lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-25-2011, 07:38 PM   #1
theclintonsx4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Power wise Charger Qestion....

My kids got finished riding the cart this evening and they pulled it in my shop and plugged it up and got nothing. I quickly opened it up because I have batteries that are less than 2 weeks old and don't want them sitting around half charged. After inspection, I bypassed the relay on the circuit board and it came on.
Questions are:
1) Does this mean the board/relay is bad and needs replacing? Could it be anything else??
2)Will the charger still time out with the relay being bypassed manually or will it stay on indefinitely??

I have it on an outlet timer just in case.......
theclintonsx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-25-2011, 08:05 PM   #2
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Power wise Charger Qestion....

Quote:
Originally Posted by theclintonsx4 View Post
My kids got finished riding the cart this evening and they pulled it in my shop and plugged it up and got nothing. I quickly opened it up because I have batteries that are less than 2 weeks old and don't want them sitting around half charged. After inspection, I bypassed the relay on the circuit board and it came on.
Questions are:
1) Does this mean the board/relay is bad and needs replacing? Could it be anything else??
2)Will the charger still time out with the relay being bypassed manually or will it stay on indefinitely??

I have it on an outlet timer just in case.......
Let it charge for a bit and then reconnect the relay and see if it charges then. Knowing kids, it probably got run till almost dead!

With the relay bypassed the charger will not turn off!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2011, 08:12 PM   #3
theclintonsx4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

It was at 37.4 volts when they got off the cart? Wouldn't that be enough to allow it to come on??
Old 10-25-2011, 08:51 PM   #4
theclintonsx4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I just checked the cart and unhooked the relay bypass I had made. It did immediately turn on normally. My question is why would it not turn on initially and what would u do if u were on vacation or something and the charger decided not to turn on?? What options would u have with your tools at home? I'm considering installing a manual bypass as a precaution. Any other ideas?
Old 10-25-2011, 08:59 PM   #5
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I just checked the cart and unhooked the relay bypass I had made. It did immediately turn on normally. My question is why would it not turn on initially and what would u do if u were on vacation or something and the charger decided not to turn on?? What options would u have with your tools at home? I'm considering installing a manual bypass as a precaution. Any other ideas?
That's a thought! I wonder if jumping the relay with the board connected could hurt the board? I'm sure you'll get some more input on this. It sounds like a great idea though!
Old 10-26-2011, 08:53 AM   #6
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
........My question is why would it not turn on initially.........
Loose/dirty Aux contact in charger plug, dirty outside of Negative radsok in charger receptacle on cart or intermittent continuity in the sense wire (smaller of the three wire in the charger output cable).

The control board in the charger senses battery pack voltage via the Aux contact in the charger plug touching the outside of the B- radsok in the cart's charger receptacle.
If the voltage isn't sensed for some reason, or is below about 27V (36V charger), the control board won't energize the relay to apply AC to the transformer.

As Simple man said, with the relay bypassed, the charger will stay on forever. Personally, I don't believe adding a bypass switch is a good idea.
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-26-2011, 11:11 AM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

@ theclintonsx4, I would follow " JohnnieB's " advise on your charger! He is very knowledgeable about electronics in general. I totally forgot about the connections in the plug and receptacle! I just replaced these on mine too!
Old 10-26-2011, 11:30 AM   #8
theclintonsx4
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I'll check the plugs and clean them. I'm just not clear on why it wouldn't work at over 37 volts but 15 mins later it works fine? I never you,he'd the plugs on the cary, I only removed my jumper so i don't think it could have created contact if there was none originally because the plug never moved?
Old 10-27-2011, 09:47 AM   #9
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
I'll check the plugs and clean them. I'm just not clear on why it wouldn't work at over 37 volts but 15 mins later it works fine? I never you,he'd the plugs on the cary, I only removed my jumper so i don't think it could have created contact if there was none originally because the plug never moved?
Halloween is near, maybe the gremlins and goblins are lurking about!

I've worked on electrical and electronic stuff for over 50 years and have asked myself similar questions many times.
The only viable answer I've been able to come up with is Resistentialism.
(The spiteful behavior manifested by inanimate objects towards humans)
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2011, 09:54 AM   #10
Coltf1991
Gone Wild
E-Z-GO

John used that big word on me when I told him I bought a club car
Coltf1991 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO