lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-05-2012, 06:50 PM   #11
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Re: g1 timing ?'s

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Yeah you have a problem you need to find there it should have hardly any difference. There is not much room to move the timing plate so even after I hogged the holes out and whatever I did (it was a long time ago) it did not move it that much, just enough to tell a difference. Even then I bet the power was similar just more snappy and would rev harder in forward. I wanted the rpm mostly for speed, I know that cart did over 30mph with stock tires it would really wind up.

A 2 stroke does not care much about what way it rotates, I don't know if even a piston issue would make any difference....so odds are its a wiring or other ignition issue. Long as you are sure its not the clutch bogging it out in forward compared to reverse.
Thanks Sho! Today I took the flywheel off and rotated the timing plate all the way counter clockwise, and you're right....no difference. I also checked the compression....65 lbs... can't be right. I checked it warm, throttle wide open. It's a HF brand gauge so it's gotta be a hunk of junk. At 65 lbs this thing shouldn't even be running, and I tell you it throws gravel rooster tails in my driveway. I'm going to have to get a snap on gauge or something...

So....I'm betting it's either carburation (next on the list) or clutches (also on my list).

It just seems that this cart should have more oomph.... But I guess it is faster than my old 2004 EZGO TXT so maybe it's ok. I just don't have anything to compare it to.
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2012, 01:53 AM   #12
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

If it throws gravel rooster tails in your driveway, it must be running pretty good. if it runs better in reverse than forward, then prolly not a carb problem. by the way, nice job on your build, looks real good. looks like a twin to mine, same paint scheme also , but mine is all stock.
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:34 AM   #13
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamarancher View Post
If it throws gravel rooster tails in your driveway, it must be running pretty good. if it runs better in reverse than forward, then prolly not a carb problem. by the way, nice job on your build, looks real good. looks like a twin to mine, same paint scheme also , but mine is all stock.
Thanks Rancher! Do you have a build thread on yours? Yeah, since I haven't driven any other G1's I just don't know if mine is running as good as it should. I haven't been able to check compression because every gauge I try is junk.
Old 01-08-2012, 08:49 PM   #14
yamarancher
Gone Wild

Yamaha

don't have a build thread actually, all i've done so far was rebuild the motor. the rest is all stock. runs good , i'm very happy with it. this is my first cart and i think i'm addicted.
yamarancher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 10:34 PM   #15
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If the rings are bad it will leak a lot when you turn it over by hand slowly, but hard to tell that way. 2 strokes need a good bore/rings to make power. I cut the head on mine, worked on the exhaust port height by hand, had the clutch apart a few times. These can also have plugged mufflers especially if they sound quiet at idle. Should be pretty easy to spin with GC tires, I used to smoke them on pavement it was funny. It would spin up any hill that was not paved, likely paved too if I could have found a steep enough one. But a stock one would always spin on grass/dirt up a hill it would never bog out.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:45 AM   #16
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
If the rings are bad it will leak a lot when you turn it over by hand slowly, but hard to tell that way. 2 strokes need a good bore/rings to make power. I cut the head on mine, worked on the exhaust port height by hand, had the clutch apart a few times. These can also have plugged mufflers especially if they sound quiet at idle. Should be pretty easy to spin with GC tires, I used to smoke them on pavement it was funny. It would spin up any hill that was not paved, likely paved too if I could have found a steep enough one. But a stock one would always spin on grass/dirt up a hill it would never bog out.
With a new jug, piston, rings, crank, bearings and seals....it's frustrating to think that the rings could be bad....although I have read a few threads here about guys who bought new parts and they didn't match up very good. I need to get a good compression gauge and then verify the compression. I guess it is possible my compression might be low.
Old 01-09-2012, 04:36 PM   #17
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

IIRC the are 6:1 compression, that is why cutting the head works. I hand sanded the top of the port around half to one mm higher best I recall. I had the head off and worked on it a little for days. Stupid way to do it but it was sitting there anyway. I marked the port then stopped when I got there, tapered it back out, emery cloth. Cleaned it really good and put the cut head on. Advantage I had is this was long ago and the carts were <5yr old or they turned them in for new ones lol.

Have you run it enough to break it in? You can put oil in there and try again that will seal the rings and you see an instant difference (on a gauge, if they are leaking).

I used to lean off the left side of seat and hold brakes, floor it and it would spin the right tire on pavement without moving. It did all kinds of powerslides in gravel or wet grass. I would hang it sideways on wet grass at 6am in the morning all the way down 500yd fairways....going pretty fast. What a fun place to work it spoiled me for life lol, but the pay was not so great I had to leave. It would rev some and take off then the rpm went lower as it shifted and gained speed, until full shift then rpm went up.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha