lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-14-2010, 07:01 PM   #11
TheNewGuy
Admin/Moderator

Yamaha

Default Re: What can do this?

Not clear in the pic but it does look like the helix is too close to trans housing. Are they touching?

TheNewGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #12
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by smallblock450sl View Post
I have to agree with flint....The nut must not be tightened all the way, did you use an impact? Don't worry, the spacers work on all Yamaha models, Except for (The Drive).

I can not remember if i used a impact or not. So i can understand... You think the the outer sheave is moving on the shaft? If it is what i do not understand is why when i move the inner sheave back in position it normally will stay for week or so and the cart runs fine. I am not doubting i just like to understand why something happens.
breugel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:04 PM   #13
qmaziggy
Not Yet Wild

That's what I thought. I had a G22 in the shop yesterday and I tried to put a G2/9 spacer on. Thats how I found out that the difference in spline machining. If you put the spacer on the normal way, it will eventually slide on all the way to the input housing, if you put it on backwards, it will not allow the helix to go on far enough, and the spring pressure will be too high, making the secondary clutch work incorrectly. The helix has to slide on to the snap ring groove and no further. If you take it apart, it will all be very clear. I'm not sure what the best fix is, the snap ring is'nt the strongest in the world even under stock loads, it surely will be a problem with the power kit. Possibly narrowing the G2/9 spacer so you can put it on backwards and still slide the the helix to the original groove?
qmaziggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:12 PM   #14
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheNewGuy View Post
Not clear in the pic but it does look like the helix is too close to trans housing. Are they touching?
It does not look like it to me... Note i rotated the inner sheave into position today.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Helix2.jpg (91.2 KB, 45 views)
Old 03-14-2010, 07:39 PM   #15
craig tn
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Do you feel the helix slipping or what is the cart doing when it is acting up?
craig tn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 07:46 PM   #16
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by craig tn View Post
Do you feel the helix slipping or what is the cart doing when it is acting up?
Nope just high RPM because the driven clutch is not opening up. The belt only goes down about an inch but I have a ton of torque. I was in the mountains and we had about 800 lbs of passengers and crap on the cart and it would climb like anything. It would only go about 10 or so MPH @ 4000 rpm.

If I put on the breaks and give it gas it slips on the drive not the driven.
Old 03-14-2010, 07:47 PM   #17
Flintrock
Raised by coyotes

Yamaha

It can only be one of three things. Helix not spaced properly (c-clip or spacer) nut not tightened suffienctly or helix too short, ie worn out. Tahe it apart, see if the spacer lines up with the original groove for the clip, and re-tighten......
Flintrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 08:05 PM   #18
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flintrock View Post
It can only be one of three things. Helix not spaced properly (c-clip or spacer) nut not tightened suffienctly or helix too short, ie worn out. Tahe it apart, see if the spacer lines up with the original groove for the clip, and re-tighten......
If it does not line up what is the fix? I remember the C clip was almost rusted through and there was some rust on the splines. I suppose the outside edge of the spacer needs to line up to the grove? What is the margin of error. If it does not what happens the helix overrides the sheave?
Old 03-14-2010, 09:08 PM   #19
smallblock450sl
Sometime's............

Yamaha

My gut feeling is, the extra "stiffness" of the torque spring is more then the torque you have on the input shaft nut. I can tell you, we use an impact and you can see the fixed sheave and sliding sheave compress the torque spring into a "fixed" position. Please try the "impact" and let us know what happens.
smallblock450sl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-14-2010, 09:48 PM   #20
breugel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I will try but I just had an idea. When I moved the inner sheave in to place I noticed it was very hard to move. It did not move smoothly. I had lubed it when I put it on and again a month ago. I just checked and my grease gun was not pumping at all. I got it working and put 3 squirts in the driven clutch. If it was not lubed good could this cause my problem? I put on new drive clutch and the belt is not going to the top by 1/2 inch so tomorrow I will try to run it a bit and see if the lube helped. I hate taking it apart.

Does the Picture on page 2 look correct?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha