lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-30-2009, 05:54 AM   #1
eparker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

Default Drive Clutch Replacement on a Gas 4cycle Workhorse

I have a 1995 Workhorse with a 350 engine. The drive clutch makes noise under speed. I removed the spring and cover and it looks to me like the counter weights(my word) have some side to side play and flip around a good bit. Is there a rebuild kit or parts for the Factory Clutch or should it be replaced? What would be a good replacement?
Thanks.........
eparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-30-2009, 07:59 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: Drive Clutch Replacement on a Gas 4cycle Workhorse

They should rotate freely on the pins as there are no tension springs on them.
As soon as the motor starts rotating they go right to the contact of the slide and stay until stopped.
I'm not sure about the endplay tolerences but a service manual would state wear limits and rebuild instructions.
Are there rollers that the weights ride on and are there any flat spots on them?
That is usually where the noise comes from. Also check the sleave for any wear or slop. Any grease fitting? hit with one or two shots and wipe off excess.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 08:29 PM   #3
eparker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I pulled the clutch and checked the weights. They were loose and flopped side to side. The bolt that holds the weights to the clutch were worn. They broke when I removed them and I had to push them out with a punch. I used a 1/4 inch bolt and ground the head down smaller to almost round. I then cut to them to the right length and drilled a hole so I could put a cotter pin in it since the 1/4 nut would not fit in the housing. When I replaced the bolt the weight which was hardly worn worked great.
The clutch worked perfect when installed.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:19 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Way to go McGyver
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 10:06 PM   #5
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Great fix and while it is running good and quiet, try to find some hardened pins to replace the ones you made or maybe even some grade 8 bolts.
I don't want to sound like a glory killer but I'm not sure the standard grade bolts will last long.
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:24 PM   #6
sccowboy
It ain't gonna be easy.

E-Z-GO

How did you go about getting the drive clutch apart? I have tried in the past to break mine down to clean and inspect it but have never been able to get it apart.
sccowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2009, 11:40 PM   #7
Radicalgolfcarts
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

Put her on E-bay for $100 or so... someone with a wrecked clutch will buy it for sure. That way you will only have a hundred or so into a new one! Just a suggestion. http://radicalgolfcarts.com/EZ-GO_Ca...utches_&ID=177
Radicalgolfcarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2009, 08:19 AM   #8
eparker
Not Yet Wild

Club Car

I didnt have any problem taking it apart. Mine had a ring of bolts around the dust cover and when you removed it there was just the tension/release spring and the clutch itself. I couldnt believe how much rust dust there was inside. It really needed service and a can of brake clean. I used the standard grade bolt because it was simular in strength to the bolts removed. I know it is not a forever repair but it will work great right until it explodes....... O I hope not!!!!
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO