lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2010, 02:30 PM   #1
93Tuff-1
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Gas Marathon lift kit

I was looking at the lift kit at Everything Carts for a Marathon. This is the block kit I believe it is called. Two questions;

1. How strong are the blocks that lift the front springs? I use my cart for many things and all of it over rought terrain.

2. What adjustments must be made to extend the steering? When I look at the pictures I can't tell.

Link to lift kit.

http://www.everythingcarts.com/p-68-...-lift-kit.aspx
93Tuff-1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2010, 02:53 PM   #2
Rush
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Gas Marathon lift kit

I just add a 5in. lift to my 87 ez-go. I got the kit off of e-bay for 70 bucks shipped. It looks to be pretty strong.
Rush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 02:54 PM   #3
ruredy
Born Wild

No adjustments to the steering are nessasary. It's pretty strong, I doubt you'll have any problems out of it. It's just blocks that space things apart some. the drop axle lifts are better in my opinion but one big reason is they provide more ground clearence. the only clearence you gain with the blocks are the difference in tire size from old to the new ones. other than that your just adding a little more leverage for the axle to apply to the springs or vice-versa. I made a block lift for my tuff1 but only because it was so very easy to do and I didn't want to put any money in that cart.
ruredy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 03:50 PM   #4
dhinche
Not Yet Wild

I have this kit on my '83 Marathon. It was the 5". I have beat the h*ll out of it and it is still holding strong. Only thing is the rear extensions to the struts are a little flimsy. I do have an issue with my steering that i have not yet come up with a solution to. With this kit, the tie rod that goes from the steering assm. to the spindle binds. my steering arm isn't bent down slightly like the one in the EC picture. It is straight. Which makes the tie rod ends bind, and not give me a full right turn. I tried flipping the tie rod so it could go down through the top instead of up through the bottom, but it is a tappered hole and only fits one way. I tried flipping the whole spinddle but then it is towed way out. Would work great if your steering has the slight bend down at the end like the one pictured. Still works for me though. Just can't make a full right turn. Hope to come up with a solution soon. To busy riding it though. haha.
dhinche is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 04:38 PM   #5
chardonite
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I just put a 4 inch drop axle in my marathon over the weekend. I think it's the way to go.
chardonite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 05:09 PM   #6
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have this lift in my Marathon. The blocks are welded to the top/bottom plates at 4 points, maybe 1/2" - 3/4" long each. If I were a real welder, I'd weld them all the way around.
The blocks themselves are bolted in place using 4 bolts & nuts at the top plate, and 4 more at the bottom..... as opposed to using 4 long bolts that go all the way from top to bottom. I'm not sure if thats better or worse.

Install is a breeze. And so far, so good. But there is little or no travel in it. If I was doing any real wheelin in my cart, I think I'd consider an IFS of some kind, ie; aftermarket long travel or an ATV suspension retrofit. In any of my future cart builds I think I will probably do just that.

The only steering adjustment is that they suggest you flip the tie rod to the bottom of the pitman arm (it's originally installed on top). Since the hole in the pitman arm is tapered, you'll have to drill that out.

Drop axle will get you a couple inches clearance in the middle between the front tires. But I can't see how it gets you any more suspension travel at all. And thats what you want if your going to beat it in the bumps at all.

Meanwhile I think there are other issues with this style cart. Don't go too tall of a tire or you will be goin slow. I went with the 3" lift & 20" tires & can get about 23 or 24 mph out of it.
AirJunky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 07:23 PM   #7
drc007
Not Yet Wild

hey air junkie where did you get that rack thats on the top of your cart
drc007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:30 PM   #8
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I modified one of those receiver racks that I already owned. I had only used it a few times but not often enough I figured I'd miss it. Cut the length down a bit, removed all the steel receiver parts, made feet from Trex decking, painted the rack, the roof & the front cowl with Herculiner bed liner. Works great for hauling all the lightweight ski gear down to the boat.

After I did the rack & the lift kit, the thing was too tall to get in my garage. So I cut 3" out of the roof supports & windshield. I'm about 6'1" & don't miss the headroom at all.
Old 02-03-2010, 08:36 PM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Looks good, Junky
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2010, 08:43 PM   #10
AirJunky
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Thanks guys. Just watchin & learnin from this site & the contributors on it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO