lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-25-2010, 02:05 PM   #21
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Default Re: All this talk about new cables...What to expect?

I'm one of those that did it a@@ backwards. Since I didn't want to invest in a controller that will knock my wife off the seat when I step on it I decided to go with a reworked motor first. No cable changes and no controller. The motor got me a bit more on the bottom end including getting up to speed faster but the biggest increase was top speed. I've had the motor in for over a year now.

So now for the 4 gauge wires I just installed because I had to see for myself... I found NO improvement on any take off and the same on top end speed. I timed my take offs like in the past;
with Purple IQ Motor and 22” tires I get to 17 mph in 5 seconds, 21 mph in 10 seconds, 23 mph in 15 seconds, 24.3 in 20 seconds and 26+ mph after 25-30 seconds or so. There is at least a 1/2 to 3/4 second hesitation on takeoff with the stock controller included with the speeds above.

So the good news is that when I want to kick my wife off the cart and get a controller to round out my upgrades, (looking into one other then Alltrax for better programming,) I’ll be ready with my 4 gauge wires now on my cart! So $300 for a motor upgrade, $400+ for a controller and/or $100 for wires… it just depends on what you want and in what order!
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-25-2010, 05:47 PM   #22
GLEEMO
just leave me alone

Club Car

what to expect in scuba's case with #4 wires is 4%.
so 30 * .04 = 1.2
so you should have reached 26 mph in 28.8 seconds , instead of 30 .
Stuff like this is hard to measure with out a Dyno tied to a stop watch.

Some times U just have to trust the science !

Thats all I saying about this (probable)
GLEEMO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 05:59 PM   #23
scubabud
Ban Puppy Mills & Stores!

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by GLEEMO View Post
what to expect in scuba's case with #4 wires is 4%.
so 30 * .04 = 1.2
so you should have reached 26 mph in 28.8 seconds , instead of 30 .
Stuff like this is hard to measure with out a Dyno tied to a stop watch.

Some times U just have to trust the science !

Thats all I saying about this (probable)

Actually there would be no gain on top speed if the original wires could handle the current without restriction. Just for the record my tests were done with a stop watch, a Garmin GPS and several passes with a full battery pack. I’m sure there was a margin of error but that would be the same with the before and after tests. A windshield in the up position, a gust of wind, an increase in body weight from a large lunch… in other words even with these tests there wasn’t any noticeable gain in bottom end. One thing to consider though is that others who claim a significant gain might also attribute it to one other variable not mentioned above… and that is that they removed older cables that were corroded or loose and replaced them with clean, new cables placed upon cleaned battery terminals and tightened. I can see that being a larger reason for those noticing gains. Also those with resistor carts without the limiting effects of an OEM controller should notice gains if their wires were smaller gauge preventing full current flow. Just some factors to consider.

PS... the controller I'm looking at is a Logisystems.
scubabud is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car