lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-07-2010, 08:56 PM   #1
dblackmore
Not Yet Wild

Default 1986 EZGO 2 stroke gas piston knocking/pinning

I got an issue on a 1986 ezgo 2 stroke gas that it sounds like the piston is knocking after it has warmed up. The engine has recently been overhauled top and bottle because of low compression (had 108psi forward and 110psi reverse). After rebuild it is 120psi forward and 122psi reverse.

I was running regular unleaded gas so I drained fuel tank and put in super unleaded gas in but still knocks. I'm running a 3.25oz/gallon mixture right now (had a label on the gas tank for this mixture during the first tank for break in and then use a 1 oz/gallon mixture for normal use). I figured I would follow this due to the newly rebuilt engine.

I was thinking maybe a timing issue but during the rebuilt I never touch the pusler coil mount only because it would budge. The engine never knocked prior to the rebuild.

I'm looking for help on how to just the timing or other issue that could be causing this knocking/pinning.

Thanks,
DBlackmore
dblackmore is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-08-2010, 11:33 AM   #2
rib33024

Default Re: 1986 EZGO 2 stroke gas piston knocking/pinning

Pull the plug and see what color it is , sounds like it is running lean and getting hot

white---lean

tan-----good

black- --to rich
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 04:22 PM   #3
dblackmore
Not Yet Wild

Thanks for the info I will check it out tonight I would imagine the screw on the only screw on the carb is the adjustment but witch way (counter clockwise or clockwise to adjust richness?
Old 04-08-2010, 08:29 PM   #4
dblackmore
Not Yet Wild

tried adjusting the only screw on the carb (has a jam nut on it). Moved it all the way in and back it out 1/2 a turn at a time then took it for a ride. It still has a rattle like a knocking piston after it warms up. Moving the screws didn't seems to do anything.

Tags
1986, ezgo gas, knocking, pinning, piston
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO