lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 09-20-2011, 01:24 AM   #1
shag9499
Not Yet Wild

Default i need power

ok guys i have a ez go workhorse that the serial number says its a 97 but i believe its a 98 or newer because it has a cvt. the clutch in the 97 manual looks nothing like the cvt i have. we were having major problems in hillclimbing so we took apart the driven clutch thanks to the forums here. found the ramp was wore a good deal and the buttons were pretty much gone. so we replaced the buttons ramp and a new stock spring. assembled the clutch 3 times with the spring inserted to each of the three holes located inside the clutch housing to see if any of these holes changed the low end torque. to our dismay none of the settings helped our primary problem of not having power for small or large inclines. im sure that the drive clutch will need some attention as well since the shape of the driven was in such poor shape, but on flat ground both clutches seem to act as they should as far as changing where the belt rides in the sheave. and i can not find any diagrams or info on removal of the drive clutch. any help is greatly appreciated. and heres a kicker for ya. before we tore the driven apart my dad rotated the movable sheave on the drivin and heard it click. then it ran like a bat outta hell he said. up hills no problem fast as heck. so im thinking he basicaly was able to put some more preload on the spring since the buttons and ramp were wore out????? its my best guess but im a rookie. all things point to the driven being the culprit since he messed with the old one, twisted it and it worked as it should. not exactly sure how or why but he said it did. thoughts????? ideas?????
shag9499 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 09-20-2011, 05:26 AM   #2
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Default Re: i need power

Welcome to BGW!!
Here is some good reading.

http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/ezgo-...en-clutch.html
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #3
shag9499
Not Yet Wild

Thanks crash.....gona look into the belt swap. Is there any info out there on a drive clutch rebuild? Pics, diagrams, part numbers naturaly are a plus. Just want some info before I tear into it. It has the dust cover with several small bolts.
Old 09-20-2011, 12:51 PM   #4
crash12888
Gone Crazy

Shag, you will eventually spend a lot of money on your cart, you can deny it but you just cant help it.

The best and first money you should spend is for a service/repair manual. Stick it in the porcelin Library and read when you.......can.
There are a great bunch of guys and gals here and no question is a dumb one.

Remove the cover first and inspect, most cases a good cleaning is all it takes. Check the sponsors for roller and weight kits if they are needed.

Can you notice where your belt engages on the drive clutch just as it takes off?
Lower in the drive clutch the better, mid way up is like starting in 2nd or third gear.
Make sure the driven clutch is closing all the way when stopped, is the belt at the very top?
crash12888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:17 PM   #5
shag9499
Not Yet Wild

Yes im finding out that its all gonna add up lol. Im not looking for big n fancy I just need it to go up hills so itll help out around my dads place. The belt appears to me to be seated properly at start.....out on driven flush with the od of the sheave and loose n off the shaft on the drive at least till u wanna go then itll start to move out on the sheave. So to me it appears the clutches are working properly. At least to some degeee....not sure how much travel in on the driven and out on,the drive there should be. Dads gonna try and go from a complete stop at the base of a smaller hill to see if in the lowest ratio setting of the clutches itll go up the hill. Thus giving the maximum torque for the current setting correct? Because every time we get a run for the hill and the clutches have swapped to a higher rpm lower torque ratio ie sucked in on the driven and out on the drive. My thinking is this should to some degree simulate a shorter drive belt......ok an update mid post lol dad stopped at the bottom of a small incline,and tried to climb it but no good. So upon tinkering as he likes to do lol he sprays the drive shaft and sheave with wd40 thinking that the drive clutch is not working correctly and or hanging up when trying to move on the drive shaft to compress on,the belt. Well the tinkering paid off as it was operating much to his approval and climbed the tallest of hills lol. So now where am I lol. Thoughts?
Old 09-20-2011, 02:18 PM   #6
DOOmsman
Gone Wild

Yamaha

You say the secondary clicked and the ramps were worn,
I think you may not be putting in the required prewrap when
assembling the driven?
DOOmsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2011, 02:23 PM   #7
shag9499
Not Yet Wild

Yes it did doos but that was before rebuilding the driven....all good now I think lol preloaded at 140 degreese
Old 09-23-2011, 02:03 PM   #8
shag9499
Not Yet Wild

ok so we have it narrowed to the drive clutch. took the dust cover off and cleaned components. components looked good and in good working condition. put her back together and took off...still no power goin up hills.....but if you spray wd on around the drive shaft where the movable sheave moves inb and out on the shaft it will allow the clutch to operate smother and go up hills a lot better. is that supposed to be packed with grease to help the movable sheave bearing system work better? just looking for a fix other than buying a new drive clutch. the wd wears out pretty quick and your back to no hill power. anyone tore into one of these????
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO