lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO
Gas EZGO Gas EZGO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 03-25-2012, 12:44 AM   #1
ProOnThaSnow
Not Yet Wild

Default Lift on a 1978 EZGO Gas Cart?

I am going to be going to look at what the guy says is a 1978 EZ GO Gas Cart. He's sent me pictures and it looks to be in pretty good shape. I know what compression should be, and how to check steering, and well I'm a mechanic so I know what to look for when buying anything with an engine and 4 wheels typically...

Now here's where I am confused. I am trying to find a lift for a 1978 and I cannot find ANYTHING. I've come across them for a 1979 up and tons for 1980 up. Is there a reason for this?

I was wondering, even without seeing it in person if it is possible to lift it.

The other thing is it seems as if every '78 I find is a 3 wheel, be it gas or electric and the pictures he sent me it is clearly a 4 wheel... I am almost wondering if either A) he doesn't really know what year it is or B) he hit the wrong button when he sent the text.

I am going to see if he will send me the serial number tomorrow and conveniently (I am out of town) my hotel less than a block from an EZGO dealer. I was thinking about stopping by there on Monday and just talking to them a bit.

I am planning on lifting whatever cart I do get to let the wife use to run around at the drag strip (If all goes right while I am there I should be in my racecar for the most part).

I just dont want to purchase something if it isn't going to be able to do what I want, especially if I am going to drag it 700 miles home! It seems to be a decent price (said he was asking $800 and willing to negotiate, If it looks like it is in good shape and checked out - as well as even working for what I want it for, I was probably going to hit him at $500 and see if he'd bite. If not, I'd go up to $600 if it is in good shape - but much more than that and I know I could buy newer than this one).
ProOnThaSnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 03-25-2012, 07:37 AM   #2
Nate69
Getting Wild
E-Z-GO

Default Re: Lift on a 1978 EZGO Gas Cart?

man that sounds like a deal bud , yea i would get the serial # for it .. best of luck to ya !
Nate69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2012, 11:17 PM   #3
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I have a 79 ez go and I bought my lift from a place called atv engineering. It a 5 inch bolt on and it said it was for an 80-93. I installed it with no problems. Like nate said get the numbers to make sure. On that cart it should be on the right side under the dash board. Hope this helps.
1fast67 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 01:14 AM   #4
ProOnThaSnow
Not Yet Wild

Hey, I'm in Spokane right now as a matter of fact - just debating whether or not I want to make the trek down to Lewiston, ID Tuesday after having to run to the Tri-Cities tomorrow to pick up a race trailer a friend bought. I'd have no problem with Lewiston, but I dont want to hit Lolo Pass into Missoula if the roads are snow/ice/frost covered with a trailer behind me that isn't mine!

So where are the good (cheap) carts at around here? I was thinking about just hitting all the golf cart shops tomorrow afternoon when I get back from Tri-Cities as I've seen some ads for carts around $1000 and figured I could haggle a bit possibly - and use the fuel $ I'd save from not driving down there towards a cart.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:32 AM   #5
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Welcome to spokane! There are a couple that I know of. One is a yamaha shop on east trent and the other is an ez go shop and its on broadway arcross from the truck stop called pacific golf and turf.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:36 AM   #6
ProOnThaSnow
Not Yet Wild

Yeah, I'm staying at the Rodeway Inn on Broadway so I think when I get back to town tomorrow I'm going to walk down to EZ-GO. I saw (I think on Division - I dont know, the other end of town where the mall is) another dealer and was looking online and it looks like there's another downtown. Northwest Carts (or something similar) has a shop here and 3 electric carts listed in Kennewick for about $1000, but I really would prefer a gas buggy, being that you can always bring more gas with - electricity is sometimes scarce at most drag strips!
Old 03-26-2012, 01:45 AM   #7
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Yeah nortwest is the one on east trent. I like my gas one and that's what I bought it for was the drag strip. I think you should stick with a gas cart for that reason. I know our drag strip is kinda scarce for outlet in the pits.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:52 AM   #8
ProOnThaSnow
Not Yet Wild

I see pacific has a Par Car (Doesn't state which year) that looks to be in good shape listed for $1200 they just took on trade... I know its a little more than I wanted to spend, but the more I think about it the more I don't want to burn $150 in fuel in my truck, or take the time to go to Lewiston tuesday with that enclosed trailer behind me.

Decisions... decisions...

Unless its an absolute steal on an electric (I've got 2 Generators on my race trailer, the smaller 1800 much quieter than the Briggs on my 5000Watt), but then you're bringing fuel to keep those running either way...

We'll be back here in September for the IFO race (My friends and I are unconventional, we race FWD's)
Old 03-26-2012, 02:01 AM   #9
1fast67
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I lifted my 79 with an 80-93 lift kit. I believe the 78 is identical to mine.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas EZGO