lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 05-31-2014, 09:17 AM   #1
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Grounding the frame of a G1

The frame of the G1 is not grounded but what would happen if you were to run a ground strap from the battery - post to the frame. Then if we wanted to operate lights or other accessories we could ground them to the frame. Would this cause any problems?
Cvans is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 05-31-2014, 09:00 PM   #2
heavygs
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Default Re: Grounding the frame of a G1

Cevans- Your frame should be grounded, mine is right next the solenoids, here is a wiring diagram I made off one out of a G1 manual

heavygs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2014, 11:13 PM   #3
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

For me personally it doesn't matter because of the diesel conversion. Over time though I've read posts here where it has been mentioned that you need to run a ground back to the battery instead of using the frame. I was wondering why a person couldn't just run a ground lead from the battery to the frame and use the frame as a ground. Didn't know if this would mess with the forward and reverse ignition or what. No one ever seems to contest the idea that the frame can't be used.
Thanks for your reply.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:49 AM   #4
heavygs
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

I saw your diesel build, looks sweet. I just finished adding a horn, head, brake and backup lights and 2 power outlets to mine and all are grounded to the frame. No issues so far
Old 06-01-2014, 09:22 PM   #5
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks. Everything on mine is grounded to the frame also. The brake light switch set up took more time than anything. Just got it licensed for the road Friday. I have some pending projects that come first and then I hope to paint the rear to match the Yamaha white. Then higher gears.
I like the top and rear bed on yours. If I didn't have a clearance problems with trees I would be tempted to do something similar.
Old 06-01-2014, 09:30 PM   #6
Field6565
Gone Wild

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cvans View Post
Thanks. Everything on mine is grounded to the frame also. The brake light switch set up took more time than anything. Just got it licensed for the road Friday. I have some pending projects that come first and then I hope to paint the rear to match the Yamaha white. Then higher gears.
I like the top and rear bed on yours. If I didn't have a clearance problems with trees I would be tempted to do something similar.
Wow Chris! A street legal G1! Very cool... you're gonna have to update your build so we can see some progress.
Field6565 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2014, 08:16 AM   #7
heavygs
Gone Wild

E-Z-GO

Should have posted this earlier, found an easy fix for the brake light using a motorcycle brake switch. Mounted it on the brake cable holder, there was already a hole there, just had to make it a little bigger.

Old 06-02-2014, 08:23 PM   #8
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quick and easy solution. Nice engineering on your part. Your good with the camera.

I used the control switch from the gas pedal and moved it over to the brake pedal to control the brake lights. Welded a tab to the frame to mount the switch and one on the brake pedal to activate it. Should have taken a photo but I didn't.
Old 06-03-2014, 05:09 PM   #9
sho305
Vegas modded 420

Yamaha

You can use the frame. The issue is if you don't put a ground cable on the frame to battery you can trash the factory wiring. They are not wired for any accessories and will blow fuses and all that. Just remember the engine cradle is not the frame, and make sure your ground cable has a good stout connection preferably up higher so as not to rust/etc. I put mine up by where the rear body mounts behind the seat. IIRC the engine cradle is ground via the generator.
sho305 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2014, 10:33 PM   #10
Cvans
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Thanks sho, that's what I was wondering about. The thing that caught my attention was the fuse on the negative side of the factory wiring.
Quote:
Wow Chris! A street legal G1! Very cool... you're gonna have to update your build so we can see some progress.
I'll try and get some photos posted later this week. Still needs to be painted so it's all one color.
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha