lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 07-29-2011, 06:56 AM   #21
DBC
Not Yet Wild

Default Re: old cart + impact= no power

rabbitreborn,

Every morning is a good morning. The local 4H club is having the yearly county fair so there will be lots of young folks and horses to assist here in Waterloo, Iowa. I will check this B.G.W. forum through the day.

37.7v for 9 0'clock (A side) in forward position.

37.7v for 6 o'clock
(a cable to the positive of the main battery pack & one wire to the common connection of the pedal micro switch.)

These were checked with the start key in both the on and off position and voltage was the same.
DBC is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 07-29-2011, 07:49 AM   #22
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

ok, you have 37.7 volts on the 9 oclock but less than 5 volts on the A side of the solenoid .......

There is a direct connection between those 2 points in the form of a wire.... you should have the same voltage between those 2 points, since you don't I would have to suspect a faulty wire?
rabbitreborn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 09:25 AM   #23
DBC
Not Yet Wild

rabbitreborn,

Yes, the A side of the solenoid was less than 5v when the F/R was in nuetral.

However, with the F/R in forward and the key switch in on position then both ends of the cable/wire are 37.7 volts.

I am starting to get the idea of where the current is going and why. What I am about to report to you may not be helpful but here is what I tried.

With the pedal fully down and key switch in on position and F/R in forward.

The voltage readings at all of the following points were 37.7 volts:

* 9 o'clock F/R control

* A side of solenoid

* B side of solenoid

* all connections to the motor in both directions from the solenoid

* on the motor, A1, A2 & F1

I will recheck my notes from past parts of this thread to make sure I have given you correct answers. Please repeat questions that you think I may have not understood.
Old 07-29-2011, 10:33 AM   #24
rib33024

F1 on the motor??
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 11:23 AM   #25
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by rib33024 View Post
F1 on the motor??
glad I'm not the only one that caught that.....

Ummm if the motor is labeled A1, A2, F1,F2 we have a MAJOR problem.....

the labels should read, A1,A2,S1,S2

Edit:
It is entirely possible that at some point in time someone swapped out the motor and installed a DCS motor into the cart.

If so, then it is the wrong motor for the cart. and will have to be replaced. I noticed that you only listed power at 3 posts. Did you check for power on the 4th post? Was there any? Ignore the A1,A2 posts for the moment and focus on the other 2 posts. Set you meter to read continuity and (with everything shut off, cart in neutral) place one probe on each of these 2 posts. Do you get continuity through them? I am seriously suspecting a burnt out motor at this point.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:25 AM   #26
rib33024

Quote:
Originally Posted by rabbitreborn View Post
glad I'm not the only one that caught that.....

Ummm if the motor is labeled A1, A2, F1,F2 we have a MAJOR problem.....

the labels should read, A1,A2,S1,S2
thats what i'am talking about, I was waiting for him to reply
rib33024 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011, 02:20 PM   #27
DBC
Not Yet Wild

rabbitreborn,

No continuity between motor post (with wires labeled F1 and F2.)

Everything was off... key off and pedal up.

The motor's plate is as follows:

general Electric
dc motor
Model 5B 648 jb6
rpm 2800
hp 2
v 36
A 55series FR
GEJ 3122
serial no. BRN
class B

The two post toward the front edge are stamped A1 & A2

The post that is midway center top has the wire labeled F1

The post to back and top center of motor has the wire labeled F2 and I did not originally check this for voltage since it goes directly to the ground side of battery pack.
Old 07-29-2011, 08:41 PM   #28
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

OK the wire is labeled F1 but what is the motor stamped?

Also, please do a further test for me. Set the volt meter to 200 Volts DC and attach the black to the M- post on the controller and the red to the B+ on the controller.

Have someone depress the pedal on the car (Key on, cart in forward, rear wheels off the ground). You should see voltage rise from 0 (at no pedal) to full pack voltage of 37.7 (at full pedal down). Are you seeing this reading?

If so, we have 1 final test to perform.
Old 07-29-2011, 11:26 PM   #29
DBC
Not Yet Wild

rabbitreborn,

Long day but I am back in the saddle or I guess that would be out of it for now.

The wire labeled F1 goes to a post that has no stamp on the motor. The post is located in the middle of the top of the motor.

Your instructions to use the M- & B+ on the controller have me pondering as there are no markings on the F/R control itself. Have I been using the term (controller) for the wrong part? I don't know what to call it but the view from the opposite side of the F/R lever is four post in a 12,3,6 & 9 o'clock position in relation to the center of the F/R lever pivot point.

If the m- post stands for the negative connection then the 12 o'clock position would likely be as close to negative as possible. It goes to the middle post (wire F1) of the motor. The post near it (also with no stamping on motor) at the end of the motor has a cable (F2) going directly to the negative of the battery pack.

If the B+ post stands for the positive then that would be the 6 o'clock position as this post goes directly to the positive side of the battery pack.

I will wait for your go ahead if you think I have the M- & B+ assigned to the correct F/R positions of 12 o'clock as - and 6 o'clock as +.

My brain hurts.
Old 07-30-2011, 08:36 AM   #30
rabbitreborn
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I stand corrected, I was helping multiple people all at once and forgot which cart you had for a moment......

you have a resistor cart, ignore the previous test I asked for. I just re-read all the tests that have been done and I want to make sure I understand what we are dealing with.

1. your cart has a "wiper board" with a solenoid mounted on it that has a moveable contact and multiple small "button" contacts?

2(a). Directly behind that you have a steel box with wiring coming from the buttons on the wiper board to the resistor coils insite the box?

or

2(b). Directly behind the wiper board you have a motor that is located between the 2 packs of batteries and there are wires running alongside the motor that go to a set of resistors hanging behind the Driver's side pack of batteries?

3. You are getting readings of 37.7 volts on (Key on, cart in gear, pedal down):
All 4 points of the F&R switch?
Both sides of the solenoid?
A1,A2,Wire marked F1 (this should actually be marked S1)?

Tags
36 vdc, textron
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO