lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-21-2021, 02:57 PM   #1
brunson67
Getting Wild

Default Lithium Ion Upgrade input

Hi all,

I have a custom 2001 Club Car DS I built from the ground up, stretched it 33", long travel front suspension, did my own four wheel disc brake kit, using Club car carryall calipers, Honda Civic rotors, wilwood master cylinder. I'm currently running eight 6 volt batteries, allowing for longer range. We live in a gold cart community, so the cart gets used during summer a lot, plus we take it camping a few times a year. Problem is the typical worrying about battery drain. The wife and I discussed selling it to get a gas, but then after talking to our local golf cart shop he recommended looking into Extreme Team Lithium Ion battery kits. I contacted them and they just released a drop in kit for my DS, 200 Amp hour kit. Looking for thoughts on doing a lithium kit from everybody. I've also read concerns about lithium batteries catching fire or even exploding. Thoughts appreciated.

Rob
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1205.jpg (166.7 KB, 0 views)
brunson67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-21-2021, 03:21 PM   #2
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Default Re: Lithium Ion Upgrade input

I’ve got drop-in allied batteries in my DS. Took me 5 minutes to install the batteries and a half hour to bypass and remove the OBC. I’ll never own an electric cart again that doesn’t have lithium. And to be honest, I’ve always been a gas guy. Aside from a rough and dirty clone powered cart for snow use, I don’t think I’d want another gas after having lithium in my DS.

I just have 2 of the 48v 30aH batteries for total of 60aH. I’m pretty consistently getting 25+ miles out of a charge easily. You’d probably want 3 maybe 4 of them depending on your setup and range expectations but I don’t think you can go wrong. With the allied 48v drop ins you can install up to 8 of them if you’re already running 8x6v for 240aH. I doubt you’d ever have to charge it again LOL

There was a guy selling 4 of them in the classified section fir 1500. Great deal
CP241 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 03:26 PM   #3
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

I've got the S105ah Roypow and love it. They have a "P" version now that I would have gotten. No worries about exploding or catching fire with the premade drop in's. Here's a thread for you:
https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/showthread.php?t=173142
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2021, 04:15 PM   #4
brunson67
Getting Wild

I guess I should have done a search first, I now have and there is s ton of stuff to read. I can say I'm a little tripped out on the whole potential fire/explosion potential.

Thanks for the input.
Old 04-21-2021, 04:23 PM   #5
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by brunson67 View Post
I guess I should have done a search first, I now have and there is s ton of stuff to read. I can say I'm a little tripped out on the whole potential fire/explosion potential.

Thanks for the input.
I’d say the only time the whole “thermal event” thing comes up is with DIY setups and improperly set up charging or BMS. The drop in setups are a bit pricier but quite safe. There’s no guess work. Just install them and go. That’s the reason I went with allied. That and the 8 year warranty.
Old 04-21-2021, 05:43 PM   #6
brunson67
Getting Wild

Excuse my lack of knowledge, what does the BMS do? And what does it stand for?
Old 04-21-2021, 08:17 PM   #7
CP241
Nincompoop village idiot

Club Car

BMS is battery management system. It basically controls the pack to keep everything happy. It monitors all the individual batteries in the pack’s current, temp, and voltage to keep the voltage from dropping too low or too high. It helps to keep bad things from happening as long as it’s set up correctly.

It would be advantageous for you to visit the lithium section here and read through some of the posts. Sergio has some excellent information as well as many others. https://www.buggiesgonewild.com/forumdisplay.php?f=98
Old 04-22-2021, 05:11 AM   #8
Pat911
Gone Wild
Club Car

The BMS controls the charge and the load. It will protect the pack if any one cell gets too high in voltage during charging by disconnecting the charger and it will protect the pack if any one cell gets too low in voltage during discharge by disconnecting the load. It will also keep all cells balanced in voltage. You should never use a lithium battery without a BMS.

Lithium batteries are perfectly safe to use when used in conjunction with a properly connected and configured BMS. A Lithium cell becomes dangerous to use when it is allowed to be over discharged. It only needs to occur once for the cell to become dangerous to use.

LiFePo4 cells are safer to use than LiPo calls but their energy density is considerably less.

Cheers
Pat.
Pat911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 05:50 AM   #9
DaveTM
Gone Wild

As other's have stated, BMS = Battery Management System.

A BMS monitors individual cell voltage when the pack is being charged and discharged (used). A proper charger does not monitor individual cell voltages but simply "looks" at the entire packs voltage and when the pack reaches the set voltage, the charger stops charging.

The BMS also "Balances" the packs individual cells. So, if one cell is say.....4.15V and another is 4.05, the BMS will draw (shunt) the power from the higher cell, and transfer that to the lower charged cell so that when all done, each cell has the same voltage.

This is necessary as you don't want the charger to continue to charge the pack as it "sees" the pack voltage is "X", but one or two cells individually charge above the maximum cell charge of 4.2V. (I'm using Nissan Leaf batteries upper cell charge amounts)

The BMS, properly set up, will cut charger power to the pack once any individual cell goes above a set limit. The BMS, properly set up, will also cut power to the cart if a cell reaches a set lower limit. These settings will prevent any cell in the pack from being overcharged or undercharged. Once an overcharge or undercharge occurs, the given cell is "toast" and should be removed from the cart.

Continued charging of a toasted cell brings a high likelihood of thermal runaway and .......of course, fire.

Nissan Leaf cells are comprised of (Ni), cobalt (Co), and manganese (Mn) and are NOT the same chemistry found in Testla's batteries. Testla batts have much higher energy storage (they must be water cooled) than Leaf's. You don't see much about Nissan Leaf's catching fire. For some education on the Leaf battery visit this web site: https://www.nissan-global.com/EN/TEC...li_ion_ev.html

I hope this helps.
DaveTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2021, 08:53 AM   #10
Bama Brad
Gone Wild
Mixed Breed

You can go 2 routes, make your own or buy the drop in's....If you make your own, there is a lot reading/learning that you need to do (very good info on this site) to do it safely. If you do the drop ins, you plug and go. They already have the safety built in (more expensive).
Bama Brad is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car