lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-21-2011, 01:56 AM   #1
jmunkie13
Not Yet Wild

Default hardwiring a battery charger

I keep my 36v battery charger on board. Is there a way to hardwire it safely to the cart so that i only have to plug into the wall outlet.

When i got the cart the "reed switch" had already been disabled so that it will move with the charger plugged in.

I thought i had this figured out and i hard connected the cables from inside the female receptical on the cart to the cables inside the male plug of the charger

white to white
black to black
red from charger to the set of black.

charger came on like normal but a few hours later when i came back to check on it my battery meter is reading dead.

it is the middle of the night so i am not test driving it until tomorrow but i am afraid i may have fried my batteries.

any input is appreciated
jmunkie13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-23-2011, 12:37 AM   #2
jmunkie13
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: hardwiring a battery charger

all good....freaked out over nothing. Battery meter was just confused
Old 06-23-2011, 04:30 PM   #3
Andy4639
48/400/Alltrax HS motor

E-Z-GO

Thumbs up Re: hardwiring a battery charger

Depending on the charger be carefull when washing the cart. Chargers don't like water!
Andy4639 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2011, 08:55 PM   #4
jmunkie13
Not Yet Wild

thanks...Ive got an enclosed trunk so it shouldnt be a big problem, but i will keep an eye out
Old 06-24-2011, 02:37 PM   #5
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunkie13 View Post
I keep my 36v battery charger on board. Is there a way to hardwire it safely to the cart so that i only have to plug into the wall outlet.

When i got the cart the "reed switch" had already been disabled so that it will move with the charger plugged in.

I thought i had this figured out and i hard connected the cables from inside the female receptical on the cart to the cables inside the male plug of the charger

white to white
black to black
red from charger to the set of black.
charger came on like normal but a few hours later when i came back to check on it my battery meter is reading dead.

it is the middle of the night so i am not test driving it until tomorrow but i am afraid i may have fried my batteries.

any input is appreciated
Are you talking about an EZ-GO Powerwise charger? If so, then i'snt your relay inside your charger staying closed all the time with this set-up? Or did you install some kind of additional switch to stop the battery drain and keep the relay from closing until it is time to charge?
TDAWG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 03:09 PM   #6
jmunkie13
Not Yet Wild

Ill have to check what type of charger it is when i get home....if you are correct in the constant drain how bad do you think it would be?
Old 06-29-2011, 12:22 AM   #7
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmunkie13 View Post
Ill have to check what type of charger it is when i get home....if you are correct in the constant drain how bad do you think it would be?
The battery drain is not really the most important part here. Considering that batteries drain just sitting there without anything putting a load on them, any extra battery drain is not good. The most important thing is that a regular EZ-GO Powerwise charger is only meant to be an on-board charger if it has been modied with an extra relay or some kind of switch to break the DC side. There is a thread on this forum on this exact subject. You just need to do a search for hardwire charger and it will come up. The way that EZ-GO does it is to add an extra relay to the charger that breaks the DC side of the charger and only allows the DC relay to close when the AC side of the charger is pluged in. I did not notice a part number in the thread that I read so I am working on a part number for you. Dont get me wrong, there are several ways to accomplish this, I am just trying to tell you the way EZ-GO does it.
Old 07-04-2011, 11:15 AM   #8
TDAWG
Gone Wild

Ok I finally have the info that you need. Did you find out if your charger is an EZ-GO Powerwise charger?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO