lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO
Electric EZGO Electric EZ GO Marathon, Medalist, TXT and RXV.

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 04-01-2012, 07:27 PM   #1
dcdon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

Default DCS - controller fix vs. Series Conversion

So I've been snooping around this site for the last month or so since my buddy told me how much cooler he was than me since he has a golf cart. So yesterday I bought one.

My cart is a 96 DCS . Batteries are showing 36.1 volts (Purchased April 09) and probably needs a charge and it was sold to me not working. When the key is on and the tow switch is set to "run", the controller smokes. So I'm not expert yet, but I think the controller is shot. The story I got was that it wasn't working and then they replaced the controller and it burned up the replacement immediately. Well, So my decision is to replace broken parts in this DCS, which I think can only be the FR switch, controller, and selanoid (the motor can't burn up the controller can it? ). OR my buddy with the much cooler 07 Series cart is going to upgrade his FR switch, controller, and motor soon and I could get those parts from him for cheap and convert to a series.

The "how it broke" story I got on the cart I bought was that it was sitting in the rain and all of a sudden the reverse beep started going on and then it never ran again after that. sounds weird, but oh well. Now I wait for the experts.
dcdon is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 04-01-2012, 08:40 PM   #2
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Default Re: DCS - controller fix vs. Series Conversion

Properly running your 96 DCS cart will out run the 07 series cart but, you will need very good batteries, aftermarket control & solenoid kit and a few cables. It should go about 20mph with lots of torque.
scottyb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2012, 11:29 AM   #3
dcdon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ScottyB thanks for the info. I've been mulling over what you said. Assuming that I was to purchase your Pkg. 505DCS , I want to figure out how to test it to be sure that that investment would get my cart going. Can I test the motor without a controller? The person I bought it from said their "repairmen" replaced the controller and it immediately burned up the new controller. The controller in there does look quite new and yet smokes when given power.

thoughts?
Old 04-03-2012, 04:53 PM   #4
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

It's likely the problem is a dead short in the wires from the controller to the motor. pull the batteries on the passenger side ~ get a flashlight and check it out. The wires run through a metal loop at the rear of the battery tray.... 9Xs out of 10 they have worn through their insulation and caused a short to the controller.
The result is the controller smokes and so the people put in another and it, well, This will smoke a controller faster than a high school kid with a cigarette in the bathroom.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4938.jpg (182.6 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_4939.jpg (106.0 KB, 0 views)
Old 04-03-2012, 07:12 PM   #5
as350pilot
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Get yourself a brand new cable set, then put in Scotty's DCX controller and solenoid. You will be pretty darned happy for awhile, then you'll what to go 48v.... Scotty is a stand up guy that provides a great product and even better support..

My DCX will outrun most carts I have come across so far, including my buddy's series cart with an AXE500. My cart even beats him off the line.
as350pilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 09:37 AM   #6
dcdon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

ok cool. I think I am sold on keeping the DCS stuff and upgrading the controller.

I will check for those warn wires soon.

So before I purchase the controller I am going to test the motor using the test that is all over this site. If the motor spins, then I know the motor is fine. If the motor is fine and the batteries are OK (the show 36.1 volts, but probably havn't been charged in a while) then I can purchase the controller and know that the only other problem could be in the wiring. I have no problem re-wiring it.
Old 04-04-2012, 01:15 PM   #7
yurtle
Gone Mad
E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
It's likely the problem is a dead short in the wires from the controller to the motor. pull the batteries on the passenger side ~ get a flashlight and check it out. The wires run through a metal loop at the rear of the battery tray.... 9Xs out of 10 they have worn through their insulation and caused a short to the controller.
The result is the controller smokes and so the people put in another and it, well, This will smoke a controller faster than a high school kid with a cigarette in the bathroom.
On mine, the wire strap is riveted to the upright battery holder. Did this one come loose, or am I looking at it wrong?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_4938.jpg (338.3 KB, 0 views)
yurtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2012, 08:33 AM   #8
dcdon
Not Yet Wild
E-Z-GO

This weekend I removed about half of the batteries, and pull the wiring back off the motor. Tested the motor with 6 and 12 volts and the motor tested good. The wiring also looked good with minimal corrosion. The FR switch also looks fine.

Is it possible that I could buy a new Alltrax controller from ScottyB and hook it up and burn it up really quick because I have missed some problem on the cart? Surely these things are backed by fuses or something to protect the Alltrax's. right?
Old 04-09-2012, 09:20 AM   #9
scottyb
Happy Carting

E-Z-GO

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcdon View Post
This weekend I removed about half of the batteries, and pull the wiring back off the motor. Tested the motor with 6 and 12 volts and the motor tested good. The wiring also looked good with minimal corrosion. The FR switch also looks fine.

Is it possible that I could buy a new Alltrax controller from ScottyB and hook it up and burn it up really quick because I have missed some problem on the cart? Surely these things are backed by fuses or something to protect the Alltrax's. right?
Only the new SPM line of controls have reverse polarity protection on the output side.
What this means is that in 99% of the controllers out there, if your motor goes up in smoke it may take the controller with it. May is the key word.
The input is fused.
You have done more than most people do by checking your wires for abrasion at the trouble spot shown above. You are primed for success.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric EZGO