lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-10-2012, 10:50 AM   #11
Take_em
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default Re: Tire size with lift

Thanks for the info. Sounds like I might need to go with a 5 or 6" lift. I want to have enough ground clearance for running around the farm and not rub the tires when I put stuff in the bed or hit bumps. Is it possible to fab a shock mount lift larger than 4" or is th a-arm lift the way to go for heights over 4"?
Take_em is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-10-2012, 11:23 AM   #12
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_em View Post
Thanks for the info. Sounds like I might need to go with a 5 or 6" lift. I want to have enough ground clearance for running around the farm and not rub the tires when I put stuff in the bed or hit bumps. Is it possible to fab a shock mount lift larger than 4" or is th a-arm lift the way to go for heights over 4"?
If you fab a shock mount for a lift like an econo lift in the front, it will throw the alignment way off and cause the tires to dip in at the bottom. You'll have to increase or build another plate for the center of the a-arms. An a-arm lift (like a double a-arm) will give you a much better ride. If your going to use this cart around the farm, going up and down hills, hauling things, etc... I also invest in some alumimun spacers: 2 inch. They'll give your cart more stability. I use my G9 around my farm and have them on the rear only. Is this going to just be a work and somewhat play cart? Something you'll use to work with and play around the farm, you want to spend the least amount of money possible because your going to bang it up here and there?

spriddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 11:34 AM   #13
Take_em
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yeah pretty much for farm use and letting the kids ride on. It's not going to be a beauty queen but it needs to be dependable. I found this lift - http://www.radicalgolfcarts.com/yama...8&c=114&i=2179
Seems like a good deal but like I said this is my first rodeo.
Old 01-10-2012, 11:46 AM   #14
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

That looks like a pretty good price on that lift. Those guys used to sponsor here. You should not need the triangle piece. May just be a pic for standard lift. That piece is used on G-16's. The rear lifts on a G2/G4 is simply a shock extension. This lift also has the ajustment holes for the front shocks so you can change them if needed.

Old 01-10-2012, 01:02 PM   #15
Take_em
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks for the help. I may try to buy that one. It's the least expensive I have seen
Old 01-10-2012, 01:16 PM   #16
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

Here are some photos. One is the rear mount, the back side is only long enough for the holes. Note it tilts downward so as you stiffen the shock it adds height so it does not rub. It is set to the stiffest. The front arms I rebuilt, cut them behind the spindle and changed the angle. This is much like the lifts with the tubular arms, except it made mine a little more narrow. I should have made the center plate wider but used the stock arm holes. Just mounted the arms in front of the old mounts and welded new plates in. I never put risers on my tie rods it does not turn as sharp but not really a problem. The front shock mounts are just a piece of 1.5x3 tubing welded to a 1/4 plate that has the two little bolts in it and through the frame upright. The bolt through the top is in the stock mount hole, the shock now mounts in one of three holes in bottom. Side is cut out to clear shock there. When you lean the shocks inwards they get weaker. I found the front soft helps steering and ride as there is little weight on the front, also run the tires at half the pressure. I stuck a rod loop in the front plates to stiffen it up and give a tie down or tow loop.

It will save you a lot of time to buy one. Back when I did this there were none for sale.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Oct 2010 022.jpg (166.7 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Oct 2010 020.jpg (222.3 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Oct 2010 026.jpg (175.4 KB, 10 views)
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-10-2012, 02:41 PM   #17
spriddle
Admin

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Take_em View Post
Thanks for the help. I may try to buy that one. It's the least expensive I have seen
I hear ya. Did the same thing with my old G9. Didn't spend much money on it and made or fabbed up most of the things on it. Best and funnest cart I've owned too.

And be sure your kids are safe on it. They'll want to run it wide open and see how much it can do. These carts can flip and can be very dangerous. I'd invest in some alumimun wheel spacers: 2 inch, solid spacers. Not the stud extenders. At least for the rear anyway.

Old 01-10-2012, 03:40 PM   #18
Take_em
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by spriddle View Post
I hear ya. Did the same thing with my old G9. Didn't spend much money on it and made or fabbed up most of the things on it. Best and funnest cart I've owned too.

And be sure your kids are safe on it. They'll want to run it wide open and see how much it can do. These carts can flip and can be very dangerous. I'd invest in some alumimun wheel spacers: 2 inch, solid spacers. Not the stud extenders. At least for the rear anyway.
I was pleased to learn that these were pretty good carts. I bought it off craigslist and didn't know much about them. My little girl won't be driving it for a while ( she turned 1 in nov.) but thanks for the tip on the spacers to widen it. I'll do most of my work on it later this spring. I mainly bought it to take her outside this winter. I've got an enclosure and a heater for it because of her chemo she can't be outside in the cold much. But she loves checking on the cows in her cart with dad. I don't care if it blows up this summer, it's been worth every penny making her happy .
Old 01-10-2012, 03:50 PM   #19
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

My wheels are 3+5 offset, stock is 3.5/3.5. So that makes the cart 3" wider and it is pretty stable. Another thing is ATV rated tires the sidewalls are much harder and feel more stable but do ride a little harder. Still the big tires ride way nicer than little tires. I can run down the side of RR tracks and never had a problem with it tipping within reason, never had it tip on some nasty trails. But I don't get nuts usually have passenger on long rides. Yeah kids love rides on them, have plenty of miles on mine from just that. You can't go wrong there good luck.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha