lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 01-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #1
nddoublea77
Not Yet Wild

Default 2000 TXT 36 volt problem

I just got my cart out of cold storage and put it on the charger. The voltmeter showed full after the charge but all it did was click and sputter. Could feel it wanting to move but wouldn't. So I added distilled water where low and put it back on the charger overnight. Same issue. I checked voltage and getting a pack reading of 37. Individuals are like 6.05, 6.10, 6.19, 6.20, 6.15, 6.15. I noticed some goo on the terminals. Should I take them all apart and clean them or are the batteries on their way out. Could it be something else? It was fine when parked. The batteries are Interstate brand. The only reason I got it out is Im selling it. Needless to say I don't want to stick any money in if I don't have to. Thanks
nddoublea77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 01-26-2012, 09:53 AM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: 2000 TXT 36 volt problem

Quote:
Originally Posted by nddoublea77 View Post
I just got my cart out of cold storage and put it on the charger. The voltmeter showed full after the charge but all it did was click and sputter. Could feel it wanting to move but wouldn't. So I added distilled water where low and put it back on the charger overnight. Same issue. I checked voltage and getting a pack reading of 37. Individuals are like 6.05, 6.10, 6.19, 6.20, 6.15, 6.15. I noticed some goo on the terminals. Should I take them all apart and clean them or are the batteries on their way out. Could it be something else? It was fine when parked. The batteries are Interstate brand. The only reason I got it out is Im selling it. Needless to say I don't want to stick any money in if I don't have to. Thanks
State of Charge is very low for having just been charged twice. It sounds like you need batteries.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 10:27 AM   #3
nddoublea77
Not Yet Wild

How do I check the specific gravity of the cells? Where should that level be at? If I push the accelorator pedal lightly it will creep forward but when I push it down further it clicks and stops. Is it not getting the power and the controller is shutting it down then? It ran so great last fall. I cant believe they went to **** like that.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:33 AM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

You may have one battery which is dropping out under load. Try taping the meter to the pack and laying it on the seat. Check reading when sitting & the reading when you try to go... post the results here. You can then do this test on each individual battery until you find the one(s) that are dropping 2v or more under load. Those are the bad ones which you can replace with good used batteries.
Old 01-26-2012, 10:53 AM   #5
JohnnieB
Techno-Nerd

E-Z-GO

Quote:
........The only reason I got it out is Im selling it. Needless to say I don't want to stick any money in if I don't have to. Thanks
I take it that the batteries were not maintained while the cart was in storage.

It also sounds like the SOC voltmeter didn't fair any better from the experience than the batteries did.

Personally, if I was going to sell a cart, I would clean all the cable connections, remove all the cobwebs and give it a thorough cleaning in general.

As for the batteries, the worst one is only taking a 50% charge and the best is only 70%, so they are FUBAR (Fouled Up Beyond All Redemption - for the PC police), but you might try charging them, recharging them and then charging them some more, just to see if they'll come up any more.

Even if they do come up some, I'd still advise the buyer the cart was being sold without batteries and the only reason they are still in the cart is to save him/her core charges when new batteries are purchased.

--------------

Got called away while typing. So I'll added this.

Quote:
How do I check the specific gravity of the cells? Where should that level be at? If I push the accelorator pedal lightly it will creep forward but when I push it down further it clicks and stops. Is it not getting the power and the controller is shutting it down then? It ran so great last fall. I cant believe they went to **** like that.
You need a hydrometer to measure Specific Gravity, but just measuring the terminal voltage of the individual batteries like Scotty described, will tell you if there is a bad battery or two in the pack.

Creeping with the pedal slightly pushed and shutting off when pushed further sounds like the controller is going into low-voltage cutoff. If you have a PDS cart, I wouldn't try running it with a low battery pack too much. Series controllers are more tolerant of low voltage.

Lead-Acid batteries self-discharge and it doesn't take long to ruin good batteries when they are allowed to sit in a discharged state.

Last edited by JohnnieB; 01-26-2012 at 11:13 AM.. Reason: Added comments
JohnnieB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-26-2012, 11:14 AM   #6
nddoublea77
Not Yet Wild

Started at the positive and worked my way around. Cleaned everything. Removed terminals and sanded where needed. Put it all back together and I see the SOC meter is dropping fast. I found one bad battery. Checked it 4 times to be sure. THey look like this

3.08 6.30 to 6.27 under load

6.15 to 6.12 6.16 to 6.12

6.05 to 6.01 6.21 to 6.17
Old 01-26-2012, 11:19 AM   #7
nddoublea77
Not Yet Wild

Sorry. Thats confusing. Like this from positve

6.21 to 6.17 under load

6.16 to 6.12

6.30 to 6.27

3.0 and fluctuates

6.15 to 6.12

6.05 to 6.01
Old 01-26-2012, 11:20 AM   #8
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

The 3.8 battery has a cell that is dropping out under load.... Buy one used battery and please let the buyer know you did that so he could test drive but, he will likely need to buy batteries soon.

Glad I could help you find the problem.
Old 01-26-2012, 11:25 AM   #9
nddoublea77
Not Yet Wild

Thanks scotty. Any recommends as far as reasonablely price batteries if I was to just replace them?
Old 01-26-2012, 11:38 AM   #10
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

I have a very strong recommendation on this subject.

Don't cheap out and buy the least expensive batteries. It is a disservice to the next owner. Better you should just price it $6-700 below market value and let the new buyer invest in good batteries.
If you decide to replace them get the largest battery that fits your cart. Trojan T105 is the OEM battery. Crown 225 is one step better replacement and T225 are better than T105. US 2200 is good but not US1800. And so on. Always replace the cable with premium golf cart (not automotive) battery cable when installing new batteries.
I hope this helps.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO