lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-09-2012, 03:12 PM   #1
Take_em
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Tire size with lift

I was wordering if anyone could tell me what size tires I can run with a 4" lift on a G9? I've been working on it a lot and I am sick of looking at the little slicks that are on it. Thanks for any info.
Take_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-09-2012, 05:12 PM   #2
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Default Re: Tire size with lift

Should be able to run 22x11 on it, but you need offset wheels not stock ones and the lift must move the front arms forward and inch or two. If it does not then you can only run 20s on it, the ones listed at stores with the cheap lifts. If you get a big 22 (maybe 23) with large tread sometimes you have to cut and wire back the front of the rear wells, sometimes cut some of the rocker metal off, long as the front arms are moved forward. Otherwise the front will hit the frame tubes by the floor when you turn with a 22. For ATV type tires, a 20 lawn tire will fit a stock cart. If you go offroad I'd recommend ATV rated tire they are a lot better about punctures we have had them with lawn type tires and 2 ply non atv rated. The 2 ply can be more wobbly, but for sand or campgrounds its not that big of a deal as off road trails.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 05:46 PM   #3
Take_em
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

I was thinking about the cheaper 4" lift. Kind of on a budget when it comes to my cart. I'll mainly be using it on my farm, no real rough off roading but it does get wet at times. Do you think one of those coupled with some mud tires would be ok?
Old 01-09-2012, 05:54 PM   #4
Todd Dolfi
Gone Wild

Yamaha

My wife's cart is an 84 with a 4" lift with 22's on it with no problems. Just can't put a lot of weight on the back tires hit the frame. U can make a lift pretty easy if u are mechanical..
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Dads 019.jpg (209.9 KB, 17 views)
File Type: jpg 100_2218.jpg (171.0 KB, 19 views)
Todd Dolfi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 06:28 PM   #5
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

The cheap lifts work fine, though I would say shop for one that fits 22s and get that if cost is not much different. Larger tires roll over stuff easier I can drive over 12" logs with mine. I made my lift long ago, I put multiple holes in to change height and lean the rear shocks back so they hold more. I can fill my box and it will lift the front tires, but I'm careful don't want to break anything. It does ride harder that way but I do a lot of yard work with it. Also offset rims are much more stable far as sidehills and so on, cornering, etc. You can get cheaper steel ones but some of the alloy ones are quite reasonable. Remember odds are you will not mess with it again so a couple extra bucks for cool wheels (at least for me) is a great investment. Far as tires more tread is good you don't get stuck, once it spins you are done that is why more tread works better. But if you drive on yards don't get the mud tires they can tear things up. I got the trailpro and they have worked great. They will plug in nasty mud but hardly ride in that and they are fairly nice to yards, ride good, great traction on sand/dirt/etc I run the most and don't make noise on the hardpack. There are a lot more 22 tires available far as choice. So weigh that and go for it, in the end any lift and atv type tires are way better than stock even if they are only 20".
Old 01-09-2012, 06:58 PM   #6
yamasteve
Not Yet Wild

Like you I opted for the cheap lift on my g-9, just for cruising around the campground. With 20's on mine, it looks like there is enough room for 22's on front, but rears would be real close. I put the McMaster Carr coils on the rear, and put the rear(stock) coils on the front, which might help in clearance also.
yamasteve is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2012, 07:05 PM   #7
Take_em
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Todd Dolfi View Post
My wife's cart is an 84 with a 4" lift with 22's on it with no problems. Just can't put a lot of weight on the back tires hit the frame. U can make a lift pretty easy if u are mechanical..
I can see the c channel shock mount in the second pic but I can't tell what's going on in the first pic. Does your lift just lengthen the top shock mount? I can weld/fab. Just never made a lift and wasn't sure how it all went down. Sho, do you have any pics of your rear set up? If you do and it's not too much trouble could you post them or email them to me at take_em40@yahoo.com . I like that you can load the back end down since my cart has a bed and will be used for work . Thanks again.
Old 01-09-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_em View Post
I can see the c channel shock mount in the second pic but I can't tell what's going on in the first pic. Does your lift just lengthen the top shock mount? I can weld/fab. Just never made a lift and wasn't sure how it all went down. Sho, do you have any pics of your rear set up? If you do and it's not too much trouble could you post them or email them to me at take_em40@yahoo.com . I like that you can load the back end down since my cart has a bed and will be used for work . Thanks again.
Let me dig up pics, I had imagecave and they went out of biz.

I used a 1.25 square bar because I had it scrap and some angles that were about 0.5"x2"x1/8". The square you could use tubing and it fits right up into the shock mount, that length determines the height. I but welded the angle on each side at end of square and one is longer. The inside is longer and reaches to the rear frame going to the bumper. I stuck a couple selftapping polebarn screws in that all it does is keep it from wobbling in the mount. The square in the mount has the stock shock bolt holding it. The other angle is long enough to have some holes in it then I can move the shock around.
Old 01-10-2012, 08:43 AM   #9
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

With a 4 inch lift you'll need to go with 20's. If you put 22's on it with a 4 inch lift you'll have to trim out the kickplate up front and they'll still rub a little on the back when you hit bumps. I have G9 that has 20's on the front and 22's on the back: 4 inch lift on front and 6 inch lift on the back. Rides really well. I use it to pull a small bushhog and needed a larger tire in the back.

IMGP0031.JPG

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 09:02 AM   #10
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Here is a G16 I had a 4 inch econo lift on with 22 inch tires. I circled the areas I had to trim out/cut in order for them to work. It still rubbed a little in the rear when hitting bumps. Also had 2 inch spacers on the wheels. The front cowl, I had to pull back the molding, trim off about half an inch or so and put it back in place. With a G9 you'll have to trim out the outside fender well area.

Yamaha4inchLift22.JPG

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha