lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-08-2012, 09:10 AM   #1
Mish313
Not Yet Wild

Default Smaller belt size? Pro's cons? 2001 TXT

Hey guys,

Im pretty new to the Buggy modding scene but I have allot of experience in in golf machinery maintenance. I have picked up a Buggy from work for nothing and I have taken on the task of doing it up in my spare time!

The question I have is about the the belt of the main drive....

I already have cleaned the main clutch and replaced the springs inside with a performance spring and have replaced the driven clutch with a 28 degree and again added a performance spring.

Ive been reading about people putting smaller belts on their buggies but im not too sure for what gain? It seems to add more torque to the buggy but does it affect the top ends? What are the pros and cons here?

My buggy needs a new main drive belt so I need to purchase a new one anyways advice is needed! My buggy is only going to be a personal one to play golf in but I want it to be fast and cool!! I already have lifted it 6" and have 12" rims on her ;)
Mish313 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-08-2012, 09:33 AM   #2
ez go go
Doin' the Wild Thang

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Smaller belt size? Pro's cons? 2001 TXT

Shorter belt will give you a lot more low end torque. Some top end is lost but can be recovered by governor adjustment. The shorter belt and the 28 make it hard to shift the cart from foward to reverse but that will also work itself out with use.
ez go go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 01:33 PM   #3
emcdawg
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

I just went an inch shorter and gained a ton of low end torque and did not notice any top end loss. The shifting is a problem but has gotton every hour of use. Money well spent IMO.
emcdawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2012, 07:26 PM   #4
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

i put the gates 6098 on. pulls good running 23mph at 4100 rpm all stock clutches. as others have said the shifting sucks and it has to be able to roll to start. stopped on a steep hill and i couldnt get it to do anything. but people say it will get better. thinking about sending the driven clutch
in to cpp
882001 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #5
Mish313
Not Yet Wild

I have much experience with playing with the guvners on these buggies as work gets me to tone them down for pay and players who just rag the buggies around the course ;) What goes down also goes up ;) allot in my case :D

How do you overcome the shifting problem from forward to reverse? Rock the buggie backwards and forwards or something? Or does it make that grinding noise until it finally clicks in...

Thanks for posts so far been a great help! If you have belt sizes and makes would also help like 882001 Thanks pal!!
Old 01-09-2012, 11:25 AM   #6
simple man
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I remember reading a post where the person made a simple " clutch brake " that stops the driven clutch from turning. I'll try to find it. I would imagine, over time, that trying to change direction while the driven clutch is rotating, will ultimately damage the gears in the transaxle.
simple man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 01:16 PM   #7
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The key to smooth shifts between F&R is in the timing, like shifting in a big truck. Roll back and shift as you come to a stop, not when you are stopped and not when you are rolling fast. Just as the wheels are in their last 1/4 rotation...... practice this for smooth short belt shifts.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 12:11 PM   #8
Mish313
Not Yet Wild

AHHHHAAHHH Boys look what I have found! I got my old belt number which is a 72054g01 EZGo found out the Length which is 41.750 Width which is 1.888.

Then THIS weblink on DAYCO

http://www.daycoproducts.com/daycowe...dimensions.pdf

So I figure I want a HP 2012 or HP 2013 I think a HP 2012 would give me a slight boost with a easier shift especially with my new 28deg tighter clutch.

Opinions? Should i consider the HP2013?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO