lifted club cars - lifted ezgo
Home FAQDonate Who's Online
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha
Gas Yamaha Gas Yamaha Golf Cars; G1 through "The Drive" and U-Max Utility Vehicles

Post New Thread  Reply

Old 06-15-2014, 11:26 AM   #1
Spudgunman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Default New 2008 G29 owner - was this a ok purchase?

I just picked up a 2008 G29 drive with a rear seat for $2500 - it pushed my budget a little but I really liked getting the rear seat with it.

Before I put money into it for HD springs and lights - I wanted some experience to tell me if I should invest in this cart or try to trade to a 2010 G29
For $3k

My cart runs and drives great loaded it up with 4 large adults and went up hills and such did a zip tie hack to the throttle spring and ave it running at 15mph the car drives perfect far as I can tell backfires but I understand a screw adjustment can fix that. Or buying non etho gas.

I don't think for the near future (1 year) I will upgrade the tires or lift them - it came with new factory tires. I drive on roads and lawns mostly no off road stuff

I read how people say the early units have issues with the axel bearings and such.

So what say you - good deal keep it or consider a change?
Spudgunman is offline   Reply With Quote
Alt Today
BGW

Golf car forum Sponsored Links

Old 06-15-2014, 01:51 PM   #2
robertakamagoo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Default Re: New 2008 G29 owner - was this a ok purchase?

1st thing I did with mine 2007 was change oil put new plug in. I thinking of put HD spring on mine.
robertakamagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 03:04 PM   #3
Spudgunman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Yea I did a standard tuneup. I am cuerious if the problems some people mention are worth moving to a 2010? Or hell with it?
The cart seems to be real nice etc.

I do want to change diff oil
Old 06-15-2014, 04:04 PM   #4
robertakamagoo
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I would keep it clean the carb.
robertakamagoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:25 PM   #5
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

I have a 2007 Drive and it works well for what I use it for (campground duty). The biggest issue with early G29's is clutching, and that can be corrected with some performance clutch mods from Plowman's. Otherwise, these are very nice carts and the engine seems to have a decent amount of torque. Keep the oil clean and it should last a long time (provided it wasn't abused in its previous life).
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 04:55 PM   #6
Spudgunman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

What is clutching? The cart seems to take off nicely and all - what clutch mods helped you? Why did you add them for pavement driving? How it they help?
Old 06-15-2014, 09:11 PM   #7
dbmachine
Gone Wild

07-2012 g29 are all the same carts. 2012.5 to now they made some clutch changes. I would keep the cart you have and save the coin for some good ol plowman love. Don offers a kit that will turn your cart into a whole new animal.
dbmachine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2014, 10:52 PM   #8
Spudgunman
Not Yet Wild
Yamaha

Thanks guys, I went ahead and got some parts for it, seatbelts for the rear seats (kids) new springs for the suspension. some other safety stuff like lights horns and mirrors.

Those plowman parts look nice, right now my system seems to be working - when I stop the rear transmission wheel is in "first gear" so will wait till I get some of the other stuff done to the cart before I start improving any of that stuff.

As for replacing the oil in the Diff and cleaning the carb is there anything special to note about that?
Old 06-16-2014, 01:29 AM   #9
cgtech
Over This Interview Is...

Yamaha

Yamaha recommends "Yamalube friction modified gear lube- part number ACC-SHAFTLU-00" , needs 44oz. Any quality gl-5 gearlube With "friction modifier" (like the stuff for positraction in a car). The internal brakes require the friction modifier.
cgtech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:36 AM   #10
SandbaggerYDRA
Gone Wild

Yamaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spudgunman View Post
What is clutching? The cart seems to take off nicely and all - what clutch mods helped you? Why did you add them for pavement driving? How it they help?
The clutches used in the early G29's had an issue with "backshifting", where it would not completely return the belt to the top of the secondary clutch, which would kill low end power. There were also cases of "grabbing" on takeoff. In my case, mine were simply worn out as was my belt (less than 1" wide). A new secondary and a worked over primary courtesy of Don Plowman, along with a new belt and I have no further issues.
SandbaggerYDRA is offline   Reply With Quote
Go Back   Buggies Gone Wild Golf Cart Forum > Golf Cart Repair and Troubleshooting > Gas Yamaha