it back in, then the green LED would indicate it charging again as if it was not fully charged.

There were times that I would plug then uplug (then plug again) the charger for the golf cart battery to indicate it being charged, only to be in the same dilemna as above. I do my monthly battery checks religiously that is why I am baffled by this. I did some digging and some pointed out it could be a golf cart charge port issue, but how can I be certain before I buy the equipment?

With 2 of the same charger and still having the same issue, I am inclined to say that there is something wrong with the charge mechanism of the golf cart. Any help leading to the fix of this issue is greatly appreciated.
You mean 4 new batteries, right?

Can you change the SOC meter to voltage? If not, use a multimeter to determine voltage 12-24 hours after a charge cycle has ended. 72% would be around 49.5 volts, a full charge closer to 50.9 V.

My charger will do another cycle if I unplug it and plug it back in. That shouldn't indicate anything.
GATORB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 04:17 PM   #3
rngilliland
Gone Wild

If you have the digital meter that replaces the factory meter, my experience is that it always shows a lower percent charge that the actual charge. I have that meter and I never look at the percent charge anymore. The voltage function is pretty accurate so I just leave it there.

Charge your batteries and then, after the charger shuts off, wait 12 to 24 hours and check the voltage using a multimeter. Use the chart on this page to see what the percent charge is. https://www.cartsunlimited.net/battery-meters.html

Its normal for your charger to start charging again when you unplug it and plug it back in. Even if the batteries were recently charged.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 07:19 PM   #4
pixtart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks GATORB8 and rngilliland. Really appreciate your replies.

I briefly checked and the SOC reading is 44.1VDC and indicating a Red LED on the 1st mark while the battery reading (4x12V battery) is at 50.3VDC using a meter. I have not charged overnight so the meter reading might be flawed. I will give the final voltage reading once the overnight charge is done for at least 12 hours.

I am unable to post a link to the SOC that I bought from eBay and installed myself. But it is the SOC that changes the reading (%, VDC and H or Total Hour count).

I also have a USB charger hooked directly to the battery bank using a 48V to 12V voltage reducer. It is an always on USB charger and does not turn off or on with the turn of the key.
Old 08-11-2020, 07:35 PM   #5
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Based on your "full" voltage readings, we can rule out the charge port as the source of your frustrations. As far as charging the batteries goes, the port just passes power straight through to the batteries, with only a 30a fuse in the path. If the fuse was blown, it wouldnt charge at all. The nature of failures in rxv charge ports is of the type that makes the controller incorrectly think the charger is always plugged in, preventing the vehicle from driving, so that's not related to your frustrations either.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 08:25 PM   #6
pixtart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Thanks cgtech for the insight and assumption that it could not be the charge port.

Anyways, I did some testing again, this time recorded, but being new, I am not able to post a link to the video but I will try to describe it as much as I can.

1. I replaced the extension cord for my charger to a 12AWG 50ft cord to comply with the charger's requirement based on the length of the cord.

2. Turned on the cart and the reading is now at 48.7VDC. Turned off the cart.

3. Plugged in the charger to AC source and the amber LED is at ~ position indicating AC power.0

4. Plugged in the charger to the golf cart, waited for the popping sound from the charger and the charge LED from the cart started to flash. Continued recording and the cart's charge light stopped along with the charger at exactly 1 minute.

5. Continued recording while I unplug the charger from the cart, inserted back the charger then the popping sound (from the charger) then the charge LED from the cart lit. Again, at exactly one minute, the cart's charge LED stopped along with the charger's LED. This happened 5 times (video was almost 6 minutes long recorded continously) and I just left the charger on the cart (but the cart's charge LED is not flashing green).

Cart still runs after the charger is plugged in overnight from the past days/weeks/months that this issue has been going on. But today was the only day I can run the tests after my youngest complained of the battery % reading from the SOC (it has always been set in % mode). Currently, I set it to V mode and while read voltage readings after turning on.

I will post the video link when I am allowed to do so (7 days from today) due to Buggies Gone Wild restrictions.
Old 08-11-2020, 08:49 PM   #7
GATORB8
Getting Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by pixtart View Post

2. Turned on the cart and the reading is now at 48.7VDC. Turned off the cart.
reading on the SOC or multimeter?
GATORB8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 10:34 PM   #8
pixtart
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by GATORB8 View Post
reading on the SOC or multimeter?
Voltage reading was from the SOC. I will post the reading from the multimeter tomorrow morning per your recommendation to charge the cart for 12 to 24 hours before taking voltage reading via multimeter. As of current, it is continously charging unlike the last time.

Thank you for the reply GATORB8.
Old 08-11-2020, 10:43 PM   #9
rngilliland
Gone Wild

(I briefly checked and the SOC reading is 44.1VDC and indicating a Red LED on the 1st mark while the battery reading (4x12V battery) is at 50.3VDC using a meter.)

I think your only problem is the digital SOC gauge isn't accurate. The gauge doesn't read the pack voltage directly. It interprets a signal from the controller. From reading posts about this gauge I think I just got lucky that mine is pretty accurate on voltage.

My stock SOC gauge has a problem with condensation or I would have put it back in. I think the best solution for a digital volt meter is to wire one directly to the battery. If you want it to turn off with the switch you can attach the positive wire to the controller side of the solenoid.
rngilliland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 11:05 PM   #10
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

I'm starting to question the integrity of the wire harness on this cart. Too much stuff doesnt add up. I'm gonna go look at a wire diagram to see what the "48v" source to the meter is.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
deltaquiq, rxv, state of charge
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO