lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car
Electric Club Car Electric DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 02-03-2013, 09:02 AM   #1
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Question 97 CCDS steering

Although new at golf carts, I have posted questions on here recently. I have another question that you might be able to help me with. I have a 97 CCDS that I have been told had been in an accident in the past. I was told by a neighbor that advice was given to not even restore it, but the owner paid for it to be restored anyway. I am unable to question the previous owner as he lives overseas and I have no information for contacting him. However, I can see no evidence of any damage. As a matter of fact, other than a rather tired looking body, the frame looks fine. I can see no evidence of previous damage and it is clean. It was garage kept.

My question is this: My wife complains of slop/play in the steering. When I drive it, I do notice some play in the steering, but it steers real/REAL easy and turns on a dime. Not being familiar with a golf cart, I do not know whether I would look at the tie rods or steering box(?). I am not sure at what to look for. If anyone has the time to respond, it would be greatly appreciated. Perhaps even a photo of what I should look for, if possible. I am slowly tweaking this thing as the budget permits. Being retired, we are on a limited budget, but we plan to use this thing quite often.

This site is a great find. I have noticed overwhelming patience that you maintain for the novice and inexperienced. I am sure that I speak for many others when I offer my thanks.
MDLNB is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 02-03-2013, 01:46 PM   #2
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Re: 97 CCDS steering

Quote:
Originally Posted by MDLNB View Post
My wife complains of slop/play in the steering. When I drive it, I do notice some play in the steering, but it steers real/REAL easy and turns on a dime. Not being familiar with a golf cart, I do not know whether I would look at the tie rods or steering box(?).
Both, the rod ends could be loose and needing replacement.

Going with my experiences with my '97 DS, look at the one at the end of the steering rack first.

1st thing to do - BLOCK THE REAR WHEELS OF THE CART SO IT DOESN'T MOVE! Being run over by your own cart may be good for a YouTube video, but isn't fun in real life.

Shine a flashlight under the passenger side wheel well from the front and watch the end of the rack where it connects to the steering arm. It should be located at the top rear of the tire while facing the cart.

Have your wife move the steering wheel left and right, 1/4 turn of the wheel should be enough.

If the arm moves before the tire turns, replace the rod end and you should be ok.

While you are at it, check the rod ends on the cross bar that connects the two tires together.

If it's not the rod end, someone else with more experience will have to help.

-Scott H.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg help1.jpg (63.2 KB, 0 views)
File Type: jpg help2.jpg (13.3 KB, 0 views)
Scott H. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott H. View Post
Both, the rod ends could be loose and needing replacement.

Going with my experiences with my '97 DS, look at the one at the end of the steering rack first.

1st thing to do - BLOCK THE REAR WHEELS OF THE CART SO IT DOESN'T MOVE! Being run over by your own cart may be good for a YouTube video, but isn't fun in real life.

Shine a flashlight under the passenger side wheel well from the front and watch the end of the rack where it connects to the steering arm. It should be located at the top rear of the tire while facing the cart.

Have your wife move the steering wheel left and right, 1/4 turn of the wheel should be enough.

If the arm moves before the tire turns, replace the rod end and you should be ok.

While you are at it, check the rod ends on the cross bar that connects the two tires together.

If it's not the rod end, someone else with more experience will have to help.

-Scott H.
Wow, what a great response! Thank you. This really helps.
Old 02-06-2013, 05:01 AM   #4
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok, so following the above directions, it appears that the actual ball joint(?) that the tie rod is connected to, is loose. It is moving or shifting back and forth when the steering is turned right and left. That is giving the steering a bit of slop before actually turning the wheels.

Question: Is this something that is easily replaced by the novice? I wonder if tightening the bottom nut on it would secure it so that it would not move, or is it worn to the point that it should definitely be replaced?
Old 02-07-2013, 01:10 AM   #5
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Ok, so following the above directions, it appears that the actual ball joint(?) that the tie rod is connected to, is loose. It is moving or shifting back and forth when the steering is turned right and left. That is giving the steering a bit of slop before actually turning the wheels.
It's the same thing that was wrong with mine, that's why I knew where to tell you to look first. This is what you need:

http://www.cartpartsplus.com/club-ca...od-end-lh.html

$15.95 - Tie rod end for Club Car DS. Left hand thread used on 1976-2011 Passenger Side. Also used on rack connection (your problem with the steering -Scott).

The price is comparable to other venders, but link is to a site sponsor also and Tom is a great person to deal with. If you decide to order from them, please mention you heard about it on Buggies Gone Wild when you order the part to help this place out too if you could.

Quote:
Question: Is this something that is easily replaced by the novice?
Yes. I'll post more on it tomorrow and have pictures for you if it's not raining too bad.

Quote:
I wonder if tightening the bottom nut on it would secure it so that it would not move,
NO! The tie rod end is worn out and when they get that bad, there is a chance it will pop out of the housing and you WILL NOT HAVE CONTROL OF THE CART!

Quote:
or is it worn to the point that it should definitely be replaced?
Yes. See above why.

More to come tomorrow when I can get to my parts cart with a camera.
-Scott H.
Old 02-07-2013, 01:42 AM   #6
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

After a quick site search I found these:

The tie rod end (#22) is that part you need to replace. The lock nut behind it (#26) needs loosened, the nut on the bottom of the tie rod end (#21) will need to be removed, and then the tie rod end should unscrew from the steering arm (#27). You may need to hold the steering arm (#27) with vice grips or a pipe wrench to keep it from turning while loosening the tie rod end (#22).

Reverse the process for replacing it and you should be good to go. Read below for helpful tips though.

Quote:
Originally Posted by scottyb View Post
Measure how far into the rack the tie rod end is threaded on the old unit and duplicate this depth of installation for the least change in current steering geometry & alignment.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fastercarter View Post
When you remove the tie rod you need to be very careful to back off the locknut just a hair and replace the new one to the same point. Mark it if you have to. This will get your toe in to approximately the correct position.
This should let you know how replace the tie rod end.

-Scott H.
Old 02-07-2013, 07:34 AM   #7
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Thank you. Do the new ones come pre-greased or do they require the use of a grease gun? I noticed that they have a nipple on them.
Old 02-07-2013, 04:41 PM   #8
Scott H.
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Thank you. Do the new ones come pre-greased or do they require the use of a grease gun? I noticed that they have a nipple on them.
No problem, I'm glad to help when I can.

Sorry, but I didn't get a chance to take better pictures for you. By the time I got over to where the cart is located, it was raining too hard to even think about getting out the digital camera.

As far as the grease, mine had some in it from the factory but needed filled completely after being installed.

I think they do that so the grease doesn't leak out in shipping or while sitting on the store shelves, but I'm not 100% positive.

-Scott H.
Old 02-07-2013, 05:09 PM   #9
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Ok, got it. Thanks. Guess that is just one more project needed to be performed on this car. Can't complain, considering the price......free. Thanks again.
Old 02-08-2013, 02:42 PM   #10
MDLNB
Gone Wild
Club Car

Found a shop that will come out to the house and replace the tie rod end for about $60. Considering the fact that I don't have all my tools moved down here yet and the fact that this place comes recommended, I find that to be an acceptable deal. I am going to pull the hubs and check the brakes today. If they need work, he will have to take the cart with him. As reasonable as his rates are, I'll probably get him to do it.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Electric Club Car