lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 08-13-2011, 10:26 PM   #1
G2Rebel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Drive clutch machining

Does anyone and if so who machines drive clutches not the driven.
G2Rebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-17-2011, 07:22 PM   #2
KRAZYMATT
Gone Wild
Club Car

Default Re: Drive clutch machining

Message "BigBlockMan" on here.
KRAZYMATT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2011, 01:23 PM   #3
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

I think cartpartsplus does but never saw it listen on their site. Not sure what it will do for a cart, some say it really helps on some ATV but few say anything about a cart. The cut secondary does work but only gives you a lower first gear. It takes off harder and the clutch will spin up faster, but runs normally otherwise.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 08:48 PM   #4
Roush32
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I called cart parts plus and was told the Drive had a completely different type of clutch and could not be machined. So I got the heavy clutch spring, speed spring, and the extreme duty belt. Now my cart will run 25mph and has all the power on hills I need. I have a 6" lift with 23" tires.
Roush32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 06:59 AM   #5
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

The torque spring for the clutch is the best/cheapest mod you'll do on a lifted cart.

spriddle is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2011, 07:30 AM   #6
G2Rebel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I forgot I even posted this. I've had the torque spring in it since i built the cart last year. My drive clutch sheaves are starting to have wear spots in it is the reason for asking. I have already taken are of the problem though.
Old 10-24-2011, 07:48 AM   #7
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

If it has wear spots and and wearing thin, replace it. Could be dangerous.

Old 10-24-2011, 01:50 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

If you hold a little straight edge inside the clutch from the center to the outside edge, you will see it is rounded out in the center from wear. It does not shift as well that way. Eventually the outer part will get steeper and it can't run the belt (especially a worn one) to the top for full high gear. This happens mostly on the drive clutch, it happens to the aluminum sheaves the steel ones hold up much better. The secondary will also wear and eventually get holes in it like the primary, which tear up the belt. By this time they don't shift well at all, don't go that fast. The dirt will get inside the primary. The secondary will eventually break off the whole outer ring of the sheave.

Now on some clutches they machine them to get the angle and straightness back, but that is typically on any other type of machine where they stay clean. Sleds and ATV they are covered or is no dirt around. I'd say if you machine GC clutch its not going to last that long. They can be machined on different angles to affect how they work or how close they come together. A cut secondary sheave is only cut in the inside so it comes in more, not on the belt surface.

Someone told a story here about a primary clutch braking off and flying someplace. I know a guy that wore a G9 until it died and the cart stopped, the ring was sitting there, had to tow it home. The primary still has big webbing holding it together not sure how that could break. I'm not going to say it can't happen. I can tell you by then the cart runs like crap, would only go 15mph on 22s, made lots of noises, sluggish, etc., belt was trashed. But parts were on order and he wanted to go next door so he kept going. Now this is a different story on say a sled, where the engine normally runs over 8,000 rpm. That is why sleds have a big guard on the clutches, and it is why if you have brains you keep them in top condition. But on a stock or other stock lawn powered low rpm golf cart you would have to do it on purpose I think, or maybe some object got in there and hit the clutch. Again anything can break, its not smart to run any equipment all messed up like that, so I'm not at all recommending it. All I can say for sure is that I did not see any danger element on a G9, it just ran really badly that way and was no fun, and then it died. Maybe the one that broke was all hopped up and the engine ran at much higher rpm, but I don't recall if that was even an wear issue. I do remember the photos.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 05:08 AM   #9
G2Rebel
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have installed a new clutch on the cart already. Didn't like the looks of the sheave so replaced for good measure.
Old 10-25-2011, 06:35 AM   #10
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by G2Rebel View Post
I have installed a new clutch on the cart already. Didn't like the looks of the sheave so replaced for good measure.

Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha