lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-01-2010, 09:50 AM   #21
Workstead
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: 88 Marathon EZGO uns & Dies

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orchard Worker View Post
Hi Vix,
I decided to do the lower end also to this 87 ezgo Cart ,I might as well , I know if If don't I will regret it later.
Also ,are both rings the same? Or are they specific to top and bottom?
I need to fnd a way to pull the Clutch assembly off.
Are there specific marks to the lower end I have to be aware of when taking apart and putting back together?
Thank You
OW
OW,

I just took my clutch assembly off. There is a "bushing" washer at the clutch opening that centers the bolt that holds the clutch on. Remove that washer and you will see that the clutch is threaded. Tht washer on mine was rusted on so I couldn't see the threads on the clutch. I had to use a "percussive adjustment" (hammer blow) to remove the washer. My clutch thread is 3/4" X 16 tpi. The threads inside the clutch were rusted so I couldn't thread a bolt in it. I had to tap the hole and it was a bear because it was like cutting new threads. That shaft may be hardened and for sure the rust was hard. It was a bear to thread and the piston kept turning over. Using advice I got here, I put a piece of soft rope into the cylinder through the plug hole and that stopped the turning.

After my 3/4" X 16 bolt threaded into the clutch easily, I cut a piece of 5/8" rod to 4 1/2" and slid that into the clutch. (The 3/4" bolt, about 2' long and the 5/8" rod is the shop made version of the $35 clutch removal tool). Then I threaded the 3/4" bolt into the clutch and tightened it with a wrench. I was able to tighten the bolt more, but not enough to loosen the clutch.So, out comes the impact wrench and more pressure on the clutch removal bolt. After the bolt was really tight I shut off the impact wrench and tapped the head of the bolt and - POP - off came the clutch. There was some rust on the tapered shaft and I'm sure that the rust added to the resistance to the clutch removal.

I think your '88 and my '92 use the same size bolt and rod, but earlier models use something that is different.

If you would like more detailed info, let me know. This was my first repair of any type of engine and everything I do is a first. I did a lot of research and I would be happy to share what I learned.

Clem
Workstead is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-01-2010, 08:46 PM   #22
Orchard Worker
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: 88 Marathon EZGO uns & Dies

Hi
I removed the Clutch cover when I removed the motor from the cart, I saw the bushing you are talking about, I have an Electric Impact gun that spun the bolt off like nothing. I am waiting for the tool 2 arrive to remove the clutch bolt it looks like the size,
I am also going to complete the bottom end rebuild ,searching for more info before I go ripping it apart.
OW
Orchard Worker is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO