lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-05-2012, 03:59 PM   #1
sbrown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Default TXT advice for torque

I am of course a new member who just got a 36 volt EZ-GO TXT . Looks like a 96 model to me, its camo, 5" lift , 22" tires, racks on front and back. I mainly got it to hunt on and ride the kids around. It is SUPPOSED to have a fairly new ALLTRAX controller and motor and batteries were supposed to be about 2 years old but according to the little tags on top they look like they are about 3 years old. I of course know very little about these carts and am trying to learn and have a few questions.
I am not concerned to much with speed right now but would like to have a little more "climbing" power. I realize it's not gonna compare to my Arctic Cat 4X4 but what can I do to maximize that?
I have already checked cables and they look clean and tight. I also checked and filled water to appropriate levels today. It was a little low.

What the diference in the controller and the motor? I see where the motor is located on rear end under batteries. Any help,suggestions, ideas,upgrades, maintenance tips will be appreciated. Looking forward to this site. Thanks.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg ez go.jpg (119.4 KB, 8 views)
sbrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-05-2012, 04:52 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: TXT advice for torque

Almost all 96 TXT were series carts.(with few exceptions) They are good off-road carts… They make more torque than speed. Your taller tires have change the final gear ratio by about 25%. You will need to increase the amperage supply to gain that lost torque back.

When you put your foot to the floor the motor is trying to draw 100% of the battery pack amperage. The controller is a limiting device like a gate valve in a pipe. A larger controller will allow the motor to access more amperage. The increased amperage is converted to increased torque.

Increased voltage will increase torque and speed.

The whole system needs to be upgraded to handle the increased amperage flow. this includes the cables, the F&R, the solenoid, the controller, and all the cables.
Any part that is not upgraded becomes a bottleneck in the amperage flow which produces heat and eventual failure.

I hope this helps
scottyb is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 05:18 PM   #3
sbrown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Just checked, it does have a Alltrax DCX controller, not sure which one. Cables look pretty good and while they look large enough to me I'll have them checked out. Im worried the batteries may be to weak. They seem to be charging ok and it runs ok just has no climbing power. I have not ran it very long yet either to see how long batteries will last.
Old 03-05-2012, 06:28 PM   #4
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

Does this cart have a Run/Tow toggle switch under the passenger seat on the controller cover?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 08:25 PM   #5
sbrown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

yes. It has a switch, run on one side, tow/maintenance on the other
Old 03-05-2012, 08:40 PM   #6
gornoman
Stay thirsty my friends!

Mixed Breed

OK, you have a '96 TXT DCS cart. Your first move is to get a digital multimeter, learn how to use it (it's easy-peasy), and start monitoring your battery voltages, both single and pack voltages, 12 hours after charger finishes, as well as when you are climbing that hill. We need to know all these numbers to help diagnose what is going on. Also, what kind/model charger are you using?
gornoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012, 09:08 PM   #7
sbrown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

I think it is a Power wise charger, Golf Pro 220 batteries. I'll get a multimeter this week.
Old 03-05-2012, 09:39 PM   #8
sbrown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Also, is 48v upgrade really an upgrade for me? What all is involved besides adding 2 more batteries?
Old 03-07-2012, 11:07 AM   #9
sbrown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

Ok, got a digital multimeter,radioshack model. If I am using it right , the readings are as follows.
pack reading of 37.55

Thats after charging and letting sit overnight. Gonna run today a few miles if possible and see what it is then.

What should it be? That sounds low. Saw just a little corrosion on two batteries,don't think thats the problem but gonna clean anyway.
Old 03-07-2012, 11:17 AM   #10
sbrown
Not Yet Wild

E-Z-GO

also, I noticed a small wiring harness coming off the left side of the motor,if your looking from behind the cart, it's not connected to anything? Should it be?
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO