lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 12-26-2011, 03:29 PM   #1
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Default Why we don't wear gloves while tuning the carburator!

I was tuning the carb on my G1 and.....

Man, why on earth was I wearing gloves? I never wear gloves when tuning a running engine.....Ouch!
slonomo is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 12-26-2011, 03:36 PM   #2
jlhog
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Why we don't wear gloves while tuning the carburator!

That just might need a couple stiches. What happened?
jlhog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 06:48 PM   #3
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Man!!!
I ran the same finger through a power steering belt! I feel for you! It hurts like a SOB! I didn't have gloves on, though. My finger was broken also. Yours might be too!
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2011, 07:01 PM   #4
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Hand got too close to the starter gen while the engine was running. Sucked it right in and stalled it. I thought the glove was just stuck and tried to pull it out....ouch....guess it's not just the glove. Lucky the wife was home to cut the belt, I couldn't move. It didn't hurt until I looked at my hand and saw my middle finger pointing 90 degrees to the right and my ring finger all mangled up. Must have got wedged under the belt and wrapped up behind and under the pulley because I did have to yank it outta there even with the belt cut off.

So, no broken bones. Two dislocated fingers, middle and ring, and 9 very wide stitches on the ring.

Didn't ruin my glove though! LOL! Not even a cut or any blood marks. Weird.

I'm still going to therapy, fingers don't move too good and the middle one hurts like a mother!!! This was Oct 18th....

Be careful guys!
Old 12-27-2011, 09:04 AM   #5
bokeasmowl
friends call me Boke

Yamaha

WOW that sucks.
bokeasmowl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 09:09 AM   #6
essness
Not your usual outlaw

Yamaha

I just threw up a little
essness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 12:39 PM   #7
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by slonomo View Post
Hand got too close to the starter gen while the engine was running. Sucked it right in and stalled it. I thought the glove was just stuck and tried to pull it out....ouch....guess it's not just the glove. Lucky the wife was home to cut the belt, I couldn't move. It didn't hurt until I looked at my hand and saw my middle finger pointing 90 degrees to the right and my ring finger all mangled up. Must have got wedged under the belt and wrapped up behind and under the pulley because I did have to yank it outta there even with the belt cut off.

So, no broken bones. Two dislocated fingers, middle and ring, and 9 very wide stitches on the ring.

Didn't ruin my glove though! LOL! Not even a cut or any blood marks. Weird.

I'm still going to therapy, fingers don't move too good and the middle one hurts like a mother!!! This was Oct 18th....

Be careful guys!
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but it's gonna hurt for several more months!
I was working on my girlfriends car and had my hand reaching through the belt of the power steering pump. I asked her to turn the steering wheel a bit and the next thing I knew the engine cranked up and finger went around the pulley and was twisted and broken. I was lucky it wasn't cut off! It basically squashed down to zero space, as that belt was pretty tight.
Yeah, it doesn't take but a heartbeat for an accident to happen!
Hope you're better soon and don't have permanent damage. I still have full use of mine, even though it's a bit crooked.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 01:58 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Not a good idea to wear gloves around things that move. If you ever worked in a machine shop there is a reason you don't wear gloves around mills and drill presses, they will grab the glove or other loose clothing and suck you right in.

That looks like it will hurt for a while! Ouch. I kicked something a while back, just the wrong way I guess, it messed up one of my toes. It did not seem broken I could pull on it and all that so just took it easy. Let me tell you it took weeks to walk right, still have to stretch it as it is tight at times.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #9
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by simple man View Post
Not to be the bearer of bad news, but it's gonna hurt for several more months!
I was working on my girlfriends car and had my hand reaching through the belt of the power steering pump. I asked her to turn the steering wheel a bit and the next thing I knew the engine cranked up and finger went around the pulley and was twisted and broken. I was lucky it wasn't cut off! It basically squashed down to zero space, as that belt was pretty tight.
Yeah, it doesn't take but a heartbeat for an accident to happen!
Hope you're better soon and don't have permanent damage. I still have full use of mine, even though it's a bit crooked.
The doc told me no surgery but therapy will be painful. Gave me 3-6 months before 100% mobility, if I get 100% back. I'm not banking on it. Fingers are crooked and one is twisted like a spiral a bit. But....still have them....

Thanks for the good words.

On a funnier note...my wife hated the golf cart BEFORE it ate my hand....now? Don't even ask. Let's just say I don't get much tinkering time lately...
Old 12-27-2011, 11:41 PM   #10
slonomo
Searching for The Way

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by sho305 View Post
Not a good idea to wear gloves around things that move. If you ever worked in a machine shop there is a reason you don't wear gloves around mills and drill presses, they will grab the glove or other loose clothing and suck you right in.

That looks like it will hurt for a while! Ouch. I kicked something a while back, just the wrong way I guess, it messed up one of my toes. It did not seem broken I could pull on it and all that so just took it easy. Let me tell you it took weeks to walk right, still have to stretch it as it is tight at times.
It's interesting that you say that because I NEVER DO THAT! The one time I wore the darn gloves....oops! Well, let's just say it could have been much worse. I met a guy at the doc that owns a tree service company. He's in his 50's and been trimming trees for 30 years. He was splitting wood in the hydraulic splitter and well, split his 3 fingers off one hand. He said he's run that machine tens of thousands of times, but it only takes that one time that you aren't "respecting" the machine.

I have a new "respect" for my machines. Glad I didn't lose my fingers.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha