lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car
Gas Club Car Gas DS, and Precedent golf cars

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 10-26-2013, 11:13 PM   #1
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

Default Precedent zip tie - BIG speed improvement

Earlier today, I placed a somewhat-loose zip tie on the governor spring of my 2007 Precedent gas. It made it faster. A lot faster. My iPhone GPS had it at 20 MPH versus 12 MPH previously.

I did not experience any backfire or any other negative – aside from the fact the engine “smelled hot” when placed back into my garage after a 5 minute ride. Perhaps it’s because it only has about 2 gallons of gas through it since new and is still breaking-in. I don’t know.

I have a tach for it, but have not installed it. What’s the chances I’m exceeding 4000 RPM when floored? Any advice?
Rep is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 10-27-2013, 06:39 AM   #2
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Default Re: Precedent zip tie - BIG speed improvement

I'm guessing you disconnected your limiter also?
If so... It's best to only run at WOT for short bursts until you get to know your cart better, and get the tach put in!

Twice... only twice... I've over revved my engine (WOT, down a hill, to achieve 32)
I could literally "hear" my valves starting to float...and let up the GO pedal.
it's not something I, or anyone should do on a regular basis!

lockman1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2013, 01:43 PM   #3
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

Thanks for the .02, Lockman1. No, I have not (yet?) disconnected the limiter. Since I'm not the only one that will operate the cart, I don't want to give my sons unlimited speed.

Unless advised otherwise, I'll leave the rev limiter alone for right now. If I hear (or hear of) any backfiring, I'll make an adjustment then, and it'll probably be to install a different zip tie that's a little bit less tight.

Thanks also for the comments regarding the idle kit. Sounded crazy to me, but he was the expert.
Old 10-27-2013, 02:39 PM   #4
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Since your rev limiter is still in place, you can run WOT all you want!
You may find when running down a hill at WOT, the engine will cut out... it's normal! it's just the rev limiter is doing it's job!
Just try not to do it all of the time! When the limiter kicks in, and out... it's not good for the engine either!

As for your CC dealer and idle kit... (for future readers>>> http://www.buggiesgonewild.com/gas-c...-problems.html )
I'm thinking that everyone here at BGW... including you... are more of an expert then he is!

A perfect example...
A while back, A buddy and I had stopped at a misc. Ingersol Rand supplier that was selling Club Cars,
This "dealer" was trying to sell golf coarse fleet carts as NEW for 1/2 price!
I told him that they were used because they were used on a golf coarse! BUT... he insisted that they were new!

Then... I showed him a pic of my cart (that I bought... NEW!)
He proceeded to tell me that "Your crazy for doing what you did to your cart! ... that's just plain ludicrous!"!
My buddy and I walked out of there chuckling, and shaking our heads side to side...

Can you guess what type of Club Cars he's trying to sell 5 years later?

To quote Bill Engvall... "Heeeere's your sign!"

There's another .02!
Old 10-27-2013, 10:34 PM   #5
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

So, if I understand your comment correctly, Lockman1, a zip tie on the governor spring disallows full-use of the governor, but does not expose the engine to the same type of wear that disconnecting the rev limiter does. Correct?

If this is the case, I feel confident letting my adult sons take it without real concern that they'll ruin it in a weekend. I realize it's not the BEST condition for the engine, but it seems a lot better than adjusting the governor and removing the wire to the rev limiter. BTW, I did not touch the arm or shaft controlling the governor; only the spring.

This really seems like a no-cost speed enhancement. Now, I think I'll ask Tom to machine the driven clutch and install a spring to allow for some low-end torque / power. I'm assuming the low-end improvement does not affect top speed, correct?

As for the local CC dealer, it wasn't quite what I expected. A pole barn behind a house, with an official-looking CC sign, and two interesting employees. But they're in the master CC directory!
Old 10-28-2013, 06:47 AM   #6
lockman1
What the ....?

Club Car

Your absolutely correct about the function of the zip tie!
The rev limiter is a safety feature, It's preset at Kawasaki at around 3700 to 3900 rpms,
It shuts down the power to the coil killing the engine until the rpm's come back down to a safe speed and restores power to the coil,
which in turn, will not allow the engine to over-rev. (again... it's not good for the engine to "bounce off" of the limiter either!)

I haven't had my driven clutch machined, so I don't really know whether it's affects top speed or not.

As for the boys... It doesn't sound like you trust them very much!
They may not blow the engine up from over revving,
BUT... the cart goes faster... which makes it more fun...
so they may push it and break something else! (hopefully just the cart) You understand that... right?

Old 11-20-2013, 07:57 PM   #7
dave*m
Not Yet Wild

Hey guys I know how to make your car run better if you want to play with the carb and air cleaner box.
I will post it if anyone is interested in it or if your precedent club car floods out and dilutes your oil.It also involves drilling out your main jet.This also gives you more power.
I have done this to about 50 cars so far.
dave*m is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 05:05 AM   #8
ProjectClubCar
Gone Broke

Club Car

am still paying for the last time i let my baby boy(29), borrow the cart........

he did pay for the repairs........its just the point......how do you sink a golf cart in a bayou..... o ya now i remember......you borrow dads.......he wont care
ProjectClubCar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-21-2013, 10:53 PM   #9
KillerCC
Call me Rich

Club Car

I won't even let my wife touch my cart. Unless she wants to pay to help build it, then she can ride shotgun!
KillerCC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2013, 09:00 AM   #10
Rep
Gone Wild

Club Car

Quote:
Originally Posted by dave*m View Post
Hey guys I know how to make your car run better if you want to play with the carb and air cleaner box.
I will post it if anyone is interested in it or if your precedent club car floods out and dilutes your oil.It also involves drilling out your main jet.This also gives you more power.
I have done this to about 50 cars so far.
Post it, Dave!

Tags
performance, precedent, speed, zip, ziptie
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Club Car